Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

I'd love to see some of the games in training once we have our full assortment of players. Can imagine Guimaraes and Joe wanting to play together.

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Willock being further forward and making runs into the box behind Wood seems like the best use of him. At least, that seemed to be the idea last year in the brief moments where you could discern what Bruce’s plan actually was

The addition of Guimaraes may make Willock's involvement in the side more likely in that attacking midfielder role behind Wood. Willock hasn't looked fully fit all season. There was that fairly persistent toe injury, so perhaps that somewhat explains why he's been off the pace.

• Like 1

On the plus side at least it's looking like Dan Ashworth is close to becoming our new DOF. His resignation as Brighton's DOF has been announced. The article did mention that Everton were interested as well, so hopefully a blank chequebook will be more attractive to Ashworth than the financial shitshow at Everton. Of course now that Overmars has resigned in disgrace from Ajax for sending sext messages trying to chat up club staff, he could be our backup 😂 First order of business for him, chuck in a cheeky bid for Greenwood. Probably too soon to make that joke, I'll let myself out.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Don't see how he can't be not ready - not heard he's carrying any injuries, played for Brazil last week, and played every game for Lyon this season barring two (not in squad, bench)...

On the face of it he seems the fittest in the squad already. He'll have been involved in the team meetings and specific tactical sessions for Everton. 

Howe's just bottling it if he isn't starting. 

It's not just about fitness. The premier league is a different ball game to the Ligue 1. The pace of the PL can take players from other leagues off guard when they first come in. Starting a player from the off who then subsequently has a stinker, and perhaps loses a bit of confidence, would be monumentally stupid. As Fish was saying it's something like Pardew would do, or Bruce, Carver, Kinnear, and every other shit manager we had under Ashley would do. You only have to look at a player like Saul at Chelsea, who was a very decent player at Athletico, to see how poorly some make the transition. Hopefully Bruno won't be as off the pace as Saul of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

It's not just about fitness. The premier league is a different ball game to the Ligue 1. The pace of the PL can take players from other leagues off guard when they first come in. Starting a player from the off who then subsequently has a stinker, and perhaps loses a bit of confidence, would be monumentally stupid. As Fish was saying it's something like Pardew would do, or Bruce, Carver, Kinnear, and every other shit manager we had under Ashley would do. You only have to look at a player like Saul at Chelsea, who was a very decent player at Athletico, to see how poorly some make the transition. Hopefully Bruno won't be as off the pace as Saul of course.

Surely the only way they get up to the pace of the league is on the pitch, not in training.

A packed home game against a poor team on bad form seems ideal to me.

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Surely the only way they get up to the pace of the league is on the pitch, not in training.

How many times do we hear managers and pundits stating you can only get match fit by playing matches, he needs to be starting!

Never understand 'breaking a player in gently' into a losing a side. That approach may have some credence when you're regularly winning, but we aren't. Something needs to change and it won't be doing much impact sitting on the bench.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

A packed home game against a poor team on bad form seems ideal to me.

Which is why you can give him half an hour for perhaps the first one or two matches. And while training is no substitute for minutes on the pitch, they do train in five a sides etc at the pace that they will have to on the pitch. It's not like I'm saying we should take the rest of the season to integrate him, but there's no need to throw him in and hope for the best if he's still settling having just flown into the country on Friday. 

20 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Aye, sub him on at 65mins for Willock when we are 2-0 down at home to Everton. To be fair, that's probably the best way to get him up speed playing for this side - being out of the game and pissing away a must win game. 

Well that's a very bleak strawman you've created for yourself. Why not add in that a storm will blow a piece of debris down on top of the bench where he's sitting, and kill him dead while you're at it 😂 As for Saul it wasn't being in and out of the team that's fucked him, it was being so atrocious in the first game he started for Chelsea that he was subbed at half time, which has led to him being in and out. Fernandes did come in straight away and play literally three days after he signed, but there is no definite rule on players coming in. Some players settle straight away, some take longer. The best example of someone not settling straight away was Henry in his first season at Arsenal. The point I'm making is that it's the managers job to decide if a player is ready to be thrown in, and whether starting straight away will ultimately speed up or hinder their integration into premier league football.  

Edited by Polarboy

53 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he better start him. i've just put the cunt in my fantasy football team

Why? He doesn't have a history of scoring or providing assists.