The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

17 minutes ago, Dougle said:

But was he though?

Or was it just all part of the 'propaganda' to help us along the road to hating the bloke and therefore backing souness?

I'm not saying he wasn’t btw, just asking the question.

Don’t me wrong, Souness was an utter cunt. But those who try to paint Bellamy as a wronged individual need to give their heads a shake. He was stirring up shit before Souness was on the scene.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Don’t me wrong, Souness was an utter cunt. But those who try to paint Bellamy as a wronged individual need to give their heads a shake. He was stirring up shit before Souness was on the scene.

bollocks.

it's you who needs to give their head a fucking shake. robson, despite stating bellamy would start an argument if he was by himself in a room always spoke affectionately of bellamy. 

he was by far and away our best player under souness and a million fucking million away from being the bad apple in the squad.

Utter bollocks, he was absolutely a bad apple and people excuse his atrocious behaviour because he has the propensity to score goals. He wasn’t above the team and alongside getting rid of Souness we were absolutely right to jettison the utter cunt. Dyer and Jenas too. All fucking poisonous.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Utter bollocks, he was absolutely a bad apple and people excuse his atrocious behaviour because he has the propensity to score goals. He wasn’t above the team and alongside getting rid of Souness we were absolutely right to jettison the utter cunt. Dyer and Jenas too. All fucking poisonous.

Hiring Souness to sort out bad apples was the worst that could be done.

Just now, Isegrim said:

Hiring Souness to sort out bad apples was the worst that could be done.

i totally agree with that. But that doesn’t exonerate Bellamy from being the utter poisonous cunt he was.

To be absolutely clear, I don’t agree with Shearer’s defence of Steve Bruce, but I absolutely agreed with his views on Craig Bellamy. The two situations and not in any way mutually linked.

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

you're talking shite man, well, apart from the jenas and dyer bit. 

give me an example of where bellamy regarded himself 'above the team'

I'll give you dyer holding the captains armband like it was a piece of shit covered bog roll at boro,, I'll also give you shearer being afforded ridiculous amounts of power off field by shepherd to atone for him calling mary poppins, it's why robson wasn't allowed to sell him to liverpool.

you're talking utter, utter fucking drivel in regard to bellamy.

The interview after the Norwich game where he went before the cameras outlining what part of the club’s transfer policy was not acceptable to him. 17 years on and still people try to defend Bellamy, it’s absolutely laughable. Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer, Souness - all fucking toxic.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I think point being made about him being punted was that it was to the detriment of the team, and Shearer, not about him being a wronged man though.

Plus I’m sure there were a fair few other scrotes that were in that ‘moronic group’ who took the piss out of SBR and remained at the club.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

The interview after the Norwich game where he went before the cameras outlining what part of the club’s transfer policy was not acceptable to him. 17 years on and still people try to defend Bellamy, it’s absolutely laughable. Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer, Souness - all fucking toxic.

acceptable to him or in general? he was right.

I'd be appalled if me daughter rocked up with bellamy announcing she was gonna marry him, but on the other hand I'm more than able to recognise he was nowhere near the main protagonist behind our demise under souness, him being shipped out was.

he was by far and away our best player, gave 100% every time he played for us and he was bang on the money when he called out shearer's legs having given up. they had.

I don't particularly like the lad, I'm not particularly impressed that he holds a grudge against still to this day, although I can partially understand him being resentful at the way souness had it in for from the start.

but to state he was he was on the same level as the others you've mentioned, while omitting shearer altogether is fucking ludicrous.

Not ludicrous at all. Bellamy, Jenas and Dyer were utterly toxic. And as Isegrim points out, bringing Souness in to manage that situation was an even bigger fuck up. Bellamy was a problem and you won’t ever convince me that getting rid of him wasn’t the right thing to do at the time. LM tried and failed many times to make me see if differently, and the intervening 17 years haven’t made me changed my mind. Too many want to exonerate him because of what he could do for us on his day. Will never wash with me - I’m far more principled than that.

Not ludicrous at all. Bellamy, Jenas and Dyer were utterly toxic. And as Isegrim points out, bringing Souness in to manage that situation was an even bigger fuck up. Bellamy was a problem and you won’t ever convince me that getting rid of him wasn’t the right thing to do at the time. LM tried and failed many times to make me see if differently, and the intervening 17 years haven’t made me changed my mind. Too many want to exonerate him because of what he could do for us on his day. Will never wash with me - I’m far more principled than that.

principled about what?

dunno who the fuck lm is or what your argumentswith him/her were, but I can fully understand their frustration if you were stating getting rid of bellamy was the right thing to do.

why the fuck is getting rid of your best player the right thing to do? you.man manage them man, not grab them by the throat on the trainng ground because he rightfully flicked the wanker sign at him at charlton. he was a million mile our best player too that day when souness bizarrely hauled him off.

you don't like the lad, fair enough, but you're letting that cloud your view of the bigger picture at the time..... a lot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Craig Bellamy made more appearances for us than any other team he played for. It might be nothing but he never stayed anywhere for very long after we punted him. It might be nothing but nowhere else put up with him for long.

used to have a similar type of debate with me brother, who stated at the time he was shipped out celtic that belllamy would never play for a bigger club than newcastle. 

he then played for liverpool and man city.

(

6 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

principled about what?

dunno who the fuck lm is or what your argumentswith him/her were, but I can fully understand their frustration if you were stating getting rid of bellamy was the right thing to do.

why the fuck is getting rid of your best player the right thing to do? you.man manage them man, not grab them by the throat on the trainng ground because he rightfully flicked the wanker sign at him at charlton. he was a million mile our best player too that day when souness bizarrely hauled him off.

you don't like the lad, fair enough, but you're letting that cloud your view of the bigger picture at the time..... a lot.

Whereas you’re allowing your opinion that he was ‘our best player’ to exonerate him from everything else. 🙄 Bellamy could start an argument in an empty room, trying to take on Souness (who I never supported or rated before you go down the route) just shows how utterly thick he was. If he was team first, player second in what right mind did he ever think taking Souness on was going to see him come out of it remaining at the club. I’m still to be convinced he wasn’t engineering his own exit by virtue of his cuntish behaviour.

and yes, he did play for Liverpool … got quite handy with a golf club I seem to recall. I suppose that was the blame

of Souness and Shearer too. 🙄

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Whereas you’re allowing your opinion that he was ‘our best player’ to exonerate him from everything else. 🙄 Bellamy could start an argument in an empty room, trying to take on Souness (who I never supported or rated before you go down the route) just shows how utterly thick he was. If he was team first, player second in what right mind did he ever think taking Souness on was going to see him come out of it remaining at the club. I’m still to be convinced he wasn’t engineering his own exit by virtue of his cuntish behaviour.

and yes, he did play for Liverpool … got quite handy with a golf club I seem to recall. I suppose that was the blame

of Souness and Shearer too. 🙄

your last little paragraph is fucking absurd.

engineered his own exit, how?

I was at charlton when souness hauled him off and bellamy called souness a wanker, which he is. wales had beaten england 2-0 a few days earlier and the home support were giving him shit loads of abuse, he scored and was playing a blinder, it was a fucking ludicrous decision to take him off, we were winning and subsequently drew if bellamy wasn't our 'best player' at the time he was shipped out, who was?

I'm not entirely sure why bellamy recognising souness was an absolute cunt made him thick, I would say it makes him fairly astute.

oh and by the way, I remember us beating man city I think 4-3 at home under souness, it might well be the last time we actually beat the fuckers in the league. souness took him off in the 89th minute, he was unplayable that day and rightfully got a standing ovation from all four sides of the ground. 

may well be that not everybody shares your vitriol?

And likewise, it may not be that everyone shares your glowing praise of the cunt. As for engineering his exit, you’ll note that I said I’m yet to be convinced he didn’t rather than explicitly suggesting he did. So no, not ‘absurd’. You cannot categorically suggest he hadn’t by that point decided he wanted away. He’s never had a good word to say about club or supporters since he moved on either so I struggle to see why the support of him

from some quarters is maintained.

For the good of everyone else, and the context of this thread, given this is supposed to be about Steve Bruce, I suggest we agree to disagree on this subject. Craig Bellamy is a fixture in the past.

• Like 1

And likewise, it may not be that everyone shares your glowing praise of the cunt. As for engineering his exit, you’ll note that I said I’m yet to be convinced he didn’t rather than explicitly suggesting he did. So no, not ‘absurd’. You cannot categorically suggest he hadn’t by that point decided he wanted away. He’s never had a good word to say about club or supporters since he moved on either so I struggle to see why the support of him

from some quarters is maintained.

For the good of everyone else, and the context of this thread, given this is supposed to be about Steve Bruce, I suggest we agree to disagree on this subject. Craig Bellamy is a fixture in the past.

so basically you've been spouting shite for an hour or so?

I accept your wish to bow out gracefully whilst trying to retain some credibility!  ;)

take it easy mate, thoroughly enjoyed our Internet tiff!  :)

I’ve not ‘spouted shite’ at all :lol:

but whereas 15 years ago I’d have kept going, these days I know when I’m part of a debate that is never even going to find some common ground (aside from

Dyer, Jenas & Souness of course :wink:)

Enjoyed it too. It’s good to disagree sometimes. Keeps the world turning.

• Like 1

Let's hear from Craig Bellamy himself.

"If I am being honest, I didn't give him the best of me as a person, I didn't give him the help that I probably should have and I should have been more grown up and respectful to the new manager at the football club.

"I was so in Sir Bobby Robson's camp."

We both lost out. He could have done with me and I definitely could have done with Newcastle and him as well.

10 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

used to have a similar type of debate with me brother, who stated at the time he was shipped out celtic that belllamy would never play for a bigger club than newcastle. 

he then played for liverpool and man city.

(

That’s not a similar debate, in fact that’s a completely different debate. Who he played has no correlation with how long he played for them.

11 hours ago, Craig said:

Dyer, yes, but because of his injury record rather than his attitude. That group of young “smoking guns “ (or whatever their goal celebration was) were mostly arrogant arseholes who weren’t quite as good as they thought they were but we weren’t complaining about them when they be helped to top 4 finishes and that memorable champions league campaign.

Bellamy is clearly an absolute knob of a bloke but so what? He was a brilliant player for us. Souness dismantled a class team that Robson built, whatever you think about the personalities, and turned it to shite. 

• Like 2