The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Regardless of the opinions of 4-5 talking heads and brown tongues, upwards of a million people, from Birmingham, through Yorkshire to Newcastle via Mutantville, think he’s a fucking useless pile of lard through having him as their gaffer. 

🎵

From Newcastle to sunlin 

And all the clubs he's managed in 

His heart was pumping for comp,

Pumping for comp 

Cos when I'm thinking of him 

The fucking football was grim 

His heart was pumping for comp 

He had the thinnest of skin 

From Newcastle to sunlin 

Pumping for comp 

He had the thinnest of skin 

Patience is a game

And every night I cursed your name

Hoping that you'll answer

'Cause you're killing the game 

It's quite along time ago

You brought me out of control

Hungry for your sacking 

like I know what that might be 

From Newcastle to sunlin 

Pumping for comp 

He had the thinnest of skin 🎶

6whuoi.jpg

• Haha 2

Thing on the Athletic about him. He didn't know you could make 5 subs in the Championship. And in the part about recruitment being based on who the staff already knew rather than anything data driven, there's a line about Erik Pieters

Pieters, who was released by Burnley in the summer and made his debut in the 0-0 draw at Carrow Road, is Bruce’s neighbour.

He's pulled his recruitment straight from the Tory playbook.

Edited by The Fish
  • Haha 5

On 10/10/2022 at 10:21, Sonatine said:

There'll be a steady stream of leaks from the players now, saying how shit the training was and that the fat cunt did nothing other than stuff bacon into his bloated kite <_<

A player’s representative — who wished to remain anonymous out of respect for his client’s relationship with the club — told The Athletic that his client had expressed on several occasions that he had felt a lack of preparation from the coaching staff.

Under Ismael, players would have regular in-depth group meetings on their opposition, a practice Bruce has continued on the day before matchday, but they would also receive small dossiers on their individual battles. These would highlight a player’s tendencies — including, but not limited to, their stronger foot and positions they like to take up on the field — to best prepare players, particularly inexperienced ones, for their opponents. Alongside a lack of preparation, players have privately noted a lack of an identifiable playing style, with much of the work on the grass led by first-team coaches Steve Agnew, Alex Bruce and Stephen Clemence — who have also departed the club — with the manager taking an overarching senior role.

There was a general concern from insiders throughout his tenure regarding a lack of attention to detail. For example, weeks before the start of the Championship season, he admitted to not knowing EFL clubs were now permitted to use five substitutes. One insider — who wishes to remain anonymous to protect associates in the club — reports that Bruce’s standing with his players as a Premier League winner and heroic Manchester United centre-back has been hurt by his tumultuous time as Newcastle United manager, where he severed ties with executives, players and fans by the time he was sacked in October 2021. While the reputation that once preceded him was big enough to inspire fear and devotion from his players in previous jobs, some players have struggled to pin down his influence on the team outside of adding an air of seniority.

• Like 3

I see West Brom put the normal statement out following a managerial sacking.......Really he only won 8 out of 32

""The club would like to place on record its thanks to Steve Bruce and his coaching staff for their efforts since arriving in February"

What it should say is we've realised we fucked up employing Cabbage head and his entouage and have acted accordingly to rectify things

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 3

That Athletic article is really good and shows how out of touch he (and tbh West Brom) is with modern football.  We first heard with Rafa about the extensive details a manager and his team now go into regarding players (both the ones they have and potential signings) the opposition, training etc etc.  And now Howe is doing exactly the same thing.  It's just common place now for this to be the managers role.  Compare that with Bruce signing his neighbours & employing his family to put out the cones and just hoping that a star player can turn the game for you.  There was a time when how he 'works' could probably suffice as a football manager, but that time is 15 years ago or more.  The top end of the game has evolved so much in the last decade and he just doesn't seem to see it.

The fact that he didn't know how many substitutions he could make though just smacks of laziness.  He can't even be bothered to put in the minimum amount of effort required to know what rules have changed from one season to the next.  If West Brom's board had anything about them, they should have sacked him on the spot for that gross incompetence.

• Like 6

Can just imagine it

Brucey: "Alreet Erik, how fit are you?"

Pieters: "Not at all. Think im going to retire as haven't had any offers."

Brucey: "Don't be silly, ill sort you out with a 12 month contract"

Pieters" "Thanks Steve. We still on for the family dinner on Thursday?"

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, David Kelly said:

The fact that he didn't know how many substitutions he could make though just smacks of laziness.  He can't even be bothered to put in the minimum amount of effort required to know what rules have changed from one season to the next.  If West Brom's board had anything about them, they should have sacked him on the spot for that gross incompetence.

Doesn't reflect well on those who put out the cones, either.  Presumably, given Cabbage wouldn't take responsibility, it was one of their responsibilities (along with cones).

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Doesn't reflect well on those who put out the cones, either.  Presumably, given Cabbage wouldn't take responsibility, it was one of their responsibilities (along with cones).

You mean Steve, Steve, Steve and his son? 

Alex Bruce was fired by Robbie Savage ffs, how across details do you reckon that prick is?

• Like 1

Bruce is proof of the adage that it isn’t what you know, it’s who you know that counts. I don’t know who he knows, but I’m certain he knows fuck all about managing a football club.

• Like 5

Bruce is from the same school of British football management as Hughes, Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Warnock and McLaren.

They don't do tactics, it's all about getting the ball into the "position of maximum opportunity", ie: hoofball. 

"Fucking get into em" is about as technical as it gets. Speaks volumes that 4 of the cunts managed us under Ashley. 5 if you count Kinnear 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Bruce is from the same school of British football management as Hughes, Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Warnock and McLaren.

They don't do tactics, it's all about getting the ball into the "position of maximum opportunity", ie: hoofball. 

"Fucking get into em" is about as technical as it gets. Speaks volumes that 4 of the cunts managed us under Ashley. 5 if you count Kinnear 

I agree on the whole. However, while I’m not remotely a fan of the others you mention, I think they’re all more diligent / professional than Bruce. 

• Like 1