Shelvey's unrivalled stats and his peers in central midfield vs Arsenal (aka match thread drivel)

Dr Gloom

The result was to be expected but I’d hoped for a more spirited performance. As things are we do also need as many decisions going to our favour as possible but to get absolutely no decision at all won’t even earn us lucky results.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Wilson’s pen not given.It seems that if the ball had been within playing distance of both players,no pen would have been the correct decision.It wasn’t though.Wilson had control of the ball so he was within distance of the ball and the Arsenal player wasn’t,so therefore it was a pen.

Agreed, that exact reason is why the commentators excuse of shoulder to shoulder didn’t wash for me. Like you say if the ball was there for both to win it could have been argued shoulder to shoulder, but the Arsenal player had no play on the ball and Wilson did.

• Like 1

Surely against Norwich and Burnley we’re not going to play any offensive players who are unable to create,score or add a spark.BUJ7 for example.Fraser can at least can get a ball in the box,as can Murphy if played further forward.Let’s play defensive players who can defend ( so obvious,I know) and give up on attacking fullbacks of wingbacks.Could Hayden not do a job in defence? 

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

I’d also like to know why we don’t play Fernandez.

Not on the bench today...injured?

Have to say it's not looking good...if Leeds beat Brighton tonight we're 8 from safety...if it stays like that till January then it's tricky to work out what sort of players we'll get. It's pretty inconceivable that anyone who would make a big difference would want to join, definitely not permanently that's for sure. Then in every single game without exception we're playing catch up, with that thought in the players' minds every time they cross the white line...then you've got the entire English football public and the media who lead them willing us to go down....as I say, it's not looking good. Difficult to see three worse teams as things stand...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Have to say it's not looking good...if Leeds beat Brighton tonight we're 8 from safety...if it stays like that till January then it's tricky to work out what sort of players we'll get. It's pretty inconceivable that anyone who would make a big difference would want to join, definitely not permanently that's for sure. Then in every single game without exception we're playing catch up, with that thought in the players' minds every time they cross the white line...then you've got the entire English football public and the media who lead them willing us to go down....as I say, it's not looking good. Difficult to see three worse teams as things stand...

We probably do actually need to get a siege mentality going asap tbh.

33 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

We’re fucked. I don’t see us getting out of it

My hopes on staying up are up and down like fuck.

We have a massive run of games until the transfer window.  By the time that opens we could be well and truly FUCKED.  In which case the Transfer window is moot.  

Positives
Having Dubravka back.  IMO Darlow in net today and we would have been smashed.
Shelvey seems to have reacted well to Howe.  He had a couple of decent efforts today and is pushing more forward.

BUJ7.  He like Shelvey has reacted well.  Albeit after 30mins today he went into his shell again.  He has worked hard.

Schar.  He's back.

We looked tired after the break.  Arsenal we obviously responding to Lego head, but it's like they had jelly legs.  I am hoping our fitness levels are still on the rise.

I can see Leeds are getting players back and they will start winning IMO.   I can see them beating Brighton tonight.  

• Like 1

Leeds are getting beat tonight. MARK MY WORDS. 

Someone like Palace is gonna get sucked back into it too. Everyone chomping on Howard from the Halifax's plums cos he had a few good results at the start of the season. Let's see if he can keep it going. 

• Like 1

We cannot defend,our possession stats are shocking,and we don’t create many chances.When Wilson picks up his next booking it will result in him missing a game through suspension,so that’s another defeat.Almiron runs around with no end product.BUJ7 the same,only recently has he been running around mind.Both are categorised as offensive players.Murphy is an offensive player but he’s being played in a defensive back five.That leaves The Saint and Fraser.Fraser has the ability to get the odd cross into the box but who’ll be in the box.Willock isn’t breaking sweat.I’ve already questioned Willock’s ability to contribute in other ways other than scoring.Hence my lack of enthusiasm when we signed him.He was never going to continue his goals per games record from last season.You would have thought that he would have used today’s game as a chance to prove to Arsenal that he was worth keeping.Today he was shite.He’s been shite all season.If you don’t give a toss you are guaranteed to be shite.Proving we’re better than Norwich next week isn’t something I’m confident about.A win against Burnley would surprise me,with or without Wilson in the team,especially if TOT returns to the team.Am I right in saying we have been second best in every game so far?

1 hour ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

We cannot defend,our possession stats are shocking,and we don’t create many chances.When Wilson picks up his next booking it will result in him missing a game through suspension,so that’s another defeat.Almiron runs around with no end product.BUJ7 the same,only recently has he been running around mind.Both are categorised as offensive players.Murphy is an offensive player but he’s being played in a defensive back five.That leaves The Saint and Fraser.Fraser has the ability to get the odd cross into the box but who’ll be in the box.Willock isn’t breaking sweat.I’ve already questioned Willock’s ability to contribute in other ways other than scoring.Hence my lack of enthusiasm when we signed him.He was never going to continue his goals per games record from last season.You would have thought that he would have used today’s game as a chance to prove to Arsenal that he was worth keeping.Today he was shite.He’s been shite all season.If you don’t give a toss you are guaranteed to be shite.Proving we’re better than Norwich next week isn’t something I’m confident about.A win against Burnley would surprise me,with or without Wilson in the team,especially if TOT returns to the team.Am I right in saying we have been second best in every game so far?

https://bfy.tw/S5lh

• Haha 3

6 points off Leeds. At least their December run is as bad as ours. 

If we can get 3 points in our next match it will be a psychological boost, keeping in touching distance of safety. But we need to play a lot more like we did vs. Brentford than we did vs Chelsea and Arsenal