The new manager thread

Polarboy

Note, he didn’t even quote anything the bloke said he’s just reported it and as AH said it’s the bloke that originally made the link. It’s entirely possible that, similar to Fonseca imo, that it’s all a made up link anyway. Then it’s an easy claim and one as I mentioned the media is more than happy to make to say there’s a lack of ambition. If it’s true and there is a difference in that then I imagine it will be more to do with the speed it happens rather than the end goal. 

I get what Rayvin means to a degree but I just don’t see how it does any good if they come out and state they want to dominate football and be the next City/PSG, that would just confirm the fears of the established top sides throughout Europe, it’s better to say something vague about challenging for trophies and let them spin stories about lack of ambition etc for the next few years as the new owners go about sorting the club out. 

Also…

So seems to me a little bit of bullshit spinning by Chelsea fan Law. 

funny that Law never said that before isn’t is? Bullshit artist. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Howay said:

I don’t really see Saudi Arabia investing in a club that competes in the same league as a club owned by the UAE and be content with it being a shit mid table side while the UAE owned side dominates. Same goes with owning one on the same continent as a Qatari club. It just wouldn’t make any sense to me, what would be in it for them to turn us into a steady mid table side? It’s basically cost them £1.3B to buy us if you factor in the payment to settle the BeOut issue, so they’re never making a profit (especially if we are just destined to be a mid table side). 

I know the media are licking their chops at any sign/mention of a lack of ambition from the owners, and constantly spinning any player linked/any imagined link that ‘turns Newcastle down’ as evidence the owners have some weird ambition of buying a football club to watch it stagnate in mid table. As Gemmill says the only things the owners have said about the matter are discussions about competing at that level/challenging for titles, they can’t exactly come out and say we are going to spend £5b on players and be the best side in the footballing world as the reaction from the other clubs would be even larger as they try anything to stop it, better to play their cards closer to their chests. 

I would have agreed a few weeks back but I'm now starting to wonder if this is a lot less about sportwashing and a lot more about PIF diversifying its holdings. If it's the latter then who knows what their angle is longer term - but given how things have gone so far I actually believe it's quite possible that they didn't really give due consideration to how much work would be required of them to turn us into a competitive club. The fact that they've come in with no one on board who is really abreast of the football side of things continues to bother me on this front. The fact that we're kind of making it up as we go along doesn't suggest 'future global heavyweight'.

I do want to make clear that if they turn us into a vaguely competitive club that stands a chance of winning literally any trophy in my lifetime, I'll be more than happy, Delighted even. But I'm going to stop assuming that we're going to be a superclub until we actually start looking like one. Until the money is spent and the plans firm up, I'm reserving judgment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I would have agreed a few weeks back but I'm now starting to wonder if this is a lot less about sportwashing and a lot more about PIF diversifying its holdings. If it's the latter then who knows what their angle is longer term - but given how things have gone so far I actually believe it's quite possible that they didn't really give due consideration to how much work would be required of them to turn us into a competitive club. The fact that they've come in with no one on board who is really abreast of the football side of things continues to bother me on this front. The fact that we're kind of making it up as we go along doesn't suggest 'future global heavyweight'.

I do want to make clear that if they turn us into a vaguely competitive club that stands a chance of winning literally any trophy in my lifetime, I'll be more than happy, Delighted even. But I'm going to stop assuming that we're going to be a superclub until we actually start looking like one. Until the money is spent and the plans firm up, I'm reserving judgment.

Why diversify into what would be a purely loss maker? They’ve sunk £1.3B into it already which they’re likely never recouping, I can’t see it being any benefit investment wise even tight arse Ashley made maybe £200m profit maybe total? Between the gain on sale and his bleeding of the club through loan repayments, not sure how that would ever be worth their time. The only way it would ever be a relevant asset in that manner would be to turn us into a Man City type club - but even then who the fuck out there is paying £3B to buy a football club. 

We won’t know until years down the line but like we’ve seen in my post above the whole Emenalo link was total bullshit by Law (seems like the Telegraph writers in general are a waste of time now btw), who was using it to further his little agenda of spinning the new owners as having low ambitions. Again I’m not claiming to be some massive ITK but I know for a fact the links to Trippier and Sule are genuine and there have been talks with both to bring them in for January - whether that happens is one thing but to me it’s a far greater indicator of their ambitions than idiots like Law embarrassing themselves. He didn’t count on the new owners being willing to call him out in Twitter did he :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Howay said:

Why diversify into what would be a purely loss maker? They’ve sunk £1.3B into it already which they’re likely never recouping, I can’t see it being any benefit investment wise even tight arse Ashley made maybe £200m profit maybe total? Between the gain on sale and his bleeding of the club through loan repayments, not sure how that would ever be worth their time. The only way it would ever be a relevant asset in that manner would be to turn us into a Man City type club - but even then who the fuck out there is paying £3B to buy a football club. 

We won’t know until years down the line but like we’ve seen in my post above the whole Emenalo link was total bullshit by Law (seems like the Telegraph writers in general are a waste of time now btw), who was using it to further his little agenda of spinning the new owners as having low ambitions. Again I’m not claiming to be some massive ITK but I know for a fact the links to Trippier and Sule are genuine and there have been talks with both to bring them in for January - whether that happens is one thing but to me it’s a far greater indicator of their ambitions than idiots like Law embarrassing themselves. He didn’t count on the new owners being willing to call him out in Twitter did he :lol: 

Could it not be a relevant asset in terms of advertising for other parts of the portfolio? i.e. the same thing Ashley was doing.

I'm just saying I'm wary of getting carried away until we've seen them walk the walk. Granted it's far too early to expect them to have done that so far, but on the other hand it's far too early to assume we'll be a superclub, especially since they haven't outright said it (and yes, I do appreciate your suggested reasons on why they could have done that, but while that stance would indeed be sensible, it doesn't prove anything).

I would be very encouraged by the signings you've mentioned there. Equally though, I wouldn't write the superclub vision off even if we did hardly anything in January and went down. We just don't know what this will look like in the end.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Could it not be a relevant asset in terms of advertising for other parts of the portfolio? i.e. the same thing Ashley was doing.

I'm just saying I'm wary of getting carried away until we've seen them walk the walk. Granted it's far too early to expect them to have done that so far, but on the other hand it's far too early to assume we'll be a superclub, especially since they haven't outright said it (and yes, I do appreciate your suggested reasons on why they could have done that, but while that stance would indeed be sensible, it doesn't prove anything).

I would be very encouraged by the signings you've mentioned there. Equally though, I wouldn't write the superclub vision off even if we did hardly anything in January and went down. We just don't know what this will look like in the end.

I don’t really see it being relevant in that respect especially if the intended aim isn’t to be some super club. It would be fairly low interest advertising on an expensive billboard. 

Think we agree there’s no way of knowing the true intention until things start to move. I don’t think even if they come out and said it that it would be more likely as again it’s just words, Ashley himself said he wouldn’t leave unless he won a trophy and then made the team even worse. I’m wary myself but I also don’t see many reasons to not be somewhat confident that their sights are set high, I’m not particularly worried either way as tbh it’s already miles better than Ashley era given we have a manager we like. 

My real point here was more don’t take any messages of low ambition from these journalists. They’re speaking completely out of turn and know fucking nothing - as clearly seen by Law getting an absolute smack down from Mehrdad likely brought on by yet another senseless and snidey insult made by Law about Amanda (funny that Telegraph writers seem to have it in for her).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

My real point here was more don’t take any messages of low ambition from these journalists. They’re speaking completely out of turn and know fucking nothing - as clearly seen by Law getting an absolute smack down from Mehrdad likely brought on by yet another senseless and snidey insult made by Law about Amanda (funny that Telegraph writers seem to have it in for her).

All fair, this in particular I'll agree with vehemently.

• Like 1

I think Howe's is marginally lower across his 4 games but tbf, he's had one where we played with 10 men for 80 minutes and one away to Arsenal. 

It'll take longer for you to see a meaningful difference. 

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

@The Fish Can you show stats of xG Under Bruce compared to xG Under Howe?  Are you the man for this job?

Like Gemmil says, Eddie's a little lower than Steve, but had less time and mitigating circumstances.

Manager Season Pos Team M W D L G GA PTS xG xGA xPTS xGpG xGApG xPtpG
Bruce 19/20 13 Newcastle 38 11 11 16 38 58 44 36.49 67.03 31.92 0.96 1.76 0.84
Bruce 20/21 12 Newcastle 38 12 9 17 46 62 45 43.96 60.02 42.65 1.16 1.58 1.12
Bruce 21/22 19 Newcastle 8 0 3 5 10 19 3 9.33 15.47 6.77 1.17 1.93 0.85
Howe 21/22 15 Newcastle 6 1 3 2 6 10 6 5.62 9.79 5.8 0.94 1.63 0.97

Honestly we just need to secure our status for next season and then the real fun can begin. You wouldn't begrudge someone not wanting to commit to this project because of the real and immediate risk of relegation.

• Like 4