Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

I mentioned the Europe crack in jest in the match thread but how long do you wait before it’s a genuine prediction? Considering the middle of the Premier League is a place where everyone takes points off each other and we have a pretty big advantage over a lot of those clubs in terms of attracting players and it seems like Eddie Howe is the real deal, it feels like an genuine possibility. Obviously, the results this year will tail off as we get towards May but if the performances and standards remain as high as they are, with some real quality signed and a good start, we’ll be flying next year, I reckon.

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I mentioned the Europe crack in jest in the match thread but how long do you wait before it’s a genuine prediction? Considering the middle of the Premier League is a place where everyone takes points off each other and we have a pretty big advantage over a lot of those clubs in terms of attracting players and it seems like Eddie Howe is the real deal, it feels like an genuine possibility. Obviously, the results this year will tail off as we get towards May but if the performances and standards remain as high as they are, with some real quality signed and a good start, we’ll be flying next year, I reckon.

It’s obviously hard to predict it for next year in the same way that survival was hard to predict in December, but I honestly think there’s a good chance we could qualify for Europe, or at least come close, next season. 

When I look at our current team and see players like Fraser, Krafth, Murphy, Wood, and Longstaff playing good amounts of times (often starting) in this run of games you can see that swapping them out for massively improved players is going to see us really kick on. I don’t rate all those players the same and I’m not being negative about them but at absolute best you’d put most of them in the grafter category. We basically went from Sean Longstaff to Bruno Guimeraes, we will have Trippier playing instead of Krafth, and this is without the summer window. I think what a lot of teams have shown this year is that most of them are massively inconsistent, clearly we won’t just go every game unbeaten like we are now but if Howe takes this same team spirit, hard to beat base which tries to play and layers in a higher quality of player it’s hard to say we won’t be challenging for Europa spot. There’s also the fact Chelsea look fucked which opens up a spot that’s normally locked up for everyone to move up a place. 

The prediction bit is hard since we don’t know the summer we will have, the above is all contingent on that but we’ve went 9 games unbeaten and won 6 out of 7 predominately with a front 3 of Wood, Fraser, and Murphy. It’s past the point this run is flukey or simply down to momentum, we’re just genuinely hard to beat now. 

What a transformation by Howe, honestly hard to overstate the job he’s done in just a few months. Imagine after a 200m summer spend plus a full pre season ffs. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Howay said:

When I look at our current team and see players like Fraser, Krafth, Murphy, Wood, and Longstaff playing good amounts of times (often starting) in this run of games... 

Worth noting here that Fraser looked a very tricky attacking player before he joined us (pre injuries) and since Howe arrived he has been one of our best players. Longstaff looked a real prospect under Rafa, had an injury and was trash under Bruce. Krafth was signed by Bruce. My point is that we shouldn't assume that these players are not good enough based off their previous record, particularly those under Bruce, and I'd not consider them grafters. Of course we want to sign players of the highest pedigree in the same vein as Bruno and Trippier but we should also be looking to reward our own players for their performances. On the surface some may say Wood's scoring record since arriving is poor, but he has fought hard the entire time he's been on the pitch and I only recall two or three clearcut chances that he could have scored in games before tonight. Considering how well he has fit into the team is also a factor - something that all of the new signings have done so well.

But yes, I think we should be aiming to compete for a European spot next season. Achieving it will call for a deeper squad providing opportunity for the best of the incumbents to keep a role in the squad. Exciting times.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, OTF said:

Worth noting here that Fraser looked a very tricky attacking player before he joined us (pre injuries) and since Howe arrived he has been one of our best players. Longstaff looked a real prospect under Rafa, had an injury and was trash under Bruce. Krafth was signed by Bruce. My point is that we shouldn't assume that these players are not good enough based off their previous record, particularly those under Bruce, and I'd not consider them grafters. Of course we want to sign players of the highest pedigree in the same vein as Bruno and Trippier but we should also be looking to reward our own players for their performances. On the surface some may say Wood's scoring record since arriving is poor, but he has fought hard the entire time he's been on the pitch and I only recall two or three clearcut chances that he could have scored in games before tonight. Considering how well he has fit into the team is also a factor - something that all of the new signings have done so well.

But yes, I think we should be aiming to compete for a European spot next season. Achieving it will call for a deeper squad providing opportunity for the best of the incumbents to keep a role in the squad. Exciting times.

Agree with this but will also be very pleased to see all the upgrades in a few months :lol: 

I will remember them fondly though as whilst it’s been a relegation scrap, the way it’s been done almost makes it feel like a promotion.

Pride we’ll and truly restored. Sir Bobby will be smiling down.

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.e169f7ac0ca1de1df531d6ff2f0b49b5.png

I think even 2% is bollocks, but then they give a non-zero percentage to everyone all the way up to and including Arsenal. 

The only reason to still talk about relegation for us is because of the enjoyment to be had from the fact that we've overcome the threat and those below us haven't. We are absolutely not going down though. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

We've been on an amazing run but unfortunately I believe that's all it is, a very good run. We've seen that Eddie Howe can organise a team and more importantly how he can motivate and improve players.

But looking at our last two performances you can see how much it's taken out of the team. They've looked tired and I'm not sure how much further this purple patch will continue, especially given some of the fixtures we have coming up.

There's no way the current squad can keep up the same level over 38 games. If this is how we're going to play (and I certainly hope it is) then there's going to have to be much more squad rotation over the course of a season. Howe has tried to keep playing the same side as much as he possibly could and midfield aside that's because he has had to rather than wanted to. If you look at our bench last night it was pretty shit, made up largely of players we had in the Championship who should be nowhere near the first team. The squad still requires a massive overhaul and there's obviously a risk attached to that. So with a good window I could see us challenging for the Europa League spot but I'd be more than happy with a top half finish next year.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We've been on an amazing run but unfortunately I believe that's all it is, a very good run. We've seen that Eddie Howe can organise a team and more importantly how he can motivate and improve players.

But looking at our last two performances you can see how much it's taken out of the team. They've looked tired and I'm not sure how much further this purple patch will continue, especially given some of the fixtures we have coming up.

There's no way the current squad can keep up the same level over 38 games. If this is how we're going to play (and I certainly hope it is) then there's going to have to be much more squad rotation over the course of a season. Howe has tried to keep playing the same side as much as he possibly could and midfield aside that's because he has had to rather than wanted to. If you look at our bench last night it was pretty shit, made up largely of players we had in the Championship who should be nowhere near the first team. The squad still requires a massive overhaul and there's obviously a risk attached to that. So with a good window I could see us challenging for the Europa League spot but I'd be more than happy with a top half finish next year.

Re the purple patch, I did read we have a break coming up and they might be off for a break in Dubai. Might do the trick for a few more wins.

• Like 1

The only way is up. A top half finish is in reach - why not? What gets Europa league - 7th? That is unrealistic. 9th place is up for grabs, which would be an extraordinary turnaround from where we were. 

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The only way is up. A top half finish is in reach - why not? What gets Europa league - 7th? That is unrealistic. 9th place is up for grabs, which would be an extraordinary turnaround from where we were. 

I’m not sure how it works but I heard someone saying the Europe places might drop further down this year due to who is winning cups??

That said, I think I’d rather not fuck around with a tin pot European trophy and let Eddie concentrate on cementing CL football next year :) 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

image.thumb.png.e169f7ac0ca1de1df531d6ff2f0b49b5.png

I think even 2% is bollocks, but then they give a non-zero percentage to everyone all the way up to and including Arsenal. 

The only reason to still talk about relegation for us is because of the enjoyment to be had from the fact that we've overcome the threat and those below us haven't. We are absolutely not going down though. 

Chelsea likely have a better probability of relegation than what that's displaying 

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

:ohmy:

First CT and now you?! I'm not sure I can take this level of positivity from the perennial 'negative nellies' :icon_lol: 

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I will remember them fondly though as whilst it’s been a relegation scrap, the way it’s been done almost makes it feel like a promotion.

One for you CT

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

You negative bastard. They should be able to maintain the same level of commitment, which is all you can ask, not the same level of results obviously.

I wouldn't say the squad requires a massive overhaul, but in order to compete for the lesser European spots we'll definitely need to bring in some improvements. With Trippier  Targett, Burn and another central defender (Botman) we have a very strong defensive foundation. In the midfield it difficult to say how we best strengthen, whether the focus should be wide or in the middle. Up front we need a pacy finisher who can make the runs for Guimaraes and another option as well. 

So let's say 4 to 5 signings of appropriate quality and we'll have a side strong enough to challenge for those 5-8 spots. Considering the buiness we managed to do in January under the shadow of relegation the sky is the limit over the summer.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m not sure how it works but I heard someone saying the Europe places might drop further down this year due to who is winning cups??

That said, I think I’d rather not fuck around with a tin pot European trophy and let Eddie concentrate on cementing CL football next year :) 

Getting back into any sort of European comp will be good in terms of exposure and recognition. And also good to see Joelinton kicking a bunch of fancy boys.

11 minutes ago, strawb said:

Isn’t Botman left footed? Not saying it’s never worked but you hardly ever see two left footed centre backs in the same team

More because they're rarer than right footers,  because you frequently see two right footers together.

• Like 1