Newcastle v Brentford

Christmas Tree

I was hugely impressed with Joelinton today, he was like a different player. I couldnt believe he missed when through on goal, and even when he fluffed it to start, I thought he might have jumped up to get the 2nd ball but instead he just collapsed in a heap! 

Willock still playing with an injured foot? I didn't think Wilson was as sharp as he could be. 

I'm more worried about whether we stay up or not now as I think today was a must-win, just to get that monkey off our back and get 3 points. We've played a third of the season already, and we only have 6 points! We are going to need some run to get us out of it. If we can snatch a point at Arsenal next week then it'll make up for this draw. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I agree with all of this, however I feel Dubravka is equally capable of having a howler too, but he's definitely the better keeper of the two, I think we'll be fine, but it'll be close !

I’m not confident. The feel good factor is back - and that’s great, half the battle tbh - but it needs a massive turnaround from here. If I was a betting man I’d be putting money on us going down but even if it happens it’s not necessarily the worst thing in the long run. There might be some bumps in the road but the club is pointing in the right direction.

A season of rebuilding in the championship winning games every week might not be the worst outcome. The year we came up under Keegan was one of the best ever and such a springboard for what followed  

Just finished watching as I was camping in Sydney Harbour over the weekend, exciting match to watch but we have to shore up our defense post haste if we're going to accrue the required points to stay up. Working hard for goals only to concede through errors or poor reading of the play is criminal at this level. For that reason Dubravka has to come into the side next start. Our back line is still a worry particularly with Ritchie and Murphy playing the wing back roles, they're not defensivley minded and putting in an honest shift just is not enough if you're on the wrong side of your mqn or not communicating with your central defense. I feel like we'll need consistency in our defense but our middling rabble of players don't lend themselves to automatic selection as they all have their weak points.

Overall though it was a very positive step toward a future of actually playing football instead of passively watching it, our players should improve their vision, passing and forst touch with this style of play and it's clearly more entertaining. Spare the defensive frailties scoring three goals at home should have been enough to win. As others have said credit to Joelinton a wondeful first half, ran out of legs at the end but kept battling. That goal from ASM was special, wonderful technique and confidence to cleanly hit that cross with his right foot, and good involvement in the lead up.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Shelvey’s a conundrum because no one else has his range of passing and I thought he had a canny game but it exposes what is arguably a championship defence with him in the middle of the park.

At his core he's still a prick, but you could tell in those 20/80 potential challenges that would have seen him pickup fouls/cards previously he made the decision to stay out and positionally mark instead. He'll never be good at breaking up play but if he can at least show restraint and discipline then his other attributes should keep him in the team.

• Like 1

Over two thirds of the season to go and we're only 5 points from safety. If there were 5 games left and you were 5 points away, it would be looking very bleak (but you'd still have a shot), but there is LOADS of time and LOADS of games to sort this out. Not to mention a transfer window. 

We're definitely not sunk cos we didn't beat Brentford in November. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Over two thirds of the season to go and we're only 5 points from safety. If there were 5 games left and you were 5 points away, it would be looking very bleak (but you'd still have a shot), but there is LOADS of time and LOADS of games to sort this out. Not to mention a transfer window. 

We're definitely not sunk cos we didn't beat Brentford in November. 

Agreed, but at the same time enough was done in this game to win and we didn't, the damage Bruce and Ashley have done runs deep and January is close enough to be on everyone's mind but far enough that we can't wait until then to start returning points.

We know the reality that we were a relegation standard team last season that got incredibly lucky with some bullshit results that put us into a comfortable enough position that the pressure was off. It could just be me being hyper critical of us, but many of the other teams in the lower half of the table seem to individually and collectively have the tactical nous on the pitch that we lack.

Maybe it's just that our defense is so fragile that I feel that way. It's going to be an interesting run into January.

5 hours ago, OTF said:

Just finished watching as I was camping in Sydney Harbour over the weekend, exciting match to watch but we have to shore up our defense post haste if we're going to accrue the required points to stay up. Working hard for goals only to concede through errors or poor reading of the play is criminal at this level. For that reason Dubravka has to come into the side next start. Our back line is still a worry particularly with Ritchie and Murphy playing the wing back roles, they're not defensivley minded and putting in an honest shift just is not enough if you're on the wrong side of your mqn or not communicating with your central defense. I feel like we'll need consistency in our defense but our middling rabble of players don't lend themselves to automatic selection as they all have their weak points.

Overall though it was a very positive step toward a future of actually playing football instead of passively watching it, our players should improve their vision, passing and forst touch with this style of play and it's clearly more entertaining. Spare the defensive frailties scoring three goals at home should have been enough to win. As others have said credit to Joelinton a wondeful first half, ran out of legs at the end but kept battling. That goal from ASM was special, wonderful technique and confidence to cleanly hit that cross with his right foot, and good involvement in the lead up.

Is your tent that waterproof 

• Haha 6

We had everything going for us today (bar some Covid nonsense) and we still didn’t win.

Howe has given us a certain amount of optimism and maybe more than your average manager but that can wear off super quickly.

I don’t see us getting anything against Arsenal and if we then don’t beat Norwich then the doubts can quickly start contaminating any good vibes.

We’ll be lucky to get 3 points in the whole of December…

Today was a disaster imo.

Looked a different team, took a point, came back from behind twice and nearly won it, Joelinton and Shelvey looked like players, we had options in the box like we haven't seen in ages, but for goalkeeping errors we would definitely have won the game. 

It was anything but a disaster. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Took a point at home against the mighty Brentford….

There were loads of positives to take though. It was objectively not a disaster. If we'd been pumped 5 nowt, and still looked like Bruce's team, I'd accept the "disaster" assessment. 

7 hours ago, OTF said:

At his core he's still a prick, but you could tell in those 20/80 potential challenges that would have seen him pickup fouls/cards previously he made the decision to stay out and positionally mark instead. He'll never be good at breaking up play but if he can at least show restraint and discipline then his other attributes should keep him in the team.

I've never seen Shelvey run as much as he did today. Chasing back at full speed on 85mins 

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There were loads of positives to take though. It was objectively not a disaster. If we'd been pumped 5 nowt, and still looked like Bruce's team, I'd accept the "disaster" assessment. 

We could be fine obviously and I hope so, I just don’t agree that today was cause for optimism, especially as Norwich and Villa both got their wins.

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

We could be fine obviously and I hope so, I just don’t agree that today was cause for optimism, especially as Norwich and Villa both got their wins.

Whereabouts are you these days? It was yesterday for me! 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I've never seen Shelvey run as much as he did today. Chasing back at full speed on 85mins 

Agreed, granted that full speed was pretty slow, but he showed commitment and discipline unlike anything seen from him under Bruce.