The new manager thread

Polarboy

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

What you're failing to understand is that for some inexplicable reason Bruce was never given a chance at any of the big teams, so of course his win rate at shit teams is going to terrible, and obviously those teams being shit had absolutely nothing to do with him and his "coaching". 

Exactly. Given a limitless budget he could’ve been almost adequate. Did you know he’s a nice guy, he deserves some respect or something

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Steve Bruce PL win rate: 27.9%
Roberto Martinez PL win rate: 30.6%

You don’t become the richest football club in the world and employ a manager only marginally less shit than your last one.

That's fair like, didn't realise Martinez record was so poor. Was he not heavily touted for the Liverpool job in the run up them hiring Klopp? Sure I remember spouting my usual "don't read too much into the betting" patter when it was Martinez and Villas-Boas the favourites.

Martinez took over a fairly solid but unspectacular Everton side if memory serves and everyone was wanking about his first season where they still managed to keep solid but had some flair. Second season the D Day landing fleet could've passed through their midfield and back line. A bit like Bruce carrying over the Rafa effect for a while. He's not what we need in our boat.

• Like 6

I'll concede you've convinced me on Martinez. Actually agree he's underperformed with Belgium too.

2.5% though. That's like going from draught Guinness to Nigerian Guinness. Not really sessionable but a readily available short term quick fix. 

I still reckon he could a be more useful short term appointment than someone like Eddie Howe like. Even just in terms of the type of player he could attract.

27 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I'll concede you've convinced me on Martinez. Actually agree he's underperformed with Belgium too.

2.5% though. That's like going from draught Guinness to Nigerian Guinness. Not really sessionable but a readily available short term quick fix. 

I still reckon he could a be more useful short term appointment than someone like Eddie Howe like. Even just in terms of the type of player he could attract.

Well the reasoning I was given was that he has a lot of international links with players, and of course knows the Premiership. 

I wonder where the Martinez link first came from? I seem to remember it started around the time we hired Graeme Jones, supposedly he was being brought in for Martinez to arrive following the Euros. 

We may be the richest club on paper but we are miles away from being where we need to be for someone top level to consider us. Weird that this has all happened at a time where there isn't an obvious stand out candidate that the board and fans would unite with. Probably why it's taking them longer to make a decision on what to do. 

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Big Dunc isnt a bad shout until the end of the season :lol:

Would at least get the players motivated and take the edge off the "nasty House of Saud" narrative.

24 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

Well the reasoning I was given was that he has a lot of international links with players, and of course knows the Premiership. 

I wonder where the Martinez link first came from? I seem to remember it started around the time we hired Graeme Jones, supposedly he was being brought in for Martinez to arrive following the Euros. 

That was my logic. He's no world beater but would surely arrive with a fairly solid short term plan. Should be able to consolidate and attract some better players, and would be easy to fuck over in June without much fanfare. Long term he'd be a liability though. 

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I enjoyed seeing Dunc when he took on the caretaker role at Everton. The players certainly lifted their game and he was passionate as fuck. 

I walk by his parents house on the way to my preferred local boozer pretty regularly. His dad's well into homing pigeons.

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The homeless problem for pigeons is one of the great tragedies of this millennium. 

Glad to see someone addressing it. 

:lol: in the first lockdown i went cycling. I cycled passed a bloke who was releasing some homing pigeons. I nodded to him and said hello. His reply.

'we're supposed to be in lockdown, essential travel only you cunt' 

:lol:

• Haha 8

36 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The homeless problem for pigeons is one of the great tragedies of this millennium. 

Glad to see someone addressing it. 

Surely needs to be pretty high up on the list of priorities when looking for a new manager. Bruce was a nice guy and had playing experience at the highest level but it's fair to assume his parents weren't into their homing pigeons.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I walk by his parents house on the way to my preferred local boozer pretty regularly. His dad's well into homing pigeons.

I have no idea where anyone’s parents other than my own and wor lass’s live.

Is there a blue plaque outside their hoose?

“Here live the Maw n Paw of wee Big Dunc: Mr Bigger Dunc and Mrs Biggest Duncet”

• Haha 2

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread