Diego vs The Fish

Tom

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

I bet you're charitable, and a vegan and have a full head of hair, too.

God, this is like peering through the multiverse and finding a better version of yourself living their best life.

Dark Matter? 

1.- No. I have never liked that book. I am not much to read about tactics ... I also do not think I know anything or am good at it. The tactic I handle best is futsal (indoor soccer).

2.- England (Salah and Bernardo Silva), Spain (Really I don't know. Probably a Real Madrid player but I will never admit to saying this ), Italy (Chiesa and Osimhen), Germany (Kimmich), Portugal (Pedro Gonçalves and Luis Díaz). 

3.- Some time ago I used to follow tournaments as a African Cup U17 (or World Cup) and I know some player as Sekou Koita, Osimhen or Iheanacho that impressed me when they played in local teams (also so many that was very poor in top level like Sadick Adams or Nwakali brothers). But I am not know so much about African Leagues... In South America... Facundo Farías (Colón), Pedro de la Vega (Lanús), Gabriel Verón (Palmeiras), Matías Arezo (River Plate Uruguay), Facu Torres (Peñarol de Montevideo).  

4.- Absolutely not. He was a creative midfielder, very technical, but very physically weak, who could play as a 'hitch'. Hugo Viana came from being named Best Young Soccer Player of the Year (Just before the Golden Boy award officially appeared). It is said in Jorge Mendes' autobiography that Hugo Viana was the agent's first transfer in England, that he still did not speak fluent English, and that there were aspects during the meetings with Shepherd and Sir Bobby Robson that Mendes did not understand about the everything.

5.- First time I have heard about this book..

6.- Yes, but not many, I have to say.

7.- Three times, but in Old versions of FM seven or eight years ago: 

-CD Móstoles (The team of my village). Starting in 3ª Division (fourth category) and I remember when I get the promotion to 1ª División the game crash.

-Calcio Catania. Starting in Serie C (Thir Italian Division) and getting in 5 years winning the Champions League (But just runner up in Italian League)

-Barnet. Starting in League Two and gettint two promotions in a row to Championship. 

8.- I guess.... Ashley want people with knowledge in bussiness... but not in football....

9,.-  I do not have any doubt. The team has to be very defensive, balanced and supportive. Everyone has to run to defend and be a rock behind. From there ... getting points. Tiki Taka's 'nice' game processes (Passing Game) are long processes that take a lot of time. TIme that we haven't. On the other hand, if you put up a good defense, if you don't concede goals, you already know that every game you are going to get at least one point. Once the permanence is achieved, the next season will be seen.

10.- Ok... Who is the man in the picture???? hahaha,

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 4

On 24/12/2021 at 14:58, Dr Gloom said:

Bravado Dave does not need a love doctor 

I've retired him. 

It's Fiscally Responsible Dave, and Dad-Joke Dave now, I'm afraid.

On 22/12/2021 at 23:24, Tom said:

In the past some Hungarian nerds would hang out in cafes and discuss football tactics, losers. Nobody cares. 

However, we on toontastic.net have greater brains. We have @The Fish& the new star @Diego21

The purpose of this thread is to establish 10 questions for our two contestants, the winner of which will be decided by poll. 

The users decide the questions, the contestants pick a charity for which pledged funds will be donated. 

Deadline - January 1st

Get into them!

Have either of your read (cover to cover) the seminal masterpiece “Inverting The Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics” by Jonathan Wilson and could you provide a synopsis that wouldn’t put a glass eye to sleep?

Tells the story of changing tactics over the years. It's good. I couldn't say that I understood everything, or could even apply what I did learn to anything more useful than an internet argument.

Who (in your humble opinion) is the best player in each of the top 5 divisions in europe (england, spain, italy, germany, france [portugal is also acceptable as a substitute for france]) that is playing at a team so far below their level that we could realistically sign them and have them make a difference to us in the near future?

De Bruyne in the Prem. Salah is a wonderful striker, but there are gaps in his game, for me. If De Bruyne is a Rolls Royce, Salah is a Lambourhini.

So looking further a field than just Europe, who in the America's and Africa should we be looking to sign as player(s) so we can finally live out that dream of the Newcastle in GOAL!

Julian Alvarez from River Plate. Wide forward (aren't they all these days?).

Matias Arezo another striker from River Plate

Danilo from Palmeiras, defensive midfield, dubbed the new Kante and on the RADAR of Real Madrid and the like.

Gabriel Menino a versatile central midfielder from Palmeiras, could get him fro around £15-20m. 

Talles Magno a forward but he's already on the books at NYCFC, so if he's up to much, he'll move to Man City soon enough, I'm sure.

I know sweet fuck all about African football.

Was viana a defensive midfielder?

No. 

Have either of you read Matthew Syed book 'Black box thinking'? 

Nope.

Did you have an intimate experience with a woman before the age of 25?

Yes. How is your mum?

Have either of you used the 'journey man' route in football manager? Where one starts off unemployed on the lowest settings and see how far you can get? If so where did you get? 

Took AFC Wimbledon from the Conference South to the Championship play offs. Never finished that season though. Always seem to start one of those games just before the new game comes out, lose interest and start playing yet another Newcastle game.

Was the appointment of Joe Kinnear to replace Kevin Keegan, a practical joke that got out of hand or were llambias and Ashley really that cuntish?

Really that cuntish.

Assuming we can buy targets in 3 areas (of your choosing) in the January transfer window, which playstyle or tactical approach would you like to see the team change to in order to be the most successful it can be?

This season? It's all about sorting out the defensive side of our squad. Bring in qulaity across the back line and in nets and we can turn these good performances into winning performances.  So many of our dropped points this season have been from individual errors, rather than the wrong set up.  I'd like to evolve from that into a pressing counter attack side because I think that a) is achievable without wholesale changes, 2) gives you versatility to further improve without ripping up the foundations that got you there,  and iii) would achieve top half of the table if you've got the right players (and that's the kind of form we'd need to stay up).  So, similar to Leicester's play style. 

If we were to stay up with that, I'd then evolve from that into a team more comfortable on the ball, one that looks to pass around the press rather than dribbling through, or lofting over it. That evolution should also mean we could pass around teams with no interest in attacking, something we've struggled with for years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As much as I enjoy the piss taking (and I do) I actually also enjoy reading Diego and Fish's takes on these things. They're both more informed than I am and it's interesting to see what they think.

Cheers both ;) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

As much as I enjoy the piss taking (and I do) I actually also enjoy reading Diego and Fish's takes on these things. They're both more informed than I am and it's interesting to see what they think.

Cheers both ;) 

Not much of an apology, mind.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

:lol:

This has plainly been bothering the tits off Dave for over a week 

Not this, you. You've been bothering the tits off me. And not just for a week. 

;) 

On 23/12/2021 at 00:20, Andrew said:

Who (in your humble opinion) is the best player in each of the top 5 divisions in europe (england, spain, italy, germany, france [portugal is also acceptable as a substitute for france]) that is playing at a team so far below their level that we could realistically sign them and have them make a difference to us in the near future?

This question is tough. There are some who you could argue would join us for the payday, and would see joining us as joining the Premier League, rather than NUFC specifically. Players like Botman e.g.  

Trying to find the European version of, Zaha e.g. is difficult. 

It's beyond me without access to Wyscout or the equivalent.

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This question is tough. There are some who you could argue would join us for the payday, and would see joining us as joining the Premier League, rather than NUFC specifically. Players like Botman e.g.  

Trying to find the European version of, Zaha e.g. is difficult. 

It's beyond me without access to Wyscout or the equivalent.

Is it that hard?

The Guardian has an annual list of what leading football writers consider the best players in the world, there is also a list of the best young players - the tools are readily available.

Dusan Vlahovic - Fiorentina

Gerard Moreno - Villareal

Luis Diaz - Porto

Dani Olmo - RB Leipzig

You should be able to pick an player from the Premier League.

Edited by sammynb

4 hours ago, sammynb said:

Is it that hard?

The Guardian has an annual list of what leading football writers consider the best players in the world, there is also a list of the best young players - the tools are readily available.

Dusan Vlahovic - Fiorentina

Gerard Moreno - Villareal

Luis Diaz - Porto

Dani Olmo - RB Leipzig

You should be able to pick an player from the Premier League.

And you think Vlahovic or any of the others you've listed would join us? Why not list Moukoko, Camavinga or fucking Haaland, you fool.

This is why I keep your gormless fucking shit muted. Jesus Christ.

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

And you think Vlahovic or any of the others you've listed would join us? Why not list Moukoko, Camavinga or fucking Haaland, you fool.

This is why I keep your gormless fucking shit muted. Jesus Christ.

Of course they would Davey boy, money talks and they are all playing for clubs who are in financial trouble and unlike Moukoko, Camavinga or fucking Haaland they aren't being linked with the big money clubs.

But hey you're the expert and I'm just gormless, so whatever.

29 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Well this thread got interesting.

601nti.jpeg.161438a5443f6701b9ae9488a49dd568.jpeg

Is that crack Diego is smoking?

Btw his answer to Andrew's question wasn't much better - they both said Salah (not from a club below his level) but at least Diego offered up a few possibles.