The new manager thread

Polarboy

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

One day Eddie Howe caught Corona

which gave Graeme Jones a big boner

As the team was selected

A buzzing was detected

Graeme, can you come meet the owner

There’s 15 seconds of my life I’m not getting back, and 6 hours of CT’s gone. 

• Haha 9

According to Craig Hope, Howe still has a chance to be in the dugout for Arsenal. Tindall has been confirmed to be taking the pre-match press on Friday, but if Howe can pass a Covid test the same day, then he'll be cleared to take charge. Conveniently Eddie's symptoms appear to have started exactly ten days before the Arsenal game 😂 Or at least that appears to be what Hope is saying. 

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe will discover on Friday if he can lead the side out at Arsenal | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 4

On 24/11/2021 at 19:36, Polarboy said:

According to Craig Hope, Howe still has a chance to be in the dugout for Arsenal. Tindall has been confirmed to be taking the pre-match press on Friday, but if Howe can pass a Covid test the same day, then he'll be cleared to take charge. Conveniently Eddie's symptoms appear to have started exactly ten days before the Arsenal game 😂 Or at least that appears to be what Hope is saying. 

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe will discover on Friday if he can lead the side out at Arsenal | Daily Mail Online

Apparently he's allowed back. Returned negative test. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Apparently he's allowed back. Returned negative test. 

Only allowed back because of the negative test and the fact that the club suddenly traced his symptoms (despite not having any) to ten days before the match. Funny that. :lol: 

This is not a direct criticism of Howe, because it's something we've seen with so many managers and I'm sure it happens elsewhere but how is it that he can't have realised that Fede is the best defender we have at the club? Simply watching back games from our recent history would have told Howe and his team this. It's one thing to train well, but if you can't do it during games then you shouldn't be selected over someone who can. Lascelles and Clark have been left wanting time and time again, and whilst Fernandez is not perfect he's clearly stood out as a better defender than both whenever he has played.

I would have thought that even before accepting the job Howe would have been watching all of our games to get a real understanding of what he was working with, and then having been given the job again him and his team should be going back over games to help with player improvement but also critically with team selection. It's the same with Ritchie being played as a fullback, his extra enthusiasm and supposed free kick ability have to take a back seat to his poor defensive positioning.

I just don't get it. Howe has come out now on several occassions saying that Fernandez is an absolute professional and that he had a great game etc, but why has it taken a sending off of an inferior player for this to be realised?

• Like 2

I feel like there must have been something going on with Fede and his fitness for him to miss out.

It’s easy to say from the outside why isn’t this player playing?, but we don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors. 

It’s easy to come up with conspiracy theories about players, it’s harder to say for sure why some are playing or not.

• Like 3

Both Tindall and Howe have spoken highly, albeit evasively about Fernández in recent press conferences.

Who knows why he has been ignored till now.

Might be an old issue, and that would lead to me thinking it may have something to do with his relationship with Graeme Jones, or at least Jones’s opinion of him as a player. The overlap is there.

But hey as strawb says that’s conspiracy theory stuff.

Makes you think though.

It makes you wonder how many more points we may have if we'd been selecting our best defense; one that does not include Lascelles, Clark or Ritchie (or Darlow).

IMO Jones should have been fucked off when Howe came. Hes deffo got too much of Staveleys ear to he made an assistant along with Tindall. 

He's clashed with Fede and that's clear. He also rates fucking Krafth and Clark. I hope Howe now turns to him and tells him he is cone man as his 'experiment' with playing shite is clearly wrong. 

• Like 2

Still though, watching a back catalogue of our games would have given him and his team this information regardless of what Jones said.

Clark is unfortunately a hairs breath from a clanger far too often and Lascelles is all huff and puff when it comes to actual defending. Ritchie is too reactive and impulsive to defend, his positioning and marking is all over the place. It's fair enough as he's near the end of his career and has never been a natural defender. As for Krafth, you could probably carry him as a fullback if the rest of your defense was strong. We don't have that luxury so he's far from good enough to start.

You're all right though, the retention of Jones is unnatural and appears to have had a disruptive effect. He did well for us historically, aiding some of Bruce's major deficiencies he should have been thanked and moved on.

I also think Howe does have to shoulder some blame. Ultimately he is the gaffer and the one who the buck stops with him.  He has said that he doesn't want to make too many changes too soon.  I get that.  But the three players that have ultimately cost us points in Darlow, Krafth and Clark should have been nowhere near the pitch.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

I also think Howe does have to shoulder some blame. Ultimately he is the gaffer and the one who the buck stops with him.  He has said that he doesn't want to make too many changes too soon.  I get that.  But the three players that have ultimately cost us points in Darlow, Krafth and Clark should have been nowhere near the pitch.  

Tbf, he’s also figuring out his best team. He can watch them in training all he likes but it can’t replicate actual games. Let’s not forget that Rafa actually played Steven Taylor once and that went about as disastrously for him as it did for Clark and he was never seen again. I’m certain this will be the same outcome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OTF said:

Still though, watching a back catalogue of our games would have given him and his team this information regardless of what Jones said.

Clark is unfortunately a hairs breath from a clanger far too often and Lascelles is all huff and puff when it comes to actual defending. Ritchie is too reactive and impulsive to defend, his positioning and marking is all over the place. It's fair enough as he's near the end of his career and has never been a natural defender. As for Krafth, you could probably carry him as a fullback if the rest of your defense was strong. We don't have that luxury so he's far from good enough to start.

You're all right though, the retention of Jones is unnatural and appears to have had a disruptive effect. He did well for us historically, aiding some of Bruce's major deficiencies he should have been thanked and moved on.

Schar has got a clanger in him too, even though he’s the best of them at playing out from the back. They’re all a bit shit in their own way. Fernandez is the only one you would say should definitely get a game every week, which makes his exclusion all the more baffling. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Schar has got a clanger in him too, even though he’s the best of them at playing out from the back. They’re all a bit shit in their own way. Fernandez is the only one you would say should definitely get a game every week, which makes his exclusion all the more baffling. 

Completely agree with the bit in bold.  However, even Fernandez should not be starting, not because he is not the best of the bunch defence-wise, but because we should have a much better back four, which is yet another of Cashley and Cabbage's bequests to PIF.

• Like 1