a ticket thread....

thebrokendoll

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Castle Leazes (site we went for in 1997) or next to the Metro Arena seems the most plausible. We'll never get Town Moor, the council would never agree to it and there'd be hell on. 

I'm sure one of the biggest complaints back in 1997 was about the allotments that'd be lost. Which ironically are no longer there. Problem solved? 

I really think that the only viable site, if you’re looking for somewhere within the “city limits”, is the Arena. 
A new stadium would have to be 80-100k capacity to be worth doing, and the space needed for that, parking, concession areas, only exists at the Arena or Castle Leazes. 
The Arena site is (marginally) better than Castle Leazes in all aspects, and isn’t yet surrounded by residential developments. 
I still think there’d be valid protests if we tried Castle Leazes. 
If they’re going to do it, they need to get the wheels in motion before some other fucker buys the land. 

• Like 3

Looking at the aerial footprint, the Arena might have to go to make way for it. Perhaps the arena ended up on the site of the former SJP? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

agree with this.

I'd also add that despite being somebody who benefited from the system for every home game post brighton, that season ticket holders should no longer be able to buy tickets for a guest. your season ticket should guarantee your own seat only.

not only that, on a match by match basis members should only be able to get one ticket. it's not going to take you very long to get pissed off you've forked out for a membership only to find out tickets have sold out before you get to your turn in the queue because a thousand people in front of you have all bought a ticket for a mate who isn't a member.

It blows my mind they sell memberships but someone with a season ticket can just buy a ticket as well for any given match. If it's a league game they almost certainly won't be together and it makes a mockery of the whole point of the membership thing. Closest I've been to calling the whole NUFC thing a day since chucking it when I was smugly told I'd be easily replaced by a club employee when I had a genuine complaint and the club sharp fucking forgot about the daft cunts who went home and away to see us get beat by clubs who aren't even in the football league now. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

Looking at the aerial footprint, the Arena might have to go to make way for it. Perhaps the arena ended up on the site of the former SJP? 

Aye, it would have to be demolished and the vacant land around it acquired. 
It would have the added bonus of potentially watching our six-fingered neighbours squirm like a bag of ragworms if they took any bookings from the Arena :lol:

• Haha 1

never been there for a match but I've driven past the allianz arena a fair few times and it's fucking awesome. imagine something like that lit up on the bank of the tyne and the first thing you see as a visiting supporter arriving by train. outstanding.

• Like 3

I think they should relocate like. Makes no sense to restrict the size of the ground to 60k or whatever. 

We've got enough money to pay someone a fortune for some insane atmosphere capturing design. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It blows my mind they sell memberships but someone with a season ticket can just buy a ticket as well for any given match. If it's a league game they almost certainly won't be together and it makes a mockery of the whole point of the membership thing. Closest I've been to calling the whole NUFC thing a day since chucking it when I was smugly told I'd be easily replaced by a club employee when I had a genuine complaint and the club sharp fucking forgot about the daft cunts who went home and away to see us get beat by clubs who aren't even in the football league now. 

I think other than the eligibility cut off thing the club have probably done the right thing in limiting new season ticket sales. but it only works if both the season ticket holder guest and members two ticket thing is scrapped, at the very least until capacity is increased.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

never been there for a match but I've driven past the allianz arena a fair few times and it's fucking awesome. imagine something like that lit up on the bank of the tyne and the first thing you see as a visiting supporter arriving by train. outstanding.

Very rudimentary overlay but the Allianz arena would fit the footprint ..... just

image.thumb.png.50a8f3c773deb10169dfd162e1291238.png

• Like 4

I’ve been to the Allianz, it was Oktoberfest and I was a bit worse for wear. I remember it being decent but not great. I mainly remember how steep the stands were (we were in the 3rd tier I think) and being able to drink in our seats. 

Loads of land around it as well. I remember walking through park land and a massive car park before we got to the ground but again wasn’t exactly compos mentis.

Looked amazing from outside all lit up mind.

It' be a far better prospect if they could secure the land between Railway Street & Scotswood Road as well. There'd be a hell of a lot of businesses to move on though.

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, it would have to be demolished and the vacant land around it acquired. 
It would have the added bonus of potentially watching our six-fingered neighbours squirm like a bag of ragworms if they took any bookings from the Arena :lol:

Theres already plans to demolish it. A replacement is being built next to the Sage. NGQ arena, 12500 seats 

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/20205/NewcastleGateshead-Quays-welcomes-The-Sage-an-international-venue-for-world-class-business-and-entertainment

Although this article reckons 1000 houses are being built on the land in front of the arena 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/what-happen-newcastles-utilita-arena-19267548.amp

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

To be fair that article on the housing is over 18 months old. So many development projects have fallen by the wayside since Covid. And the club has of course been taken over since then. 

We can but dream.

13 hours ago, Craig said:

Very rudimentary overlay but the Allianz arena would fit the footprint ..... just

image.thumb.png.50a8f3c773deb10169dfd162e1291238.png

You could definitely make it work there.

Might have an issue with the heliport mind.

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You could definitely make it work there.

Might have an issue with the heliport mind.

Theoretically could it not be moved to the other side of the Redheugh Bridge? And what's the status of the rail line coming out of Central Station running between Railway Street & The Arena, is that disused? 

The maths that some of these people come up with is hilarious. Pre-L7 the stadium capacity was 36,000. Extending the Milburn, NW corner & Leazes to L7 raised it to 52,000 - so an increase of 16,000 seats. 

Yet somehow they calculate the extension of the SW corner & the Gallowgate would take us to 70,000 - a further increase of 18,000 seats. 

So the Gallowgate & SW Corner combined somehow holds 2,000 more seats than the Milburn, Leazes & NW Corner combined? :wacko:

Am I the only one finding this both absurd & distasteful? :lol:

I don't think I'd ever like to leave hashtag SJP and also whilst we are selling tickets we could perhaps add a few seats via safe standing & they would probably suffice.

All this talk of increasing SJP to 70k or moving to a 90k giga stadium are absolutely absurd. 

Plus have you seen Spurs new stadium? It's full of craft ale, pop corn vendors & expensive sweet shops on carts. 

I may be stuck in the past but lt looks horrible on the inside.

We should maybe get some bigger tellies & make a pint easier to get. Run before we can walk etc 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

The maths that some of these people come up with is hilarious. Pre-L7 the stadium capacity was 36,000. Extending the Milburn, NW corner & Leazes to L7 raised it to 52,000 - so an increase of 16,000 seats. 

Yet somehow they calculate the extension of the SW corner & the Gallowgate would take us to 70,000 - a further increase of 18,000 seats. 

So the Gallowgate & SW Corner combined somehow holds 2,000 more seats than the Milburn, Leazes & NW Corner combined? :wacko:

simple solution - turn the gallowgate into the word's largest kop end

• Like 1