Shelvey's unrivalled stats and his peers in central midfield vs Arsenal (aka match thread drivel)

Dr Gloom

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

6 points off Leeds. At least their December run is as bad as ours. 

If we can get 3 points in our next match it will be a psychological boost, keeping in touching distance of safety. But we need to play a lot more like we did vs. Brentford than we did vs Chelsea and Arsenal 

Once we get that monkey off our back I would like to think it would be a huge boost

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I thought it was time to move on?

But we knew they were shite. To shites don't make it right.  Putting a shite player in a team with no tactics and out of position, is that the shite player at fault? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

But we knew they were shite. To shites don't make it right.  Putting a shite player in a team with no tactics and out of position, is that the shite player at fault? 

Does he mean "some who were solid under Rafa are not up to it anymore" ? Because surely that's a poor reflection on Bruce 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Surely the great magnificent Bielaa can't go down

I think this is going to be one of the toughest relegation battles that the EPL has seen.  Some very experienced, quality managers will be involved including Bielsa !

Time to drop 532 and scrap the wing backs. The amount of times we get caught out in that position is ridiculous.

Get back to 442, Lewis or Dummett in place of Richie. Forgive Fede for whatever he's done too! Almiron and ASM on the wings with Gayle/Anderson up front with Wilson. 

I appreciate that Joelinton plays better wide of a front 3, and our 2 best CMs Shelvey and Willock don't provide enough protection in a 442 but trying to shoe horn our "best" XI players into the starting line up isn't working 

30 minutes ago, NJS said:

Stating the bleeding obvious that the defence is shit is fine but there aren't enough questions as to why our best defender isn't in the match day squad. 

Surly he's launched Jones or something like that. 

Or

He's the mole! 

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Time to drop 532 and scrap the wing backs. The amount of times we get caught out in that position is ridiculous.

Get back to 442, Lewis or Dummett in place of Richie. Forgive Fede for whatever he's done too! Almiron and ASM on the wings with Gayle/Anderson up front with Wilson. 

I appreciate that Joelinton plays better wide of a front 3, and our 2 best CMs Shelvey and Willock don't provide enough protection in a 442 but trying to shoe horn our "best" XI players into the starting line up isn't working 

With all due respect,to even consider playing Lewis The Coward suggests you either haven’t watched him play for us,or you’re related to the coward.

2 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

With all due respect,to even consider playing Lewis The Coward suggests you either haven’t watched him play for us,or you’re related to the coward.

Or... he's done well at international level and a bit of proper coaching could make him worth a bash instead of Richie, whose defending is all over the shop 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I thought it was time to move on?

It's literally been two games with the new manager in change, the first he couldn't even be at the game due to covid and we would have won it were it not for a nightmare game from Darlow. The second was far from great but there was obvious signs of improvement and a new more active style of play. We didn't really deserve anything from it but if the stonewall penalty is given we go ahead and that could have changed things.

Summary; two games with a new manager and faulty limited players are looking improved, some markedly. Edwards still an egotistical contrary cath word with finger far from pulse of the community, likely inserted rectally.

We are where we are in large part because his mate was our manager for nearly 2 and a half years, in general it is of course down to Ashley but Bruce deserves a lot of criticism for where we are and as I’ve said in the past if Edwards can’t see why he should pack in being a football journalist as it’s bleedingly obvious. 

We’ve already seen performances from certain players better than anything they did while Bruce was manager and it’s been two fucking weeks. 

His point is also, as per usual with him, completely wrong anyway. He’s trying to frame it as if it’s almost exclusively the players being the issue, while accusing others of pinning it all on Bruce yet two minutes scanning comments on anything regarding our team and you’ll see huge gripes people had with player performance and ability before Bruce, during Bruce’s tenure, and still to this day. In short the blokes a fucking prick, he puts everything in black and white terms while accusing others of doing the same despite the fact basically nobody does. We all know the squad is weak but the point being they’ve visibly regressed during his tenure, the ability levels of this group of players absolutely isn’t bottom of the PL with no wins, we’ve seen far more from them in past seasons and his ridiculous “no longer capable” or however he phrased it holds no water imo you’re talking about a 2 season time scale here not 5-6. The players have received hardly any training or tactics in Bruce’s tenure, and the fact that Edwards literally blows that off in the below tweet shows the level of bollocks he posts to defend his unqualified bestie:

the arrogance of this tool :lol: aye you’re right Luke, change the entire mood, actually train the players, etc and absolutely nothing will improve ffs man how can he even tweet this? Does he genuinely think if Howe was given this team back in June we would be in this same position? If the answer is no (hint it definitely is) then his entire shit point is made redundant. He’s clearly dressing this Arsenal result up as a massive failure but despite losing 2-0 in what was imo a poor performance we still managed 5 shots on target to their 6, that gives us a fighting chance of walking away with points, in contrast we went games under Bruce without registering any shots on target which is simply unacceptable. 

As far as I’m concerned the bloke has absolutely no credibility as a journalist. I still see his ridiculous tweets but I’ll never read any of his articles, he’s shit at his job so why bother? Tweets like the above are simply embarrassing as well, attacking and insulting the fan base he’s supposed to be covering games for yet he then whinges when people insult him? I’m not sure what he expects. Then again he cried when similar was happening to Bruce, the pair of fucking fannies. 

• Like 3

He’s prepared to argue having a deeply unpopular manager was a good thing rather than admit his mate/source was a fucking joke. That’s how much journalistic integrity he has. 

• Like 3

This mantra of “we didn’t deserve anything” out of the game is patently bollocks, three clear penalty claims utterly ignored by ALL the officials and a Shelvey effort that plenty of times could have counted.

From what I remember teams don’t have to dominate or necessarily be the best overall to grab a point or even three. We were denied clear, decent chances by blinkered officials and a very decent goalkeeper.

• Like 5