howe's battle weary covid evading magpies v ragnick's conveniently rested and newly coached red devils.

thebrokendoll

1 hour ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I think Raphina is linked with Bayern for €50. I wonder if their goals are to remain financially stable or to develop their squad. 

Read that as Radgina at first 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

The biggest weakness in Ashley’s tenure was wanting his managers to be competent yes men. The two things simply do not go hand in hand. Good managers who can improve players want the side to progress. The idea you can tread water is unsustainable ( as the relegations showed). Any manager buying into the philosophy where you can just keep staying up by not spending very much is always going to be someone who lacks self respect and is just happy to be here. With Bruce we probably reached ‘peak Ashley’. We seemed to have an inordinate amount of luck to achieve the league positions we did under him. It was undoubtedly coming home to roost this season before the takeover. His job wasn’t even under threat, man 

I might set my MIKE+ASHLEY+HELICOPTER Google alert back up after reading this. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Fuck. So add first choice centre forward and playmaker to the list of essential January recruits.

Playmaker? Is Shelvey* out?

ASM is a maverick winger but he ain't no playmaker.

*I don't think Shelvey is a playmaker either but he's the closest we've currently got.

3 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Playmaker? Is Shelvey* out?

ASM is a maverick winger but he ain't no playmaker.

*I don't think Shelvey is a playmaker either but he's the closest we've currently got.

Given that Howe admitted as much yesterday that our strategy is pretty much to get the ball to ASM, and something like 60-70% of our attacks came down his flank I’d say he is our playmaker, yeah, as he was under Bruce. 

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

All down to the laziness of Steve Bruce. You could forgive that bloke just not being very good as a manager, but he was bone fucking idle too. Just picking up a wage, fully bought into the Ashley dream of 17th spot and nothing more. 

Having a £40m player turn up at the club and taking zero interest in where best to deploy him. Just a giant cunt of a man. 

It was a depressing and traumatic miracle that we weren't relegated under him. The truth is the suffering of watching us with him at the helm (bullshitting results on the back of some individual runs of form) was worse than relegation because we had to listen to 'pundits' singing his praises.

• Like 4

That injury news is grim reading. Wilson out for months. ASM probably for a month at least. Fraser for a few weeks.

We need a shitload of signings in January now as we already needed to replace our entire shit defence and now we need backup for our entire injured attack. I can't see us getting anywhere near enough signings in as even the logistics of getting that many signings done makes it seem unlikely. This is going to be a tough January/February without our two best players.

So disappointing that the positives of the 1-1 are overshadowed by those injuries, essentially making it the worst result of the entire December fixture list for the implications it has going forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

:lol: 

:lol:

'What's gannin on?!'

You pay good money, you go to the match, it's a big one, it's tight and we're doing ok,  you're in the city centre so can have food or drink where you like pre and post game but you spend time while the games on metres away from you watching a shit TV feed paying over the odds for shit food and shit drink surrounded by fucking breeze blocks. Why do they go? Aye, mate what the fuck is gannin on indeed? 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I don't think Norwich, Burnley, Watford or Leeds are going to get close to 36 points. I can't see where their sudden upturn in form will come from. Maybe Leeds when their squad return from injury. I see Everton also being more likely to stay out of the 'battle' due to the form of the rest rather than gaining a load of points. They got 13 of their 19 points in the first 5 games. 6 points in their last 12 games implies that they have imploded and we aren't even looking that far up the table for survival. I don't think the team who survives this year will need to do much.

At the end of the day, we need to get 4 more points than Watford, Burnley, and Norwich.  Doubt that is going to require 40 in total.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

At the end of the day, we need to get 4 more points than Watford, Burnley, and Norwich.  Doubt that is going to require 40 in total.

We need to drag Brentford, Leeds and Everton into that fight and hope Burnley don't get much out of their games in hand. Watford and Norwich look poor. 

Watford have lost 7 of their last 8, I think, and they're about to lose a handful of players to the ACON. I think they could be in real bother while we look like we might start heading in the opposite direction. 

• Like 1