The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

I'm honestly no trying to bring you all down here after that momentus occasion, just surprised there's no been a word for Ginola's brutal insight: (paraphrasing here) "hopefully they've just saved that person's life. Im lucky to be still be here. Learn some fucking basic first aid please".

From Wikipedia: "In the afternoon of 19 May 2016, Ginola was playing a charity football match at the home of Jean-Stéphane Camerini (the organiser of the Mapauto Golf Cup) in Mandelieu-la-Napoule in the southeast of France when he suddenly collapsed due to cardiac arrest and then fell into a coma. He was administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the pitch by fellow footballer Frédéric Mendy. Minutes later, a team of medics who had arrived in an ambulance used a defibrillator on him; it took five shocks from the machine to restore normal heart rhythm within 10 minutes. Ginola was airlifted minutes later by a helicopter to the Cardiothoracic Center of Monaco 40 km northeast of Mandelieu, where he underwent an immediate, six-hour, operation. Professor Gilles Dreyfus, who operated on Ginola, said that were it not for Mendy who administered CPR on him, he would be dead or suffer permanent brain damage."

• Like 1

Incredible first couple of minutes though, quality goal as well with the thumping finish off Wilson. Sort of a lovely little glimpse into the future if we can manage to survive this season :) 

4 hours ago, Chaser said:

Given the defib was rushed across the pitch it seems that way.

Rushed my arse.

It took far longer than it should have. Regardless as to what they said on Sky’s after match bollocks. From where I was sitting on the opposite side of the ground we could see loads of folk shouting and even some decent soul waving a white flag/hanky thing, for several minutes The bloke who eventually trotted out from one of the dugouts (with the defib) seemed to have no urgency to me.  IMHO.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Rushed my arse.

It took far longer than it should have. Regardless as to what they said on Sky’s after match bollocks. From where I was sitting on the opposite side of the ground we could see loads of folk shouting and even some decent soul waving a white flag/hanky thing, for several minutes The bloke who eventually trotted out from one of the dugouts (with the defib) seemed to have no urgency to me.  IMHO.

Thought the same like even just watching on tv. Think it was the club doctor with the defibrillator, stood on the sidelines looking about himself waiting for instructions or permission to cross the pitch. 

The only real urgency seemed to come from the players and fair fucking play to them. Can't help but wonder if that defibrillator would've made it across the stadium had they not all downed tools and let everyone know there was an emergency in the stands.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Like 1

There was understandable confusion. As soon as the Spurs players came over and explained (big well done to them) the docs were off quickly with the equipment. The man’s life was saved. They don’t deserve any criticism.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Guys, I don't know about you, but I don't think the medical professionals who saved that persons life saved it well enough.

I get the point you're making, it's just hard not to wonder if the medical professionals would've got there had the on field players not reacted the way they did.

1 minute ago, Blastronaut said:

I get the point you're making, it's just hard not to wonder if the medical professionals would've got there had the on field players not reacted the way they did.

Ah no, and thats absolutely fair, Ewerk pretty much nailed it really.

Reguilon and Dier deserve a lot of credit but no one in that entire situation deserves any criticism.

• Like 1

Just now, Blastronaut said:

Bit like wondering if the ambulance would've got to the scene if someone had not dialed 911.

2 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Bit like wondering if the ambulance would've got to the scene if someone had not dialed 911.

Fuck off with that patter. Missed the point entirely and clearly not read the quote about David Ginola's experience.

Ultimately I don’t see this as an issue of contention. The job of saving lives is on the paramedics at the ground. Due to the actions of the Spurs players they alerted the more qualified club staff and they saved the guy’s life. A good result all round.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What part of it? I only saw on TV so didn’t see what you saw.

The ‘docs’ plural bit for instance mate….

Pipe down on the fact that I saw a man nearly die and in my humble opinion the reaction from the medical professionals associated with the two teams on display today were a little slow on the off. Aye?

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Ultimately I don’t see this as an issue of contention. The job of saving lives is on the paramedics at the ground. Due to the actions of the Spurs players they alerted the more qualified club staff and they saved the guy’s life. A good result all round.

Apparently the club doctors should be constantly scanning the 52,000 for any signs of heart weakness. They also shouldnt need to be pointed out where to rush to from the 52,000 in case there is any issue.

11 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Apparently the club doctors should be constantly scanning the 52,000 for any signs of heart weakness. They also shouldnt need to be pointed out where to rush to from the 52,000 in case there is any issue.

Maybe it shouldn't take 22 premier League players collectively downing tools and appealing for medicals professionals to get a defibrillator to someone having a heart attack in the stands.

• Like 1