Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

I’m not really sure how it’s Guardiola’s fault, I know he gets accused of overthinking at times, but they should have scored far more in the first leg, and lost because 2 goals in 2 minutes pushed them to extra time. I’d personally say more fault lay with the players if you’re being harsh and looking to point blame. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Howay said:

I’m not really sure how it’s Guardiola’s fault, I know he gets accused of overthinking at times, but they should have scored far more in the first leg, and lost because 2 goals in 2 minutes pushed them to extra time. I’d personally say more fault lay with the players if you’re being harsh and looking to point blame. 

Should have replaced his left back - Pardiola would have done.

7 hours ago, Howay said:

It's absolutely on the players, they just collapsed. Guardiola had set them up well, the game plan was working.

That said, I do think club culture plays a part in this beyond just managers and players. Madrid very likely always believed that they could turn it around and go through, even in the dying minutes - because they've done it before and because they've won the damn thing so many times it could more or less be considered 'their' competition. City have never won it, they've never made it over the mental hurdles and each season that monkey will be on their backs. They don't have the weight of history to lean on that says they belong there, they remain pretenders to the throne as it were.

I really do think stuff like that makes a difference, and that Guardiola - if he ever wins it for them - will consider getting them over that line to be the biggest success of his career.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Howay said:

I don't know, if you look at that stat of Delaney's then it does seem to be a recurring thing. If you look at that tie in isolation you'd say that City should have won it easily and it's the players who didn't take their chances but when it keeps happening to the same manager he's the only common denominator.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I don't know, if you look at that stat of Delaney's then it does seem to be a recurring thing. If you look at that tie in isolation you'd say that City should have won it easily and it's the players who didn't take their chances but when it keeps happening to the same manager he's the only common denominator.

I don't think that's wholly true, there'll be plenty of players there now who were their previously. 

I do think Rayvin is right about the mentality thing. The manner of the collapses isn't because Guardiola doesn't know how to see out games, he's done it plenty of times before. The manner of the collapse is because the players on the pitch see the finishing line and panic. Like when CT's on his way home and needs a piss, he's fine 5 minutes away, panics at the driveway, sweating as he puts the key to the lock, fumbles and gently sobs as the damp patch grows on his khaki capri pants. Again.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

It’s a weird one, and maybe he was to blame for some of them but I just can’t see how he has the blame for conceding 2 in 2 minutes he has no real way of controlling that. The players absolutely had to play keep ball to settle down after conceding, but they immediately turned the ball over from the kick off - unless Guardiola was screaming at them to do that I’m not sure what he could have done to cause it. 

It’s possible he made subs or tactical changes in some of the others that led to collapses, I’m not an agenda driven little Manchester United glory hunter like Delaney so will defer to that sad little prick on that one but I just can’t blame Guardiola for his team collapsing against Madrid. His tactical set up absolutely leathered Madrid in the first leg as well, if the players could have took their chances they should have basically been out of sight anyway. 

15 hours ago, Gemmill said:

This lot are gonna be ripe for a fucking off Eddie's runaway sensations on Sunday. Pep to blow the league too. You heard it here first. 

One thing I'm convinced Sunday won't be is a draw. But given their calibre, I think they're more likely to come back from last night's defeat with a vengeance, rather than collapse.

Obviously I hope I am completely wrong on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

One thing I'm convinced Sunday won't be is a draw. But given their calibre, I think they're more likely to come back from last night's defeat with a vengeance, rather than collapse.

I really hope you are wrong. I really dislike Pep. !!

1 hour ago, Craig said:

They'll batter us man. Without the CL, they've 'only' got the Premier League left. I'm convinced they'll go all guns blazing in every fixture, especially when their run in is us, Wolves, West Ham and Villa. Three teams with, realistically, fuck all to play for. Whereas Liverpool have the FA Cup, the Champions League and the PL on their plates. I think Spurs can stop Liverpool winning, but regardless of that result, I think Man City are going to win every fixture they've got left and with some style.

• Like 1

Counterpoint: they'll be feeling sorry for themselves, Liverpool will win on Saturday night to heap the pressure on and Trippier is coming back to link up with Bruno down the right hand side. All other evidence of their ability is completely discounted.

• Haha 1

I'm a City fan. Absolutely gutted about last night. And yes it hurts, But City are still living the dream. Dining at the top table (there's plenty of room on it for you guys) and taking part in some insane games. Went last week and we paid the price for not being clinical enough. Glad you guys stayed up. I always felt (well since January) that you would. Now that you're safe i don't suppose you could take it easy for the rest of the season. Yes i'm a City fan but i'm rooting for Chelsea in the FA Cup and Madrid in the CL. Right how else can i distract myself.

ps There are some people saying that if we don't win the league that Pep should go but thats crazy, we'll probably end up of with 90+ points!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Ok, let me think of a theme.  The Auf Wieders has died

I was going to say The Likely Lads, then I remembered Bolam is a cunt …and a mackem. :lol:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Fair fucks to Rangers this season 

Wild that they pulled that off last night with no strikers, all those early bookings and Aribo having to come off in the first half.

Just seen that starting 11 last night cost them just £13.5m in transfer fees, £12m of that was just for Kent, Goldson and Barisic. Fair fucks indeed.

17 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

I'm a City fan. Absolutely gutted about last night. And yes it hurts, But City are still living the dream. Dining at the top table (there's plenty of room on it for you guys) and taking part in some insane games. Went last week and we paid the price for not being clinical enough. Glad you guys stayed up. I always felt (well since January) that you would. Now that you're safe i don't suppose you could take it easy for the rest of the season. Yes i'm a City fan but i'm rooting for Chelsea in the FA Cup and Madrid in the CL. Right how else can i distract myself.

ps There are some people saying that if we don't win the league that Pep should go but thats crazy, we'll probably end up of with 90+ points!

I think I speak for most of us when I say we'd prefer Liverpool didn't win anything else this season.

Guardiola is one of the best managers out there. These people wanting him gone because you only got the the semi-final of the Champions League... who are they expecting to come in and do better?

• Like 2