Chris Wood

Ayatollah Hermione

• 1 month later...

The anti stats brigade will hate this one, but thought this was interesting regarding big Chris.

https://theathletic.com/3346644/2022/06/07/premier-league-pass-networks/

Highest share of receiving value: Passing value isn’t just created by the player behind the ball — receivers matter too. After Pukki, whose 30.5 per cent share of Norwich’s receiving value led the league, the next two possession value leaders for passes received were Newcastle’s centre-forward in a 4-3-3 and Burnley’s left forward in a 4-4-2.

Notice what those have in common? They’re mostly the same guy: Chris Wood, who may have helped flip the Premier League relegation race when he took his talents to Tyneside in January.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The anti stats brigade will hate this one, but thought this was interesting regarding big Chris.

https://theathletic.com/3346644/2022/06/07/premier-league-pass-networks/

If you’re including me in this alleged “anti stats brigade” then I’d suggest you look at posts of those who criticised Wood the most. This stat appears to me to be useful because it’s an observable skill, not some mythical “X” bollocks…my opinion of Wood is that for all his size he wasn’t a typical target men/back to goal style centre forward…mostly when he received the ball outside the penalty area he looked to move it on as quickly as possible, sometimes into the space a defender has vacated who was attracted towards him due to his physical size..don’t know if that fits in with your stat but I could see with my own eyes the value of that to the way Howe wanted the team to play 👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If you’re including me in this alleged “anti stats brigade” then I’d suggest you look at posts of those who criticised Wood the most. 

I didn't name any names, if you want to infer that, it is up to you!

Esteemed company with that stat. Personally I think he’s a heap of shite. He helped keep us up, but his finishing is fucking criminal - I hope I don’t have to see him play much in future unless it’s against us. 

• Like 1

Just now, PaddockLad said:

The internet: no such thing as an “alright” footballer…they’re all either “world class” or “shit” :lol:

If you’re reading it that way, I’d say players like Krafth, Shelvey, Murphy, Fraser, and others were “alright” but yeah Wood was shit. I think if a forwards best contribution for a season was to be a lump that basically brought the ball down on long punts forward and did it as effectively as the forward for the worst side in the league, then nah I don’t think he’s alright. 

Is there a case for Wood? I’d genuinely love to hear someone try to put it forward. From what I’ve seen we may as well have put a 6ft+ midfielder or defender up top to try to win the long ball and lay it off. Their finishing would have been equally as effective.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Howay said:

If you’re reading it that way, I’d say players like Krafth, Shelvey, Murphy, Fraser, and others were “alright” but yeah Wood was shit. I think if a forwards best contribution for a season was to be a lump that basically brought the ball down on long punts forward and did it as effectively as the forward for the worst side in the league, then nah I don’t think he’s alright. 

Fair enough, you did say that he contributed to survival too…  I wasn’t suggesting that a comparison with Pukki was worthwhile either, but for clubs on a budget buying players with one main skill that isn’t immediately obvious but can be proven with stats is sometimes a way to steal a march on those around you.  The first Moneyball book goes into all that. I think Wood was well worth the money we paid for what he contributed . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I didn't name any names, if you want to infer that, it is up to you!

NAME AND SHAME!

Is it me? I don’t rate Wood and find the modern obsession with meaningless stats such as xG frankly bizarre 

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The xG dopes are back and in full effect. "mythical....meaningless"

Thick. As. Mince. :lol:

fighting talk from the so-called accountant 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Howay said:

Esteemed company with that stat. Personally I think he’s a heap of shite. He helped keep us up, but his finishing is fucking criminal - I hope I don’t have to see him play much in future unless it’s against us

That's a future free bet for Gemmill, first goal scorer "Chris Wood"  

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...