Newcastle v Brentford

Christmas Tree

Well just got home and it was one of those games that that was great to watch if we were not so desperate for the 3 points.

Joe was magnificent first half and delighted he got a goal. Couldn’t tell from the leases what happened when ASM put him through but I was sure it was going to be a goal.

Darlow was horrific.

Overall it was just fantastic to see us on the front foot again. 

It’s looking grim for relegation but who knows. A bit of tinkering with that line up and I fancy our chances against Norwich and Burnley.

• Like 3

Darlow's howler was the turning point for me.....yes I know it was only 11 minutes in but we were on top and may have gone on to score again but for his incompetence

34 minutes ago, safcforever said:

On a positive for you. You took the game to them and really attacked. I think that’s the first time this season you’ve been the team on top most of the match. 

on a negative. If you aren’t hearing Norwich and Brentford, then where do you get your wins? 

This is probably the biggest transfer window for Newcastle in 25 years. 

You been watching our game on dodgy?

• Haha 1

Of all the weeks to drop points. Every fucker above us won or drew. Leeds win tomorrow and we are 7 points adrift. 

Priortity in January needs to be a keeper and a commanding centre half. 2 full backs that aren't wingers would be good too. 

Shelvey, Joelinton and ASM were the best players by a mile today. Joelinton did everything today, except being able to make a decision in the final 3rd 

5 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Dubravka has to replace Darlow for the Arsenal game with Fraser in for BUJ7 and anyone on the books to replace TOT.Did anyone notice any organisational or motivational skills from our skipper today?

You what 😂 Why would we replace Joelinton after his best game for us?

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Well just got home and it was one of those games that that was great to watch if we were not so desperate for the 3 points.

Joe was magnificent first half and delighted he got a goal. Couldn’t tell from the leases what happened when ASM put him through but I was sure it was going to be a goal.

Darlow was horrific.

It’s looking grim for relegation but who knows. A bit of tinkering with that line up and I fancy our chances against Norwich and Burnley.

aye, particularly the highlighted bit.

a fucking world of difference to the utter shite I watched a few weeks ago against tottenham and you've got to doff your hat to the transformation from what bruce was serving up.

inspired me enough to buy a ticket for the norwich game anyway.

:) 

• Like 2

Not winning that game is the first moment that's really made me think we might go down here. That was a cast iron must win game given what we've got ahead of us, and failing to do so is worrying. Scoring 3 is great and encouraging but where are we going to get this defensive robustness from. Dubravka is going to have to come in hitting the ground running IMO.

No reflection on Howe though - in fact it seems like he's had a positive impact in several areas which is great news really. Will he get on top of this quick enough though.

• Like 2

Aye, the worry is Brentford at home is probably the 37th or 38th easiest tie we will have this season. And we still didn't manage a win.

The January transfer window will make or break us IMO. We may have to chuck some silly contracts about to convince good players to join a club in dire straits

• Like 1

Well at least we showed some attacking intent. Joelinton had a really good first half. Did canny after the break although it’s a shame he couldn’t finish what should’ve been the winner. Shelvey’s a conundrum because no one else has his range of passing and I thought he had a canny game but it exposes what is arguably a championship defence with him in the middle of the park. Willock doesn’t look match fit. Darlow had a mare. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

Just finished watching the replay. Quite unlucky really, I thought. We deserved 3 points.

Firstly, Darlow is a flapper. Their first goal. Fuck me. Just terrible stuff. Looked like he tried to pick up the shot instead of getting rid with a solid foot. And in the lead up to their third, what the fuck was he doing not getting out to that through-ball quickly and then the joker stood there facing the stand after he’d managed to arrive on the scene at the absolute latest opportunity to stop the shot. He’s a complete liability.

Otherwise we were pretty clearly unlucky not to get the win. Dominated them and if we could defend with some composure it would’ve been a comfortable win. The attack was brilliant. Shelvey’s passing was amazing. Ritchie was everywhere. ASM was up for it. And BUJ fuckin scored (then reverted to type like bambi on ice) but, BUT for more than a few moments there he looked a player! Promising.

We looked a completely unrecognisable side in attack. Really really positive stuff. And most importantly we didn’t crumble when we went behind. Our teams have had the constitution of an Adam Pearson Live fan in recent times. Now they’re giving it everything on the pitch and then off it they’re ripping in telling APL fans to fuckoff out the way before I run you over! It’s all upwards from here for the haters.

A win would’ve been nice. But if we can play with that sense of purpose and belief each week (and switch out Darlow for Dubravka), we’ll get enough points to stay up. That was a performance from a completely different side from the one we’ve seen so far this season. We’re easily mid-table quality if that’s the sign of things to come. AND there’ll be January reinforcements. AND Howe couldn’t even be there today.

It’s still a real possibility we go down but you feel it’s in our side’s hands to decide that because they definitely have the ability to get the points that we need. And, fuckin hell, if we play like that the whole way at least it’ll be entertaining regardless of the ultimate outcome. That was a brilliant watch. Definitely brought some pride back to watching us play. At least in the front two thirds of the pitch. 

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 6

Whilst the other results didn't go our way today, I am still optimistic.  We got a point and didn't lose.  If we had lost, then I would be seriously nipping.  As has been said, the defence is shocking and surly Dubravka has to be in goal for Arsenal. 

As a team, we looked sharper, fitter and like we had a game plan.  BUJ7 if he gets that winner it would have capped off a superb performance.  First half, like I said, him and Shelvey looked great.  Second half less effective, but still decent.  I think a couple more games and Willock will hopefully be match sharper.  He was getting in the right area's just didn't look on it.  We were closing down and looked better as a unit.  That's only after 10 days with Howe and his team and not with everyone as we had some away on international duty.

I don't expect anything against Arsenal, but Norwich and Burnely are winnable games if we play like we did today attack wise and if we tighten up at the back.  I am more optimistic than I was two weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Well at least we showed some attacking intent. Joelinton had a really good first half. Did canny after the break although it’s a shame he couldn’t finish what should’ve been the winner. Shelvey’s a conundrum because no one else has his range of passing and I thought he had a canny game but it exposes what is arguably a championship defence with him in the middle of the park. Willock doesn’t look match fit. Darlow had a mare. 

Joelinton's a funny one, I used to find myself defending him a lot precisely because he did a lot of good work outside the penalty area IMO, but he showed very little killer instinct in front of goal. But there's part of me that thinks Howe is the type of manager who will work on that and get him making more aggressive runs into the box. 

He's never going to be a natural striker, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays quite a lot for the remainder of the season just because of what he brings in link up play. You have to re-evaluate basically everyone based upon the change in style and tempo of our game now. Matt Ritchie and Fraser for example, are going to be a lot more effective in the final third than they would ever be playing in their own half. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

Apply themselves like that til May we'll be fine. If Dubravka is in goal we win today; first mistake and I knew it before kick off.

Might be a player in Joelinton after all.

I agree with all of this, however I feel Dubravka is equally capable of having a howler too, but he's definitely the better keeper of the two, I think we'll be fine, but it'll be close !

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Darlow was horrific.

I’m going to take Arsenal game next week. Don’t fancy our chances 😬