howe's battle weary covid evading magpies v ragnick's conveniently rested and newly coached red devils.

thebrokendoll

So can someone put into perspective what we are now seeing in Joe position wise for me. IE ideally former players who you would say have played like that.

I sort of think he’s a bit like the love child of Cabaye and Tiote but would appreciate a more precise player to compare him to.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

So can someone put into perspective what we are now seeing in Joe position wise for me. IE ideally former players who you would say have played like that.

I sort of think he’s a bit like the love child of Cabaye and Tiote but would appreciate a more precise player to compare him to.

He’s playing like Patrick Vieira 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We need 29 points from the last 19 games to get to the 40 point mark. The odds of us winning 10/19 games after a run of 1/19 aren't great! Let's hope there's 3 teams who implode and we only need 35/36 points 

We might get away with seven or eight wins and a few draws. Still looks a tall order given we only have one win so far.

Agree with what others have said about enjoying football again. The atmosphere last night sounded great and I loved seeing us pressing high up the pitch to win the ball back and start new attacks. Just feels like we need some luck to start going our way to stand a chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We need 29 points from the last 19 games to get to the 40 point mark. The odds of us winning 10/19 games after a run of 1/19 aren't great! Let's hope there's 3 teams who implode and we only need 35/36 points 

The requirement to stay up this year is gonna be nowhere near 40 points. More likely to be closer to 30.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He’s playing like Patrick Vieira 

This is a good comparison, feels silly saying it but not many others compare with the physicality and athleticism that he's bringing lately. Cabaye and Tiote are not bad shouts positionally CT just that Cabaye never had the physicality and Tiote never had the attacking impetus, neither had the aerial presence of Joelinton either.

We can only hope that he maintains this level of pressing and involvement.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

No, he's more David Batty/Dietmar Hamann with Speedo's positional sense; breaking up player, calmly moving the ball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I just think he’s more comfortable and can use his physicality and pace more from a deeper position. I get the feeling he’s a massive confidence player too but playing that bit deeper he spends more time facing the opposition goal. From his time playing upfront you could see he wasn’t comfortable with his back to goal, being isolated, battling the centre-back. Howe’s obviously spotted something in him and realised a more dynamic role in midfield where he’s involved in the play more suits him. Tl/dr he’s a much better midfielder than he is a striker

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Alex said:

playing that bit deeper he spends more time facing the opposition goal. From his time playing upfront you could see he wasn’t comfortable with his back to goal,

Waddle made the same observation during the commentary on our local feed.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Rob Lee without the goals 

I’m happy to eat my words about him. I just re-read the start of this thread and we were all rightly horrified we signed him as our number 9 for a record fee, he was that bad up front. 

I think it was J69 who clocked it first that he looked like a midfielder rather than a striker from his YT highlights reel. So the bizarre thing isn’t that we signed him in the first place. If he continues this form in midfield, the £40m fee won’t look quite so ridiculous. It’s that we (allegedly) paid all that money for him then tried to play him out of position. It’s like signing Mbappe to solve our central defensive problems. 

The most impressive thing has been his work rate defensively. His willingness to track back as well as get forwards and the number of 50/50s he’s winning when he does get back. When was the last time we had a proper box-to-box midfielder? 

• Like 3

All down to the laziness of Steve Bruce. You could forgive that bloke just not being very good as a manager, but he was bone fucking idle too. Just picking up a wage, fully bought into the Ashley dream of 17th spot and nothing more. 

Having a £40m player turn up at the club and taking zero interest in where best to deploy him. Just a giant cunt of a man. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Lowest points total to avoid relegation was West Brom on 34 I think?

F3926D3C-920B-4437-8627-6AB03B50B4C3.jpeg

We'll see what happens. I really don't think we need to be basing our survival goal on 40 points though. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

We'll see what happens. I really don't think we need to be basing our survival goal on 40 points though. 

That’s just the benchmark for guaranteed survival though. I think it’s only West Ham who ever went down with 40points or more? 

We could scrape up on 35 points but it’s going to be squeaky bum time in the run in, and probably decided on the last day of the season.

Anyone got the stomach for that? :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m happy to eat my words about him. I just re-read the start of this thread and we were all rightly horrified we signed him as our number 9 for a record fee, he was that bad up front. 

I think it was J69 who clocked it first that he looked like a midfielder rather than a striker from his YT highlights reel. So the bizarre thing isn’t that we signed him in the first place. If he continues this form in midfield, the £40m fee won’t look quite so ridiculous. It’s that we (allegedly) paid all that money for him then tried to play him out of position. It’s like signing Mbappe to solve our central defensive problems. 

Bruce all over. He kept playing out of position, due to a lack of research and having any analytical nouse, to the point where he absolutely destroyed the lad’s confidence. I’m not suggesting I saw a player in him but I said he was being hung out to dry upfront. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The performance was superb but the fact we didn’t win a game we dominated in terms of chances crested is a massive concern when you’re as desperate for points as we are. We have to start winning games at some point 

This conjures up images of Fraser in the British comedy Dads Army saying '  we're all doomed'. | by Mr Galoot | Medium

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That’s just the benchmark for guaranteed survival though. I think it’s only West Ham who ever went down with 40points or more? 

We could scrape up on 35 points but it’s going to be squeaky bum time in the run in, and probably decided on the last day of the season.

Anyone got the stomach for that? :lol: 

Nope. :lol:

But I think that's the season ahead, unless we have an absolutely incredible January and start putting clear water between us and the pack. If Howe had come in and won those three "must win" home games though, we would basically be almost completely out of trouble now, which is crackers and shows just how shit the bottom half of the table is. 

Similarly though, if he can put on a run like that now, we'd be looking alright, I think. Not safe, but with a big fighting chance of getting out of bother. 

It's the margin for error that scares me. Unless someone above us absolutely plummets (I'm looking at you Everton, Leeds and Southampton), then there's basically no margin for error or scope for dropped points. 

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

All down to the laziness of Steve Bruce. You could forgive that bloke just not being very good as a manager, but he was bone fucking idle too. Just picking up a wage, fully bought into the Ashley dream of 17th spot and nothing more. 

Having a £40m player turn up at the club and taking zero interest in where best to deploy him. Just a giant cunt of a man. 

The biggest weakness in Ashley’s tenure was wanting his managers to be competent yes men. The two things simply do not go hand in hand. Good managers who can improve players want the side to progress. The idea you can tread water is unsustainable ( as the relegations showed). Any manager buying into the philosophy where you can just keep staying up by not spending very much is always going to be someone who lacks self respect and is just happy to be here. With Bruce we probably reached ‘peak Ashley’. We seemed to have an inordinate amount of luck to achieve the league positions we did under him. It was undoubtedly coming home to roost this season before the takeover. His job wasn’t even under threat, man 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Fuck

665620EC-5CFE-48C6-AC3D-C58A2A4ADEA8.jpeg

Bad news but the timing at least gives us the chance to do something about it. We were desperate for someone to ease Wilson’s workload even before the injury 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1