The new manager thread

Polarboy

Fonseca is obviously just too much of an unknown quantity at this stage. If we were mid-table with a well balanced squad might well have been worth a punt, but they need someone who can come in and get points from the get go, Fonzy is more of a 'let's dream the dream!' option. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I'm not big on bringing back Rafa at this point. Before he signed for Everton, he would definitely have been up there, but since he's always been harking to go back home to Merseyside, my impression is that other than Liverpool, he's probably where he wants to be right now. I don't really want NUFC to be anyone's rebound. 

I would prefer to go with a fresh start, and would like to get someone who has more of a reputation for attacking football. Conte, Pep, Poch and Klopp....the way they play the game excites me, I think we should be looking for someone who shares a similar philosophy. 

• Like 5

I don’t think snatching a manager off somebody is a rebound but I agree I’d enjoy a more expansive style if possible. 

Although bar some mad fluke from Pardew our best football under Ashley was probably under Rafa.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t think snatching a manager off somebody is a rebound but I agree I’d enjoy a more expansive style if possible. 

Although bar some mad fluke from Pardew our best football under Ashley was probably under Rafa.

Despite his many failings we had some really enjoyable games under the self appointed king. Mind you we had some quality players as well; Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, Wijnaldum, Colo, Jonas, Shane Ferguson and an untold number of substitute left backs.

• Haha 3

Aye totally agree regarding Rafa.  The one thing that Rafa got was the club, the fans, the area.  He just got it.  Whether that's because it's a similar thing to the Scousers, i.e football means a hell of a lot to the area, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

But you can't snatch a manager if he himself doesn't want to leave. I suppose Everton could still do the deal, and he'd come if that was the case, but really, given the choice I think he'd prefer to try and succeed on Merseyside. That's what I mean about taking us on the rebound. 

According to Romano we're trying something big in terms of who we want to hire as manager, but it's proving difficult because managers of that calibre understandably want to mull it over given our current position. He also reiterates that Fonseca would be more than happy to take it, so obviously he's not the something big. https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/10/news/newcastle-united-fabrizio-romano-issues-big-newcastle-manager-claim/

44 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Conte will be at Man Utd soon so that's him out.

Ten Hag is another one high on their list. At this point I might be tempted to go for the ones who are willing to take the job now rather than the managers who keep us hanging around in case Man U come calling. We can always take Conte or whoever off them in a few years once we've established ourselves as the biggest club in Britain with our limitless dosh £££££

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If we get too big a name at this point, they could easily have their head turned if a bigger job becomes available. I bet it's a right fuck on trying to sort this out. 

Someone just needs to make a decision. We've got a run of winnable games coming up and ideally the manager would have had a couple of weeks with the squad. They need to forget about Rafa. He's 3 months into a job at another club and we don't have time to fanny on courting him for weeks on end to try and convince him to quit 

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread