The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

40 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

McClaren seemed very hard working and not completely behind the times, he was just useless and exuded absolutely no authority.

McClaren is a half decent coach. He's NOT a manager. 

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Just listening to the Athletic weekend preview pod and the Villa fan on there has described things under Gerrard as "very similar to Villa under Steve Bruce". :lol:

I'll be honest and say that I thought Gerrard would be a half decent manager. I detested him as a player mostly because of his sanctimonious stance on diving which was wholly contradictory to his on-field behaviour, but I heard from various sources that he trained very well and was very professional about it, demanding the same from his teammates. Therefore I at least expected that as a baseline for him as a manager; expecting high levels of professionalism from the players. This of course is the opposite of Bruce who is a lazy prick full of excuses who lets the players take it easy, or at least teflons off the training aspects to coaches. So if Villa fans are seeing parallels between the teams performances under Bruce and Gerrard then I'd expect that it's not because they're similar managers but that they're both just not very good managers.

Edited by OTF

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Substitute Keane for Gerrard in the above post and you get the exact same result.

That's probably a fair assessment, though I see there being a distinction between the level of self professed hardman based on the height of the waistline.

Surprise Pants GIF by Football Australia

6 hours ago, OTF said:

I'll be honest and say that I thought Gerrard would be a half decent manager. I detested him as a player mostly because of his sanctimonious stance on diving which was wholly contradictory to his on-field behaviour, but I heard from various sources that he trained very well and was very professional about it, demanding the same from his teammates. Therefore I at least expected that as a baseline for him as a manager; expecting high levels of professionalism from the players. This of course is the opposite of Bruce who is a lazy prick full of excuses who lets the players take it easy, or at least teflons off the training aspects to coaches. So if Villa fans are seeing parallels between the teams performances under Bruce and Gerrard then I'd expect that it's not because they're similar managers but that they're both just not very good managers.

Aye the thing the bloke bangs on about more than anything is a lack of identity. He can't see what it is that they're supposed to be trying to be. 

The one thing that gets talked about based on noises coming out of the club is the fact that Gerrard sees himself as a figurehead and puts his assistant manager in charge of training and tactics. He lost his assistant manager at the end of last season when he went to manage QPR, so to all intents and purposes Villa have had a manager change because a brand new person is in charge of training and tactics. 

I can understand taking that approach when you've earned your stripes as a manager and know enough to take a step back and oversee/tinker where things are going wrong. But to start your managerial career with "training and tactics are someone else's job".... Well you don't really want to be a football manager, do you? 

Maybe his experience of managers at Liverpool reflects this approach, but that's because by the time someone is managing Liverpool they've earned the right to take that step back and become an overseer. But they didn't start their managerial careers doing that. 

He's basically got to the same place that Bruce has, where one has done it through laziness and the other through wrong headed thinking about what a manager's job is. 

• Like 8

On 16/10/2022 at 05:59, Gemmill said:

Aye the thing the bloke bangs on about more than anything is a lack of identity. He can't see what it is that they're supposed to be trying to be. 

The one thing that gets talked about based on noises coming out of the club is the fact that Gerrard sees himself as a figurehead and puts his assistant manager in charge of training and tactics. He lost his assistant manager at the end of last season when he went to manage QPR, so to all intents and purposes Villa have had a manager change because a brand new person is in charge of training and tactics. 

I can understand taking that approach when you've earned your stripes as a manager and know enough to take a step back and oversee/tinker where things are going wrong. But to start your managerial career with "training and tactics are someone else's job".... Well you don't really want to be a football manager, do you? 

Maybe his experience of managers at Liverpool reflects this approach, but that's because by the time someone is managing Liverpool they've earned the right to take that step back and become an overseer. But they didn't start their managerial careers doing that. 

He's basically got to the same place that Bruce has, where one has done it through laziness and the other through wrong headed thinking about what a manager's job is. 

Says the coward who does this exact thing on Football Manager games.

The rank hypocrisy is disgusting.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Dougle said:

His squad at Newcastle was anything but “fiercely competitive” I struggle to think of a squad that looked more downtrodden, confused, and lacking in fight than that one. Contrast that with what is largely the same squad under Howe, one that is clearly fiercely competitive but also completely without training ground bust ups. Odd really, it’s almost as if Bruce is a fucking joke of a manager but the media seem to go to extreme lengths to tell his he’s not :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

These stories have got the classic stench of Bruce getting his agent to leak some interest. One more payday, he’ll have the exit plan sorted already. Serves Tory Hayden right as well 

Rough to think his contract runs out 2 years after Trippier's, Burn's, Almiron's, Wilson's etc.

Fanks Mike.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I thought Norwich had an obligation to buy?

Conditional

City will have an obligation to make the deal permanent should certain performance-related criteria be met throughout the course of the 2022/23 season.

• Thanks 1