Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

For how long now have we been 5 points adrift, and now more recently 6? It's been like that for ages despite the "OMG everyone around us is picking up results" patter. 

Howe wasn't gonna come into the club and flip a switch marked LIFT-OFF, but the fact is that there is still a lot of games left in this season and I'm confident that, given the time, we will see a turnaround in our fortunes. Fortunes which see us ONLY 6 points adrift in November. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

anyone panicking yet? 

1552664299_Screenshot2021-11-29at10_03_37.thumb.png.d3a2484f24091216b3822697b099f0b1.png

Confusing table, the last 5 games reads the wrong way round for me. Next 2 games are must win. Genuinely believe if we get 6 points we will get out of it. Anything less and we won't. 

• Like 1

"must win" 

i wouldn't usually agree, particularly so early in the season, but it's hard to see how we come back if we don't pick up six points from the next two games. it's about the momentum as much as anything going into that horror run of fixtures in december. a couple of wins under our belt and we might scape an unexpected point or two in the following games.  

Not at all, I reckon anything up to 12 points adrift we can buy our way out of it. I know people will say no one has done that before but has another club ever been in our position with the resources we now have. Most clubs bottom are skint and looking to unload player for the drop to the championship. We are looking at spending massive amounts of money and don't care about wages in the championship.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

"must win" 

i wouldn't usually agree, particularly so early in the season, but it's hard to see how we come back if we don't pick up six points from the next two games. it's about the momentum as much as anything going into that horror run of fixtures in december. a couple of wins under our belt and we might scape an unexpected point or two in the following games.  

Yeah and if we are massively adrift when the transfer window opens we swill be able to sign bot all players regardless of the filthy oil money. 

Edit: directly contradicting KCG. I'm hoping we won't be adrift so we'll never know; however no professional worth his salt will touch an already relegated club imo. 

Edited by Renton

I'll be honest I'm not that bothered about relegation. If it happens it happens but at the start of the season if you'd offered me the chance if being the relegated and being shot of Ashley I would have snap accepted even without the added bonus of being the richest club in the world

On reflection I think Eddie Howe was the best choice that was actually available, I couldn't have stomached Slippy G even if he turns out to be decent

With regard to Howe if he works out great, if he doesn't we will be further into the building stage and they can punt him and get somebody else.

The clubs on the rollercoaster now and I'm just going to enjoy the ride

• Like 5

I'm about 50/50. But I'm not particularly worried about relegation. 

I am worried that the new owners seem to be fumbling each appointment. Everything is taking far longer than it should. I hope they're learning quickly and I hope that once the DoF is in place everything else ticks along much more quickly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think once Bamford is back for Leeds with a couple of games under his belt Leeds will be a different team.

I think once Howe gets used to our squad, once we get some January transfers done, we'll also be a different team. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm about 50/50. But I'm not particularly worried about relegation. 

I am worried that the new owners seem to be fumbling each appointment. Everything is taking far longer than it should. I hope they're learning quickly and I hope that once the DoF is in place everything else ticks along much more quickly.

The DoF is massive. I’d be feeling a lot more confident if they announce whoever it is sooner rather than later so they have time to get the transfers lined up in early January. We can’t afford to be leaving it till the end of the window to add reinforcements. There are winnable games in January. 

• Like 3

One thing relegation will hit us with long term is a dent in our FFP capabilities as we'll obviously take a big hit with a year of shit TV revenue. We could really do without it. I had my doubts about Howe and our personnel as can he tailor his football style to the current squad? Don't get me wrong, he's a far, far better prospect than the meat loaf who was previously in the dugout with his Steve meatballs but I can't say it didn't slightly worry me. Again, not the only to say it but we need some fucking bright buttons in charge of recruitment with good contacts and who look at the 'couldn't get it over the line' craic like superman looks at kryptonite. That's how we're staying up alongside competent coaching. Any hold ups are potentially fatal for this season and will put us back at least two years if not more.

• Like 3

If we can't beat Norwich and Burnley at home then you do have to wonder who we will actually be able to beat.  I do think relegation is a very realistic possibility but I'm not concerned about it that much.  If it happens, the owners plans for the club will be delayed but that's all really.  If we'd been relegated with Ashley, Penfold and Bruce still there I don't think we'd have been coming back up for a long time.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think I'm actually more concerned about panic buying a load of shit in January in a bid to stave it off, than I am about relegation. If we get relegated we can continue to develop and build a strong team - I mean it's not like we were going to challenge for Europe next year anyway, we'd be aiming to cement midtable. We go down, flatten the championship but with an eye on the future - go up and the following year aim for top ten with a group of players who are used to winning with each other and as part of a longer running plan.

If we hand out a load of 3 or 4 year contracts in January to the sort of dross we would be able to attract in January, we'll be stuck with them for years - something which will be a hinderance to us anyway.

I think if we're able to see the championship less as a relegation and more as just part of the process, it would be a healthier mindset for us as a club.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Honestly, I think I'm actually more concerned about panic buying a load of shit in January in a bid to stave it off, than I am about relegation. If we get relegated we can continue to develop and build a strong team - I mean it's not like we were going to challenge for Europe next year anyway, we'd be aiming to cement midtable. We go down, flatten the championship but with an eye on the future - go up and the following year aim for top ten with a group of players who are used to winning with each other and as part of a longer running plan.

If we hand out a load of 3 or 4 year contracts in January to the sort of dross we would be able to attract in January, we'll be stuck with them for years - something which will be a hinderance to us anyway.

I think if we're able to see the championship less as a relegation and more as just part of the process, it would be a healthier mindset for us as a club.

That's why a good football dof is vital.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I can see us tapping the loan with option to buy market with that in mind as it would suit both parties 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Nothing so far from the new owners has made me even think we will panic buy.

To be fair, we need some quick-fix mercenaries, but a lot of the longer term plans that would require a DoF won't be thought through/come to pass until the summer, surely?

Edited by The Fish