Director of Football

Christmas Tree

I'm not trying to say I don't think getting someone in is a priority, just wondering if it's really a huge priority for January. 

If we're all agreed that Howe is likely a short term appointment to dig you out the trenches I'm not sure I'm not sure how much sense it makes to appoint someone above him to oversee transfers until that job has been done. If it's not one of his own men, surely rushing to appoint someone in advance of the January windows leaves him a bit gimped if it's expected they'll outlast him at the club.

Edited by Blastronaut

If Howe knows what need to be done in the short term, I really don't get the panic to get a DoF in before January. Two or three decent signings in the right positions should see you through.

Granted you don't want Charnley or anyone else from the old regime overseeing contract negotiations, but for January you surely just get Howe to name his shortlist on what areas need to be strengthened and then just go fucking buy them. 

3 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

If Howe knows what need to be done in the short term, I really don't get the panic to get a DoF in before January. Two or three decent signings in the right positions should see you through.

Granted you don't want Charnley or anyone else from the old regime overseeing contract negotiations, but for January you surely just get Howe to name his shortlist on what areas need to be strengthened and then just go fucking buy them. 

A top tier DOF would also have connections to help in identifying and making those January signings.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Totally disagree, even if you leave everything to Howe to pick who he wants you could do with an experienced hand actually getting the deal done, they should be jumping through hoops now to get that person as it's not inconceivable we'll be relegated with the current team as there's no saying Howe will have the impact we hope, we desperately need at least two in and they have to be better than what we have with a good attitude, Steve Nixon?, Charnley need to have a fucking restraining order on getting involved in this and I'd leave it to someone experienced rather than Staveley or Jamie Rueben to get it done and in as good a time as possible.

• Like 5

Howe’s recruiting at Bournemouth was iffy to say the least. He needs guidance. Ally his energy and enthusiasm on the training pitch with an astute experienced figure to overhaul all aspects of the club including youth policy, scouting  at all levels and first team recruitment. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Howe’s recruiting at Bournemouth was iffy to say the least. He needs guidance. Ally his energy and enthusiasm on the training pitch with an astute experienced figure to overhaul all aspects of the club including youth policy, scouting  at all levels and first team recruitment. 

It wasn't that bad. He signed the likes of Ake, Callum Wilson, Mings, Lerma. He gets hammered for Solanke but he's still only 24 and he's currently got Bournemouth top of the league with 14goals in 18games. 

Looking on transfermarkt, most of Howe's big money buys in the premier league either got moved on for a marginal loss or at a profit. He's had a couple of poor signings like Jordan Ibe etc. but then we've spent well over £100mil on shite like Cabella, Thauvin, Riviere, Joselu, Joelinton, Muto, Murphy, Lewis etc. 

• Like 1

The other reason it should be done quickly is so that, if at all possible, we have deals in place and players arriving at the start of January. The extra few matches could make all the difference come the end of the season. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Worrying me slightly that we still haven't filled this post. 6 weeks until the transfer window opens and every agent in the world is linking their players to us. We could do with someone in place to coordinate our transfer strategy in January so we don't end up with cats offs from the big teams on huge 6 year contracts that we can't get rid of 

The appointee is going to be in charge of a transfer budget on hundreds of millions of pounds. I'd rather they found the best person to do that rather than make a quick appointment for the sake of it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The appointee is going to be in charge of a transfer budget on hundreds of millions of pounds. I'd rather they found the best person to do that rather than make a quick appointment for the sake of it.

There's no danger of them making a quick appointment for the sake of it :lol: We are a month and a half in now 

• Haha 1