Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

On 19/12/2021 at 16:01, Dr Gloom said:

Burnley have three games in hand on us, Watford two. That’s changed 

Why, do postponed games magically transform into 3-0 wins?

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d rather have the games in hand than the [no] points on the board 

Which teams do they have to face? Spurs, Watford and Villa.  They could easily come out of those 3 with 0pts, especially as they'll be played in a congested run of fixtures.

End of the day, we're 3pts off safety with 1/2 the season to go. We should strengthen significantly in the window. Our performances are improving and but for individual errors we'd have another 2-3 points already. Who knows, had Ederson been sent off we could have clung on for a draw, had we got a penalty against Liverpool we could maybe have got a draw there too. 

We're not going to get 45pts and the comfort of midtable, but I do think that this squad + January additions has enough to survive. 

I totally get where Gloom is coming from.  That having games in hand is some sort of comfort blank mentally.  However there is a chance they will be playing Weekend - Mid-week - Weekend and that takes it's toll not just physically but mentally too.  If I had 6 fingers I would have rather played Spurs the other week than 'forget' to turn the under soil heating on.  When they come to play that game in hand Conte will have had more time with the team and they're slowly starting to get into shape.

This season it's going to be a low number of points for survival at the moment.  We can do it.

44 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Which teams do they have to face? Spurs, Watford and Villa.  They could easily come out of those 3 with 0pts, especially as they'll be played in a congested run of fixtures.

End of the day, we're 3pts off safety with 1/2 the season to go. We should strengthen significantly in the window. Our performances are improving and but for individual errors we'd have another 2-3 points already. Who knows, had Ederson been sent off we could have clung on for a draw, had we got a penalty against Liverpool we could maybe have got a draw there too. 

We're not going to get 45pts and the comfort of midtable, but I do think that this squad + January additions has enough to survive. 

"+ January additions" ...OK.. let's look at how that's shaping up:

1. A manager who when he's spent >20mill hasn't been shown to have the best judgement 

2. Someone appointed temporarily to help with this window, not a bad shout but given the short termism of his hire he could well have a different agenda to "keeping NUFC in the Premier league" 

3. A potential DoF from Brughton.  What input will he have should he be appointed?

4. The board, who have plainly been looking at potential signings too since they bought the club. Reuben junior is a fuckin prick as far as I can make out. 

I'm pessimistic that we'll get 4/5 quality players out of that fuckin dogs dinner who can come in and hit the ground running in early Feb. It's a huge ask from the position we're in. We see signs of improvement, yes. We'll still play as badly as we did v Leicester at least once a month till the end of the season though, we're just not consistent enough.  

Edited by PaddockLad

28 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

1. A manager who when he's spent >20mill hasn't been shown to have the best judgement 

2. Someone appointed temporarily to help with this window, not a bad shout but given the short termism of his hire he could well have a different agenda to "keeping NUFC in the Premier league" 

3. A potential DoF from Brughton.  What input will he have should he be appointed?

4. The board, who have plainly been looking at potential signings too since they bought the club. Reuben junior is a fuckin prick as far as I can make out. 

I'm pessimistic that we'll get 4/5 quality players out of that fuckin dogs dinner who can come in and hit the ground running in early Feb. It's a huge ask from the position we're in. We see signs of improvement, yes. We'll still play as badly as we did v Leicester at least once a month till the end of the season though, we're just not consistent enough.  

Why would you conclude that someone brought in temporarily would not see "keep NUFC in the Premier league" as his number one priority? It's a short term appointment with a short term objective. He doesn't need to give a shit about what happens longer term so I don't know why he would be distracted by it. 

The "Howe doesn't know what he's doing in the transfer market" argument was well debunked by those lads from Bournemouth at the time we appointed him. He's had hits and he's had misses, just like every manager has. But even his misses were moved on for a profit, iirc.

The appointment of the bloke from Brighton makes no sense as a "reason why January might not go to plan". It can only be a good thing if we get a DoF in sooner rather than later. 

And the Board has been trying to identify targets, you're right, but now they've appointed someone else to do it - ie they've realised their shortcomings in this regard and appointed someone to do it for them. 

So aye, I don't really understand what most of your points were here. :razz:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Why would you conclude that someone brought in temporarily would not see "keep NUFC in the Premier league" as his number one priority? It's a short term appointment with a short term objective. He doesn't need to give a shit about what happens longer term so I don't know why he would be distracted by it. 

The "Howe doesn't know what he's doing in the transfer market" argument was well debunked by those lads from Bournemouth at the time we appointed him. He's had hits and he's had misses, just like every manager has. But even his misses were moved on for a profit, iirc.

The appointment of the bloke from Brighton makes no sense as a "reason why January might not go to plan". It can only be a good thing if we get a DoF in sooner rather than later. 

And the Board has been trying to identify targets, you're right, but now they've appointed someone else to do it - ie they've realised their shortcomings in this regard and appointed someone to do it for them. 

And he posted that shit article about referees😜

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It looks like a dogs breakfast to me .  Hardly any of it the new owners fault tbh but am not just going to give the benefit of the doubt to them just because they got rid of Ashley, which is where most of the fanbase seem to be to some extent or another...we'll see....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

And he posted that shit article about referees😜

I nearly mentioned that as well. He's wasting everyone's fucking time this morning, and quite frankly he needs to pull his socks up. A temporary ban might be in order. 

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It looks like a dogs breakfast to me .  Hardly any of it the new owners fault tbh but am not just going to give the benefit of the doubt to them just because they got rid of Ashley, which is where most of the fanbase seem to be to some extent or another...we'll see....

For what it's worth, it looks like one to me as well. Much of the new owners' start has, there's just not enough apparent evidence of strong strategic planning to think otherwise - unless we make the assumption that as very rich people, they absolutely know what they're doing in all matters (which is possible and wouldn't necessarily be visible). They'll get there, but this has been a rough start (thanks largely to Ashley).

I still think we'll stay up though because I do think we'll get an uplift from mid-Jan with new signings and turn our draws with bottom half teams into shithouse wins. None of our relegation rivals will be able to match us on squad revamp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

1. All managers have hit & miss transfer records, overall, I'd say Howe's is decent. Certainly good enough to see the gaps in our squad and plug 'em with sufficient quality to make a difference. Replacing Clark with a garden shed, e.g.

2. Eh? Why would a short term appointment have an agenda that, at all, strays from addressing the short term problem of keeping Newcastle in the Premier League? 

3. I'd assume he'd have the kind of input that he's had at Brighton. Shaping the overarching strategy for recruitment and coaching, then delivering it.

4. I don't follow this point. The board have fumbled a few things, no doubt. They are naive and they've made mistakes, the hope is that they learn from them. In appointing a company to find the right men for the job is a tacit admission that they are happy to rely on people who know more about it than they do. Which is an evolutionary lightyear from Ashley's ignorance and arrogance.

Get players like Clark, Lascelles, Ritchie, Manquillo* away from the first team squad is the first step. Replacing them with, at worst, Premier League standard options in their position is the second. I think you could throw a dart at a board of the linked defenders and you're guaranteed to hit a better CB than Clark; Ake, Botman,  Grillitsch, Tarkowski. 

*might be harsh on Manquillo.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

1. All managers have hit & miss transfer records, overall, I'd say Howe's is decent. Certainly good enough to see the gaps in our squad and plug 'em with sufficient quality to make a difference. Replacing Clark with a garden shed, e.g.

2. Eh? Why would a short term appointment have an agenda that, at all, strays from addressing the short term problem of keeping Newcastle in the Premier League? 

3. I'd assume he'd have the kind of input that he's had at Brighton. Shaping the overarching strategy for recruitment and coaching, then delivering it.

4. I don't follow this point. The board have fumbled a few things, no doubt. They are naive and they've made mistakes, the hope is that they learn from them. In appointing a company to find the right men for the job is a tacit admission that they are happy to rely on people who know more about it than they do. Which is an evolutionary lightyear from Ashley's ignorance and arrogance.

Get players like Clark, Lascelles, Ritchie, Manquillo* away from the first team squad is the first step. Replacing them with, at worst, Premier League standard options in their position is the second. I think you could throw a dart at a board of the linked defenders and you're guaranteed to hit a better CB than Clark; Ake, Botman,  Grillitsch, Tarkowski. 

28 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

For what it's worth, it looks like one to me as well. Much of the new owners' start has, there's just not enough apparent evidence of strong strategic planning to think otherwise - unless we make the assumption that as very rich people, they absolutely know what they're doing in all matters (which is possible and wouldn't necessarily be visible). They'll get there, but this has been a rough start (thanks largely to Ashley).

I still think we'll stay up though because I do think we'll get an uplift from mid-Jan with new signings and turn our draws with bottom half teams into shithouse wins. None of our relegation rivals will be able to match us on squad revamp.

I think there will potentially be too many cooks on the transfer committee, each with their own agenda...

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

One of my best mates that I to games with is like you, this is what I txt him when he starts banging on like this or about this player or that player...

ITS NOT FUCKIN FOOTBALL MANAGER! :lol:

Call me a cynical but thinking that what's in it for individuals at transfer time is at least as important as what will benefit the whole club is showing the naiveté of a teenage Shoot! reader... Iiteral readings of football affairs is pointless, everyone has an agenda. Am happy to be proved wrong but this looks a mess to me... 

• Haha 2

I think Paddocklad deserves a little leeway here- it’s no surprise that any fan has a cynical view, still, given the fact we’ve been force-fed an ever more rancid series of shit sandwiches for the last 14 years. 
We’re not used to positivity. 
In the past, when things were looking bad, we knew they would only get worse. 

Now, not so much- as Fish pointed out, the new owners have made mistakes but seem, so far, to know when they have and do something about it. 

It’s looking increasingly likely we’ll go down, which will be shit, but we’ll be in a much better position to come straight back up than if we’d gone down with Ashley and The Bacon. 

My concern is that, since nuance in arguments has all but become extinct, if/when we do drop, the knackers will be a loud minority shouting about how poor the new owners are, and they have the platforms to make themselves heard. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I think Paddocklad deserves a little leeway here- it’s no surprise that any fan has a cynical view, still, given the fact we’ve been force-fed an ever more rancid series of shit sandwiches for the last 14 years. 
We’re not used to positivity. 
In the past, when things were looking bad, we knew they would only get worse. 

Now, not so much- as Fish pointed out, the new owners have made mistakes but seem, so far, to know when they have and do something about it. 

It’s looking increasingly likely we’ll go down, which will be shit, but we’ll be in a much better position to come straight back up than if we’d gone down with Ashley and The Bacon. 

My concern is that, since nuance in arguments has all but become extinct, if/when we do drop, the knackers will be a loud minority shouting about how poor the new owners are, and they have the platforms to make themselves heard. 

Is there really any significant amount of opposition to the new owners for that to happen with? I think they've got a free relegation tbh, we all knew we were down this year with the Bruce and Ashley combo. If they make good, long term decisions - then for my part at least I'll be completely happy. Whether we go down or not.

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Is there really any significant amount of opposition to the new owners for that to happen with?

Sweet summer child :lol:

There’s always some gobshite, not least in the sporting media. 

• Haha 1