Newcastle v Brentford

Christmas Tree

Just now, Asprilla said:

I don’t understand the second sentence… 🤨

I’m still in France 🇫🇷 

You keep talking about "today" in reference to the match, so I assumed you were on the other side of the planet!

It's not just about today's result mind. We have a string of what look to be unwinnable games in December against the strongest teams in the league. So by January we could be a way more than 5 points adrift and over halfway into the season. If we can't hold it together versus Brentford then we'll be punished by better teams too.

If we can get a result against Arsenal somehow then we go back to being ok IMO but we have to start picking up wins from somewhere pretty damn urgently.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

You keep talking about "today" in reference to the match, so I assumed you were on the other side of the planet!

Ahh got you… not sure why I managed to get confused over simple dates but there it is… 😎

17 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

certainly entertaining. would imagine @Kevin Carr's Gloves lad loved his first game.

gutted BUJ fluffed the opportunity after a superb run by asm, thought we deserved the win. got to happen next game.

The boy loved it, L7 was rocking with pissed teenagers and he sat with his cousin in amongst them all. Apparently it’s so much better than watching Motherwell.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

The early draws is what is going is going to keep us up. It is a minor miracle those points already was achieved twelve matches in.

Trying to put a positive slant on things, we've lost to:

Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, Wolves, West Ham and Villa...

Given West Ham and Wolves are flying in the top 6, there's only really the Villa match that stands out as a bad loss.

The other 6 games we've played teams in and around us and not been beaten off any of them. And if we had attacked in those games like we did yesterday we probably would have won 3 or 4 of them. You can thank the fucking awful, 30% possession Bruceball tactics for where we are currently.

The Norwich and Burnley games are big and we need to hope another week or two of training (and Dubravka coming in) will stand us in good stead 

• Like 8

I must admit I’m pretty Zen with relegation. 100% don’t want it to happen but don’t have the “fear” of it that I’ve had before. Virtually guaranteed to bounce back.

Sure it might knock the 5-10 year plan back a year but it won’t be the end of the world.

That game yesterday was such a change to what’s gone before and the way we should play every week. I think we will only get better and better as the players acclimatise to being so high up the pitch.

Sprinkle a bit of January transfer magic on top and the results will sort themselves out as other teams go on shit runs.

Welcome back football. We missed you.

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I agree with all of this, however I feel Dubravka is equally capable of having a howler too, but he's definitely the better keeper of the two, I think we'll be fine, but it'll be close !

Dubravka is the better keeper.  We need a better keeper than both. It would be my first £££ spent in January. 

28 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's not just about today's result mind. We have a string of what look to be unwinnable games in December against the strongest teams in the league. So by January we could be a way more than 5 points adrift and over halfway into the season. If we can't hold it together versus Brentford then we'll be punished by better teams too.

If we can get a result against Arsenal somehow then we go back to being ok IMO but we have to start picking up wins from somewhere pretty damn urgently.

We’re odds on to go down. Got to be beating Brentford at home given what’s to come. We may still get out of it but it’s a huge job given the state of our December fixture list. Who knows how many points adrift we’ll be in Christmas if we don’t beat Norwich and Burnley? And if we’re rooted to the bottom, 10+ points from safety, it impacts the type of player we might attract during the transfer window. 

Having said that I also agree with CT and feel agnostic about the prospect of relegation itself. Might not be the worst thing in the long run if we forge a winning mentality in the championship then bounce back up first time of asking to attack the premier league. 

• Like 1

With regards to relegation it's much worse in my eyes than a jolly in the championship for a year. You have to cut your cloth accordingly in the C, and that means buying players who want to play at that level. It would put back our squad build by quite a lot. Suddenly we'd be very happy to hold onto players like Clark, Lascelles, and the rest of our Championship level defence.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OTF said:

the damage Bruce and Ashley have done runs deep

100% agree, and before the game I was pretty much in the moist bed camp. 

But let’s be honest here, the turnaround Howe and Tindall made to that team was remarkable. 

Most of us agreed that we had some decent players that were being stifled under Bruce, but I don’t think anyone expected such a difference in such a short time. 

Clearly our defensive frailties were there for everyone to see, but there’s time, and a transfer window, to patch it up sufficiently to avoid the drop. 

If that level of energy and commitment can be maintained, with the addition of some new players, I think we might just stay up. 

(I think though, that if we don’t, it’ll only be a disaster in terms of the hit bin Salman’s pride will take -under Howe and with strong funding we’ll probably break our own points/wins/goals record in the Championship). 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

With regards to relegation it's much worse in my eyes than a jolly in the championship for a year. You have to cut your cloth accordingly in the C, and that means buying players who want to play at that level. It would put back our squad build by quite a lot. Suddenly we'd be very happy to hold onto players like Clark, Lascelles, and the rest of our Championship level defence.

But likewise, if we can convince ASM, Wilson, Willock, Almiron etc. to spend a season in the championship then we should walk it. And Howe has experience down there 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

100% agree, and before the game I was pretty much in the moist bed camp. 

But let’s be honest here, the turnaround Howe and Tindall made to that team was remarkable. 

Most of us agreed that we had some decent players that were being stifled under Bruce, but I don’t think anyone expected such a difference in such a short time. 

Clearly our defensive frailties were there for everyone to see, but there’s time, and a transfer window, to patch it up sufficiently to avoid the drop. 

If that level of energy and commitment can be maintained, with the addition of some new players, I think we might just stay up. 

(I think though, that if we don’t, it’ll only be a disaster in terms of the hit bin Salman’s pride will take -under Howe and with strong funding we’ll probably break our own points/wins/goals record in the Championship). 

I do believe we can still avoid the drop, but it's a massive job with our remaining fixture list. Bruce and Ashley more or less guaranteed our relegation before the takeover, this is going to need a bigger turnaround than when Keegan took over from Fat Sam back in 2008. 

• Haha 1

What's all this nonsense about relegation not being the end of the world.....it would be a disaster, going down under Fat Mike fair enough we'd bounce back up possibly. The worlds richest club being relegated would be a severe kick in the bollocks plus the entire country taking the piss at our demise, and you can guarantee the EFL would be watching like a hawk for any financial shenanigans. Unlike previous seasons when clubs have had points docked which have taken effect the following year you can be sure any punishments will be swift and severe. Forget all this nonsense about coming back up in Keegan style scoring goals for fun apart from being watched very closely by the EFL it would put back new owners plans back a few years at least.

Edited by Rosco

20 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I do believe we can still avoid the drop, but it's a massive job with our remaining fixture list. Bruce and Ashley more or less guaranteed our relegation before the takeover, this is going to need a bigger turnaround than when Keegan took over from Fat Sam back in 2008. 

Well we've got just the man for the job. This was the league table when Howe took control of Bournemouth in 2009. In January. 

Screenshot_20211121-134052_Twitter.thumb.jpg.bd716af7afa49e9c532f7dadc5346df1.jpg

• Like 4

And I think everyone else in the league knows it, hence the panicked sackings of Smith and Farke. Normally they'd feel reassured seeing an Ashley-owned, Bruce-coached team sinking without trace, only this time they're banking on our new owners to bail us out of it. 

• Like 2