The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

33 minutes ago, Craig said:

Bruce will be seething! :lol: Watch him unleash junior to say he's being bullied again.

Nah, it’s all in the past…

”Newcastle is gone. It's a chapter of my football life. ”

:lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Nah, it’s all in the past…

”Newcastle is gone. It's a chapter of my football life. ”

:lol:

Yep. Spent the majority of his first WBA press conference to say so as well, didn't he? :lol:

Any other manager: "That's all in the past, I'm now the manager of xxxxxx - that's all I'm prepared to discuss."
Steve Bruce: "Those fucking cockball shitheads lost me my favourite job!"

Sums him up perfectly.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Up there with Allardyce and Kinnear 

I'm afraid I can't include Kinnear in these sort of discussions, my brain just can't compute him in, I've said before, he was basically a practical joke that got out of hand between Llambias and Ashley, iyam. 

• Haha 2

In the grand scheme of things (and I do find I'm questioning myself when typing this) but Allardyce wasn't that horrifically bad in hindsight. Yes the football was turgid but compare him to McLaren & Bruce and he was a master tactician. Kinnear I don't even recognise as a manager. As HMHM points out, I think he was used simply a means to piss us off - yes, I do think Ashley was that petty. 

As far as I'm concerned we had no manager between September 2008 and August 2009. 

BTW talking about Allardyce and McClaren got me thinking. 4 out of the last 11 permanent England managers have managed NUFC at some point - Robson, Keegan, McClaren & Allardyce. KK & SBR aside, I think that says more about how shit the England setup has been rather than anything complimentary about our managers.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Pisses me off thinking that if we had Capello in charge of that 'Golden generation' we might have actually won something, or not bottled it on pens. Stick Capello in that job in 2001, maybe we don't get Munich 5-1, but we don't get shafting FA skirt and shafted on pens.

laughing so hard you cry gifs | WiffleGif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Don't worry, Joe's brain can't compute either.

Just go steady - it's came out that he was diagnosed with dementia just 6 months after he left us. I'm starting to not see the funny side with him getting names wrong etc. 

Pisses me off that no one in the club mentioned it, when pretty much everyone he knew was worried about him.

16 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Pisses me off thinking that if we had Capello in charge of that 'Golden generation' we might have actually won something, or not bottled it on pens. Stick Capello in that job in 2001, maybe we don't get Munich 5-1, but we don't get shafting FA skirt and shafted on pens.

Behave :lol: He still had most of the "golden generation" and his England side was fucking terrible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

In the grand scheme of things (and I do find I'm questioning myself when typing this) but Allardyce wasn't that horrifically bad in hindsight. Yes the football was turgid but compare him to McLaren & Bruce and he was a master tactician.

He was shite, he took a decent midtable side and turned it into relegation survivalists, the same as he's done everywhere he's been post-Bolton. 

Being better than McClaren or Carver isn't good enough to avoid my ire.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah you're fucking right, in the same breath ASM is no Kevin Sheedy. :lol:

Travel Suitcase GIF by Avanti West Coast

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He was shite, he took a decent midtable side and turned it into relegation survivalists, the same as he's done everywhere he's been post-Bolton. 

I was speaking comparatively of course 😉 

Re: Bolton he only looked good there because he had Jay-Jay Okocha IMO.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

In the grand scheme of things (and I do find I'm questioning myself when typing this) but Allardyce wasn't that horrifically bad in hindsight. Yes the football was turgid but compare him to McLaren & Bruce and he was a master tactician. Kinnear I don't even recognise as a manager. As HMHM points out, I think he was used simply a means to piss us off - yes, I do think Ashley was that petty. 

That’s the most funny joke you ever posted tbh.

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Derby away. Case closed. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

That’s the most funny joke you ever posted tbh.

Look, there's shitness and then there's McClaren / Bruce levels of shitness. That's not me saying Fat Sam was any good, he just wasn't quite as :wank: as some of those who followed him.

10 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Didn't even score in 2003/04. One of the biggest myths in 2000's PL football is that Okocha was shit hot. 

:lol: Fuck me dear boy, I never suggested Jay-Jay was about scoring goals. But he did make a Big Sam team appear to play attractive football, and that takes some doing. 

I would argue the football under Allardyce was worse than under Hair island and even Carver (who was always a stop gap). 

Allardyce is the moment in the newcastle

timeline where I can pinpoint my attachment dwindling. He is a fucking dinosaur and his football is eye aids. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, strawb said:

I would argue the football under Allardyce was worse than under Hair island and even Carver (who was always a stop gap). 

I'd respectfully disagree. McClaren's for me was only marginally better than Bruce. 

The greatest coach in football - never a serious consideration for a permanent manager. How he managed to avoid the drop quite frankly is beyond me.

Just now, Craig said:

I'd respectfully disagree. McClaren's for me was only marginally better than Bruce. 

The greatest coach in football - never a serious consideration for a permanent manager. How he managed to avoid the drop quite frankly is beyond me.

Agree to disagree, pint of wine is an absolute disgrace to the game