The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I think the Hawthorns is the highest professional ground above sea level in England. Tow Law is the highest iirc. So you can add that to Cyrille Regis ;)

Pretty certain West Brom was the southernmost of the original 12 Football League teams in 1888. Which seems utterly crazy! The Hawthorns is only marginally further south than Villa Park.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

The irony of Luke Edwards being shocked at football fans holding a grudge is hilarious.

Steve Bruce's best quality is surely his ability to get a few people on his side. He must be likeable in person, because in the media spotlight he's prickly, inarticulate and bland. At least Steve McClaren had an avuncular charm. He was shit, but I never hated him. 

He's claimed that the abuse is nothing he ever experienced before, at every club when the limitations of his ability are laid bare. He said the mackems hated him because he was a Geordie, that Villa fans hated him because he managed Birmingham, we hated him because he managed Sunderland. When, in truth, we all disliked him because of his personality and, more importantly, his football. 

We disliked him because he was fucking shit. No other agenda at play Steve, you're just fucking wank at the job you're paid handsomely to do. Any hatred is born out of a complete lack of respect he consistently showed to the fans he regularly claimed he was one of. Remember the post match conference after the Spurs game when someone was shouting "get out of our club!" in the empty stadium to which he replied "Let's just ignore the idiot, shall we?"

What question went over my mind was .... if the stadium was empty of fans, who shouted that line? My money's on Jamie Reuben :lol:

• Like 1

Funnily enough I know someone who works at the stadium on match days. And they said this when he’d only been at the club a short while so it wasn’t down to results. They reckon he treated the staff with disdain whereas most of the players were nice and friendly with the staff. Also there’s the landlord stuff. So he’s not even nice in person. Luke Edwards liking him does nothing to alter that view imo 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Funnily enough I know someone who works at the stadium on match days. And they said this when he’d only been at the club a short while so it wasn’t down to results. They reckon he treated the staff with disdain whereas most of the players were nice and friendly with the staff. Also there’s the landlord stuff. So he’s not even nice in person. Luke Edwards liking him does nothing to alter that view imo 

I caught a bit of Edwards on R5 I think it was? Anyway, presenter and him waffling about the transfers in January then he's prompted to discuss our transfer window and he says something like, 'Have I got to?" and acting like it was a chore? :lol: Why did he think he was on? Him, a NE football correspondent? To talk about Leyton Orient? He seems to like it up here but his Bruce baiting of the fans and I his Robson memories from another time I heard him on the radio or a podcast were basically digs at our support added to the, (what I took), as baiting of the fans saying SBR did a much better job at NUFC than Keegan which I thought was a bit strange? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

He’s given his son a job as coach. 

That’s the  highly-regarded, vastly experienced coach, Alex Bruce. 
Who has just passed his coaching tickets. :lol:

Still…

Nowt like a bit of nepotism to keep things interesting. Although he's got someway to go to emulate Sir Alex. Remember when he immediately recalled his players from Preston when they sacked Darren? :lol:

• Haha 2

As per Birmingham Live, he said: "You look at it, and you want to go away - but the only way is to get back on the horse. It's gone, behind me, now we move forward.

"Newcastle is gone. It's a chapter of my football life. I want them to do well under Eddie. In a few years they might think finishing 12th and 13th mightn't have been so bad after all.

"Now it's time to take West Brom forward.

what a deluded fuckwit, where does he see us being in a few years??

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Danny Welbeck, Matty James? 

Ben Foster tells a story about when he was playing non-league at Wrexham on loan from Stoke. Darren Ferguson was manager at Wrexham, told Foster not to sign a new deal with Stoke as Fergie was after after him and could sign him on a free.  

Alex Bruce really is bottom rung of footballing sons. Became a millionaire footballer off the back of his old man giving him deals. Couldn't cut it at Blackburn, so Bacon Breath takes him to Birmingham. Fair play, he played decent amount at Ipswich, but was handed another bone at Hull.

paul dalglish has probably made a canny living out of football too, although granted with not quite the same level of blatant nepotism as brucey's boy.

I'd be astonished if kenny's lad comes even close to challenging alex in the cunt stakes mind!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tooner said:

As per Birmingham Live, he said: "You look at it, and you want to go away - but the only way is to get back on the horse. It's gone, behind me, now we move forward.

"Newcastle is gone. It's a chapter of my football life. I want them to do well under Eddie. In a few years they might think finishing 12th and 13th mightn't have been so bad after all.

"Now it's time to take West Brom forward.

what a deluded fuckwit, where does he see us being in a few years??

:lol: What a prick. If anyone wants a little insight into why Newcastle fans don’t like Bruce this is one of the reasons right here. Saying he hopes we do well but then implies we will be wishing we come 12th, what a helmet. 

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: What a prick. If anyone wants a little insight into why Newcastle fans don’t like Bruce this is one of the reasons right here. Saying he hopes we do well but then implies we will be wishing we come 12th, what a helmet. 

the repulsive fat cunt rarely had a grasp on our results when he managed us. I'd be astonished if he's took the remotest interest since he fucked off with his £8m.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Craig said:

Have a read of this waffle from the deluded shit eating cunt.

E0B87A83-36FB-4D1D-9167-6FFBDC9ADB4A.png

wasn't sacked immediately enough. 

his presence at the tottenham game tainted the euphoria of getting rid of ashley and I hope to fuck the ludicrous pr decision to keep the clueless fat cunt on for his 1000th game and subsequent inevitable loss of 3 points doesn't come back and bite us on the arse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Remember that weird spell of West Brom based WUMs coming on here a while back? 

Anyone fancy a raiding party :lol:

Not worth it, let them learn it themselves, slowly but surely.

Bruce talking about finishing mid table is a complete misnomer because it wholly ignores hs most recent history here where he was a nailed on certainty to relegate us.

The fact that we fluked a couple of mid table finishes despite him rather than because of him is not going to change anyone's mind who is at least semi informed.

I honestly don't care what happens at West Brom, just happy that this cretin is no longer at our club.

• Like 5

the fat cunts two lower mid table finishes were the result of a david lynch like, surreal and bizarre fluke whereby defenders were scoring 20 minutes in to injury time every other game. and willock hitting a purple patch he'll never produce again if he lives to be 183.

yer couldn't fucking hallucinate man

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

On face of it, yeah - 13th, good stuff but in 19/20 we we're pretty much safe after beating Southampton away before season was shut down. We came back, got a couple of good results - Bournemouth away stands out due to it being a rare genuine good attacking performance - but we pissed away the rest of the season; no wins in 6, and rolling over for our bellies to be tickled by Man City at home in the cup. That speaks to Bruce himself having his feet up and on the beach.

Quarters of FA Cup and going out to City in 19/20 reflects decently enough on Bruce on the face of it, but totally misses drawing away to Rochdale, drawing at home to Oxford and needing 120mins to get across line in replay, and blasting into a 3-0 lead away at WBA only to take foot off gas and whimper through 3-2.

As with much of Bruce's career, to the untrained eye (which is vast, vast majority of media) he can get away with doing 'decent' jobs, but at every club he's managed his 'achievements and success' are built on sand, filled with falsehoods and selective reality. 

Fuck knows why he's so proud to finish 12th and 13th anyway. So fucking what. Sums up why I hated the bloke so much, just such a quick acceptance of mediocrity. He's about as far removed from a natural winner you could ever get in a manager that's been in the game so long.

You can only go on you're own experiences. Mine are from the early eighties, others from before that. He's a fucking idiot if he thinks he was singled out. He's comfortably the worst manager we've had with only Souness, McLaren etc for company. 

8 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

You can only go on you're own experiences. Mine are from the early eighties, others from before that. He's a fucking idiot if he thinks he was singled out. He's comfortably the worst manager we've had with only Souness, McLaren etc for company. 

It's a good point that I hadn't thought of - managers pre Hall era could be said to have operated in Ashley like conditions and still did better than him in terms of football quality and results for the main part. 

• Like 3

Nice start for the cabbage as West Brom went down 0-2 and had a player sent off at Sheffield United. The blades now join WBA on points with 2 games in hand outside the playoff spots. Next up for Steve is third placed Blackburn.

• Haha 6

On 04/02/2022 at 23:33, Howmanheyman said:

The fundamental aspect that sets him apart from everyone else is fitness, or shall we say the lack of it.

It's absolutely clear from the early soundbites after Howe was appointed that the fitness levels were as shocking as assumed they were. There's no way he can defend that. Lack of ability, tactical awareness, etc is not something you can the blame at individuals for - they are what they are. But lack of fitness is just downright fucking laziness, and it's his attitude to that which I found unforgiveable. 

Still, I'm sure he'll send Alex along to tell me I'm picking on his Dad .... again :idiot:

• Like 3

On 04/02/2022 at 23:33, Howmanheyman said:

Up there with Allardyce and Kinnear 

• Like 2