Longstaff Brothers Dim

wykikitoon

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Krafth is playing because of the situation with Trippier.  I get that.  But let's all be honest.  Joe isn't a midfielder.  Longstaff is.  If he had shown anything in training he would have surly been starting more games.

I think we seriously underestimate the destruction in confidence the Bruce regime may have caused him, and others too for that matter. (I'd put the likes of Lascelles and Krafth in the same boat) It is playing devil's advocate a little but the potential we saw when he was playing under Rafa was wiped out. As for why he's not started more games - could be that he's not at a level they want him to be, but that doesn't mean they definitely won't see potential in him if it is indeed there. 

I'll trust Eddie's (and his team's) judgement until they give me reason not to. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

It could be, but again he only played about 9 games under Benitez - it’s not unusual for a young player to come through and look up to it for a short spell. His knee injury that ended that season for him definitely slowed him down too. 

I still think it’s just to ensure we can get a fee to sell or loan him out. I guess I’m in the minority that’s not seeing what all the hype about Shelvey’s upturn in performances under Howe is about, so I’d question why Longstaff isn’t getting more opportunities over him, or Willock, if there really is some plan to give him a role going forward. I view this point as our lowest ebb where we will build and improve, so the players on the very fringes, or unregistered, I just don’t see having as much worth going forward as some do. 

Not having a go at Howe btw and totally trust the team but just for discussion purposes I don’t understand this move. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Krafth is playing because of the situation with Trippier.  I get that.  But let's all be honest.  Joe isn't a midfielder.  Longstaff is.  If he had shown anything in training he would have surly been starting more games.

Joelinton has been outperforming a lot of midfielders while playing in midfield, that point doesn't stick at all. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Howay said:

It could be, but again he only played about 9 games under Benitez - it’s not unusual for a young player to come through and look up to it for a short spell. His knee injury that ended that season for him definitely slowed him down too. 

I still think it’s just to ensure we can get a fee to sell or loan him out. I guess I’m in the minority that’s not seeing what all the hype about Shelvey’s upturn in performances under Howe is about, so I’d question why Longstaff isn’t getting more opportunities over him, or Willock, if there really is some plan to give him a role going forward. I view this point as our lowest ebb where we will build and improve, so the players on the very fringes, or unregistered, I just don’t see having as much worth going forward as some do. 

Not having a go at Howe btw and totally trust the team but just for discussion purposes I don’t understand this move. 

I agree that Shelvey's upturn in form isn't the phoenix from the flames story some would have you believe, and Willock hasn't even recaptured half the form we saw last season. I geuninely believe there's a player in Sean Longstaff that will serve the club better by being 70% of each of those two at once. 

Also, could the 4yr deal simply be a way to keep wages down? 

• Like 1

I think it’s pretty evident, considering how the latter part of this season has gone, that the squad needs more of a tweak than an overhaul. Obviously a striker (or two) and two or three other bits of class spread around the pitch.

So I see nowt wrong in holding some faith with young (once very promising) players. Not sure why there is such a negative reaction to this contract extension tbh.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve settled down on Longstaff getting a new deal after the end to the season. If he can come in and do a job when required, why not? He’ll probably be on a comparative pittance anyway. Maybe with Howe working him properly in pre-season, he might start looking good again

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Imagine all the tabs he can buy with his new contract 

Looking forward to your reaction when ASM signs a new deal 

• Haha 3

I think three years is generous but we need some players who are happy to make up the numbers. 

I do wonder if this means shelvey might be off. 

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’ve settled down on Longstaff getting a new deal after the end to the season. If he can come in and do a job when required, why not? He’ll probably be on a comparative pittance anyway. Maybe with Howe working him properly in pre-season, he might start looking good again

He already has tbh

Ive got faith he can be good under Howe. Will definitely be a good squad player. 

We can’t have all the Bruno’s at once. Sometimes we will have to have a Borat, or something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ive got faith he can be good under Howe. Will definitely be a good squad player. 

We can’t have all the Bruno’s at once. Sometimes we will have to have a Borat, or something.

or a Bensons, in cig’s case 

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...