The new manager thread

Polarboy

12 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Nah.Read it again.It makes sense.Mandy cannot run the show on her own,and we don’t want a yes man/yes woman advising.We need someone with past connections to the club.

Ok, I’ll humour you. 

What is Simon Jordan’s connection to the club? 

Without going into Jordan’s crap track record at running a club, he also called Staveley a rat, accused her of deluding people, and many other things, I can’t see the loud mouthed orange prick being top of Staveley’s list just because he’s decided to start licking our arse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Mirror are saying we've opened talks with Overmars about being the director of football, and that he'd want to take the current Ajax coach Erik ten Hag with him as the new coach. As I've said I'm very impressed with what Overmars has done at Ajax in terms of finding players, keeping the albeit already legendary Ajax youth system ticking over, and the amount of profit he made for Ajax from players he found that were sold on. ten Hag I'm less sure about given how badly de Boer did at Inter and Palace, although in fairness he wasn't given a lot of time at either. Coming from the Dutch league whether you're a player or coach can be hit or miss. You can be a Suarez or Kezman. But the point I'm making about de Boer and ten Hag is that it's very easy to look great in basically a two team league with most of the best players. Of course I think I'm right in saying that ten Hag's team has been a fair bit more impressive in Europe than de Boer's team. I mean it could be the dream team if it worked out given they presumably already have a great working relationship, which of course is what you want and need between a DOF and coach.

As I've said I'm not convinced by Fonseca even though it could be argued that his CV is a bit more impressive given he's been at a number of big clubs in comparison to ten Hag's Utrecht and Ajax. It should also be said that ten Hag is also an attacking coach who likes to play a high pressing and possession game, which it could be argued is a style of play that is beyond many of the players in our current squad. I can't give a reason backed up with facts, but I just get the feeling ten Hag would be the more solid choice. I mean if only for the fact that's already been stated, that he already has a working relationship with Overmars, and they could perhaps create what they did at Ajax with us, but on a much bigger scale. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

Might be fighting with Man U for the next manager the way this game is going......

Steve Bruce is surely nailed on for the job based on the media.

Edited by rikko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Overmars and Ten Haag link gaining traction.

Id be happy enough with that. They could sort the academy at least!

Having read a bit about ten Hag the one worry I would have is that apparently his grasp of English isn't great. That might be OK if he had a bit time to settle in over a summer, get extra English lessons etc., but to come in this far into the season it wouldn't be ideal to say the least when you need to work quickly. Of course Overmars could translate for him in the short term I suppose, and a poor grasp of English didn't hurt Bielsa, at least for his first season in the league. 

12 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Having read a bit about ten Hag the one worry I would have is that apparently his grasp of English isn't great. That might be OK if he had a bit time to settle in over a summer, get extra English lessons etc., but to come in this far into the season it wouldn't be ideal to say the least when you need to work quickly. Of course Overmars could translate for him in the short term I suppose, and a poor grasp of English didn't hurt Bielsa, at least for his first season in the league. 

I’m pretty sure we can afford a professional translator, mate. :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 23/10/2021 at 01:14, Polarboy said:

I have to say that while I'm excited by the brand of football Fonseca likes to play, should he be confirmed, I do worry that we don't have the players that suit said style, at least of course until we get a transfer window. Obviously people who are far more knowledgeable about football than me will be advising Staveley and the rest of the consortium, but from a relative laymen's perspective it does seem like we are seriously lacking in terms of players who can perform high pressing and possession football. Then again a lot of the players under Bruce looked barely like professional footballers at times, so maybe Fonseca will elevate the form of players like Hayden, Longstaff, maybe even Fraser etc. At least enough so as to get us to January with a few wins under our belt. 

Edit. It should be said that Fonseca has said in the past the he would never compromise the way in which he wants his teams to play, so yeah a lot of coaches would just adapt to the players they have at their disposal, but Fonseca seems very resolute in his idea of how a team should play. Again it could be the we get a good manager bounce and the players prove themselves to be more capable than I am perhaps assuming, but only time will tell. 

I have to admit I do have those concerns myself, but I feel he could turn out to be the next Pochettino. One thing which really attracts me to him is he hasn't made his name yet, which means he is hungry and wants the job. His philosophy will look better with more quality players so we would need to be in touch until January. I don't think he's a dreamer though, he's one of the modern breed of managers so I would imagine he would figure out a way of playing with the players he's got at his disposal. SBR did that when he had Ferguson and Shearer up front, we started going long. But he still shifted to a focus on pace and mobility once he got his feet under the table. 

1 minute ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I have to admit I do have those concerns myself, but I feel he could turn out to be the next Pochettino. One thing which really attracts me to him is he hasn't made his name yet, which means he is hungry and wants the job. His philosophy will look better with more quality players so we would need to be in touch until January. I don't think he's a dreamer though, he's one of the modern breed of managers so I would imagine he would figure out a way of playing with the players he's got at his disposal. SBR did that when he had Ferguson and Shearer up front, we started going long. But he still shifted to a focus on pace and mobility once he got his feet under the table. 

See my earlier post.

1 minute ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I am going to read through the whole thread I think, still working my way backwards 🙂

The Three P’s… preparation and planning prevents piss-poor posting. 

Shit, that’s 6. 

Fuck it. 

• Haha 1

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread