The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

Chris Wilder:

“I’ve said before, who knows if Sean Dyche can manage a top-six side or not? He’ll never get the opportunity."

“Who knows if Steve Bruce could. He’ll never get an opportunity, but I would think he possibly could because he’s a smart enough guy and he’d be working with world-class players."

“He could have never turned that job [at Newcastle] down. The way that club has changed now…"

“Listen, I’m not going to get into a battle with Newcastle fans. They’re passionate about their football club, as all fans in the North East are, and as all fans where I come from are as well."

“I’m not being controversial here. Eddie Howe has gone in and will do a fantastic job. He’s got them going and got them winning."

“But the supporters are right behind him and they were never behind Steve. He couldn’t ever turn that down, but it was a different time and a different feel to the club."

“You ask any of the players there that played under Steve. Saint-Maximin loved Steve. We all saw the quotes as he left about how he was as a man and a manager."

“You ask any player how easier it is to play at St James’ Park now than it was then?"

“That’s what we’re all trying to create. That environment in a home game that allows the players to express themselves to give themselves the best possible opportunity. When the ball comes to them they’re not being booed or heckled. There’s no criticism."

“A lot’s happened, and I don’t want to get caught up too much in that because Newcastle fans will know their club better than I do, but from a player’s point of view and a manager’s point of view, that can be quite a difficult place to play football."

“It was always going to be difficult for Steve because he was appointed by someone who the supporters just weren’t having."

“Now people look at his West Brom side and reel stats off but what about all the promotions he’s won? Steve is a good manager.”   :lol:

“I keep reminding Steve that he gave me a free transfer! I possibly deserved it at the time…"

“That was Steve’s first job, but I think the fact I still have a really good relationship with Steve now just shows you what he is all about as well."

“His record speaks for itself, especially out of the Championship and the number of good jobs that he’s had."

“He’s just a really good guy and a proper football man."

“Once you get into the spotlight working in the Premier League, there will always be plenty of people who have an opinion on you."

“But he’s had good jobs, he’s been successful and he’s still a good and humble guy.”

“We expect a tough game. Look at the group they’ve got."

“Steve is trying to change the style back to what it was when Slav [Bilic] was manager and then Sam [Allardyce] after him. More playing and more using the talented, technical players they have."

“If you look around their group - they’ve got arguably the best goalkeeper in the division, they’ve got talented players all over the pitch, the majority of whom were playing in the Premier League last season."   :lol:

“So this is still a tough game, regardless of current form."

“I think if you look deeper and in context of the games they’ve played, they’ve had some tough games."

“Steve, being the winner that he is, he’ll want to come back up north and get his stint at West Brom off and running with a first win."   :lol:

“I’m sure neither Steve nor any of his players are looking and thinking their season is over when there is still so many points to play for.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-wilder-steve-bruce-middlesbrough-23174545

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, toonotl said:

Probably some joker wearing a singlet without a care in the world. Brucey must be seething at the simple thought of this jovial pest getting about completely ignorant of the notion of hard work that is learned only by the tactile sensory experience of rolling up one’s sleeves.

It's the Don Johnson school of football management. 

• Haha 3

Chris Wilder summing up all the air cover Bruce gets from his buddies. He’s a completely useless manager but it’s ok because he’s a “proper football man” and a mate of his. I cant be arsed to look at Bruces record but I don’t think he’s done a decent job for years, since Birmingham City or somewhere like that. Presumably the stats being reeled off about WBA under his tenure include “Wins Nil”.  Doesn’t seem like much of a winner to me, more like a big pisshead loser.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There’s trying to be complimentary about someone and then there’s that tbh. It’s just total fucking nonsense. It’s actually staggering that basically every single thing he’s said there is wrong. 

I get they want to defend their mate but they could at least stop spouting that the crowd made it really tough for him, is it too much to ask that they acknowledge the bloke managed in an empty stadium for a large chunk of his time? It’s bad enough saying he has a good record when his record is literally among the worst in PL history, but fucking hell man you’re leathering fans who legitimately couldn’t be at the stadium. Add Wilder to the list the silly cunt. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

Look it wasn't Bruce's faults. It's the fans in the stadium that instantly got on his back, it's impossible for the players in that situation.

Never mind that he only claimed 20 points from a possible 54 last season when playing at home behind closed doors without those pesky fans to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I've just put myself through that Wilder thing again. It's like a fucking avant garde jazz improv solo of pure BULLSHIT. The man is in full command of his instrument. 

It’s impressive tbf. His commitment to being wrong on every single fucking point is admirable. 

Inferring Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce could be top 6 managers? Wrong, there’s a reason they’ve never had that opportunity. 

Supporters on his back? Wrong, he wasn’t met with horrible backlash from the fans, just apathy and resignation that we had to get behind him as it was what it was, he got his chance and he failed miserably then got out of any fan dissent by virtue of playing in an empty stadium. 

The players praising him? Find what Jack Grealish has said about him in the past, or just look at the way our current lot tip toe around the fact Bruce’s “training” was a total fucking joke. 

Another bit of bullshit that the atmosphere was bad, again as ewerk pointed out the bloke was doing a shocking job before the fans were back. To be honest when the fans did get back he actually got backing that he absolutely did not deserve, I remember annoyance from many after hearing “Brucey give us a wave” chants so aye total bullshit. 

I won’t accept “it was going to be difficult because Ashley wasn’t liked” he knew the job he was taking he’s a grown man with 20 years in management you can’t keep throwing that in as an excuse if he chose to take the role, he did it purely for money and another crack at a PL job both of which wholly undeserved. 

How many promotions has he won? 4 or 5 in a 20+ year career? It’s not impressive, especially given basically all of the sides he led to promotion were either big sides with money or had recently dropped out the PL anyway. There’s no Howe type building a club through the leagues story here. One of his promotions with Birmingham he had the largest transfer budget in the division by a long way. He’s not a good manager and never has been. You also can’t just brush off the terrible job he’s doing at West Brom - that’s an absurd thing to do he’s literally come in and destroyed their play off hopes. 

His record speaks for itself? It does aye but it’s not speaking the way you’re framing it, one of the worst managers of all time in the PL. Spent the most in Championship history on a recently relegated side and led them to a mid table finish. Aye good manager, sure. Also the number of good jobs he had isn’t a support of him, the fact he’s had so many shows he’s crap and is inexplicable at the same time I still don’t understand why WBA appointed him. 

There’s some weird bit where it seems like he’s saying Sam Allardyces teams play good football and Bruce is trying to also have the team play good football? That’s insane, absolutely fucking insane. 

The next bit basically implies WBA have one of the best squads in the division, the fact they’re plummeting like a stone with this squad after hiring Bruce is contradicting his points that Bruce is a good manager. 

Bruce is a winner? As a player yes, but as a manager absolutely not, he’s a serial loser, at this point he comes in and makes teams instantly worse and less effective so again it’s nonsense to claim he’s a winner. 

I’m also tired of seeing Bruce’s name put in with Howe and Dyche type managers. The latter two have worked hard to carve out reputations and have done things Bruce has never come close to doing ever in management, it’s disrespectful putting him with managers of that level. He’s basically coasted through a 20+ year management career getting jobs off the back of his playing career or from mates. 

TLDR: suck my plums Wilder you mentalist. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Wilder’s obviously his mate. He’s playing to the Boro crowd too with the sly digs at Newcastle fans. Neither of those factors preclude the possibility of him also being thick as fuck 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just looked on a forum 

We are actually much worse as were conceding more and creating less chances. Any semblance of a team shape, tactical plan or clear instructions from the dug out has gone.

And

What the hell does Bruce see in Grant and Reach can anyone explain? Play bloody wingers so that Carroll who’s the only one making an effort can get some service where it matters. These inside forwards or inverted wingers didn’t work for Ishmael and f ing ain’t going to work for Steve. Already losing patient’s with this man.

:lol:

Bruce looks tactically inept.

Wilder made the subs to get 'Boro back in the game. Bruce basically just stood there and watched.

All similar. 

No doubt we will get blamed though

• Haha 4

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-west-brom-middlesbrough-23166434

“I have only been here two or three weeks. I saw things to be pleased about in the first-half, but the one thing I have learned from the second half is change - change is difficult for them.

“They have played a certain way and to try and implement change is something I will look at too. I probably took them out their comfort zone when we were chasing the game in the second half, but I wanted players on the pitch who could maybe score a goal.”

:lol: Fucking hell man already using the “they can only play the old managers system” card, he’s genuinely just going to cycle through the exact same excuses he used while at us. What an absolute disgrace the bloke is. 

Just saw the below comment. Glad Ross can enjoy him now :lol: what a fucking Brummy whopper. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 5

His Dignifiedness has realised that change is difficult but necessary. Yet he doesn't change at all. It may be of interest to note here that humanity's propensity for self-reflection is what most profoundly separates us from the animal kingdom. Most of us.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Howay said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-west-brom-middlesbrough-23166434

“I have only been here two or three weeks. I saw things to be pleased about in the first-half, but the one thing I have learned from the second half is change - change is difficult for them.

“They have played a certain way and to try and implement change is something I will look at too. I probably took them out their comfort zone when we were chasing the game in the second half, but I wanted players on the pitch who could maybe score a goal.”

1-0 up at half time and in line for your first away victory in six attempts? You know what this game needs? Change. Let's change the system to something the players aren't used to. Tactical genius.

• Haha 2