Shelvey's unrivalled stats and his peers in central midfield vs Arsenal (aka match thread drivel)

Dr Gloom

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Let's make it after he takes us down instead. Listening to Gerrard talk about balance was like he'd been Rafa cloned. Watching Howe go all out attack and concede 3 at home to Brentford just reminded me of the short blanket analogy. But let's not pretend we don't have any previous Howe work we can make our judgement on. He's been employed before, you know.

If Ashley had appointed him everybody would have been up in arms. I'm not saying he's talentless, just not what we need right now.

Bookmarked.

tenor.gif

13 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Let's make it after he takes us down instead. Listening to Gerrard talk about balance was like he'd been Rafa cloned. Watching Howe go all out attack and concede 3 at home to Brentford just reminded me of the short blanket analogy. But let's not pretend we don't have any previous Howe work we can make our judgement on. He's been employed before, you know.

If Ashley had appointed him everybody would have been up in arms. I'm not saying he's talentless, just not what we need right now.

Bookmarked.

55DA0014-1063-448E-8D14-F43A42CD74E2.gif

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Bookmarked.

2190BB98-06B9-4EE5-896C-4C92BA8FB2FC.jpeg

• Haha 3

On 27/11/2021 at 21:29, OTF said:

Shearer giving Dermott Gallacher a right going over regarding the Schar penalty that should have been given.

And had the gall to say that VAR is only for howlers - if the ref saw that and thought it was not a foul, then it was a howler, if he did not see it, then his attention should have been drawn to it and would have had to give it (he certainly would have if it had been in the other penalty box).

• Like 1

I don't think people would be up in arms if Ashley had appointed him. We have had 2 games under him. 1 game we drew, without him able to attend in person, due to a few poor individual errors. The next game we lost, as was expected. What has not been factored in is the impact of Howe also not being at the training ground each day. Before he tested positive a lot was made of the impact he was having in each training session. I cannot believe that anyone who has seen a game before Brentford and then watch the last two games could still think we are in the same level of trouble. Yes, we are in trouble but we are in a far better place. If Bruce could fluke some wins with the way we were playing then we are definitely able to manage some now.

• Like 5

as much as quiff is on the wind up, i do worry about the defence. i know it's only two games for howe, but was anyone scratching their head at krafth and richie as full backs in a 4-4-2?

i loved seeing us press and play on the front foot against brentford, but we won't survive unless howe finds a way to tighten us up defensively. 

fernandez is a strange one. i don't know what's going on with him to not even be in the matchday squad. dummet would walk back into the team if he was fit. it feels like we need almost an entirely new defence in january. two new full backs and a new centre half, ideally.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we can blame Howe for our defensive displays just yet. He's inherited a team of (at best) championship defenders. It's testament to Rafa that he somehow made them look competent over successive seasons. Lejeune and Fede were probably our best 2 and we sold one and have sent the other to Coventry for some reason

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, NJS said:

From a pure defensive improvement pov we need Fernandez, Dummet and sadly Manquillo as best of a bad bunch. 

if we're going four at the back, i'd put manquillo in at right back  - definitely ahead of krafth, who had no business being anywhere near the first team. maybe give lewis another go at left back becsause richie is lost in that position.

and yeah, bring back fernandez too. i don't know what's going on there. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

as much as quiff is on the wind up, i do worry about the defence. i know it's only two games for howe, but was anyone scratching their head at krafth and richie as full backs in a 4-4-2?

i loved seeing us press and play on the front foot against brentford, but we won't survive unless howe finds a way to tighten us up defensively. 

Aye, the change was odd.  But like KD said, I think it's too early to judge Howe.

We (well I certainly did) went into that match with some hope.  When was the last time we went to Arsenal like that?

• 8 months later...
On 28/11/2021 at 21:33, TheGingerQuiff said:

Bookmarked.

This aged well :lol: 

• Haha 4