cheese

thebrokendoll

fucking love the stuff I do.

lived in st loiuis in france for a couple of years and found the easiest way to wind me frenchie mates up was to tell them that their language wasn't very important and their cheese was shite.

in fairness the latter's probably not strictly true after being advised that only a heathen refrigerates camembert and the secret is to stick it in a dark cupboard till it shrinks to 1/4 its original size, turns a yellowy brown and can be smelt from 500 yards..... delicious!

on the above basis I would put camerbert on a par with a really good vintage farmhouse cheddar.

blue cheese is where its at for me though and I've always considered gorgonzola to be the king of cheese, until I discovered cabrales from northern spain. fucking hard to get a hold of mind, even from speciality cheese shops  but I urge you even if it means heading off to the picos de europe to find some, do so.

fucking magnificent!  

:)

39 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

the easiest way to wind me frenchie mates up was to tell them that their language wasn't very important and their cheese was shite.

:lol:
Every couple of months I go up to Blagdon for a cheese fest, you can get some really nice stuff there. 
I love a really good, nutty Red Leicester, and some of the Northumberland Nettle cheese is amazing. 
Not a great fan of blue cheeses tbh, I’ll have a little snifter now and then but mostly, bleurch. 
As far as French cheese, Comte, Cantal, Mimolette, Yogi , and occasionally a goats cheese ( Picodon de l’Ardeche if you can get it ), that’s been melted and dumped on a green salad- lush. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The reason I can never go vegan. 

Montgomery cheddar

Colston Basset Stilton 

Mont d’Or

Gorgonzola dolce

Camembert

Morbiet

Gruyère

Coulommiers

etc etc

piccante is the real stuff, dolce is the philadelphia of gorgonzola and you really should be rather ashamed of yourself!  ;)

Edited by thebrokendoll

19 minutes ago, Craig said:

FYP

I’m veggie. Would probably go full vegan if it wasn’t for cheese. I’m happy drinking plant-based milk substitutes but there is no substitute for cheese.

Though I will give that one you mentioned a try, @Tom 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

piccante is the real stuff, dolce is the philadelphia of gorgonzola and you really should be rather ashamed of yourself!  ;)

i like piccante too but love the creamy stuff 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

i like piccante too but love the creamy stuff 

you should try and hunt out some cabrales, if you haven't already tried it? sort of midway between a piccante and dolce in texture, but fuck is it potent and not as salty as the likes of roquefort.

didn't know it at the time but apparently cabrales is unique in that it's only blue where the veins aren't added artificially.

• Like 1

I know cheddar gets shit on by chipsters like us, but my mother-in-law buys hers from Fenwicks and makes cheese scones which are at least 60% cheese. 
She has three daughters, their spouses (self included),and seven grand kids, and we all know when it’s “scone day”, and if anyone takes more than their allotted scone allowance their is absolute, all out, mildly pissed-off war :lol:

They are the best cheese scones I’ve ever had, am ever likely to have, and I’ve told her if she doesn’t give me the recipe in her will, I’ll have her revived just so that I can kill her again. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I know cheddar gets shit on by chipsters like us, but my mother-in-law buys hers from Fenwicks and makes cheese scones which are at least 60% cheese. 
She has three daughters, their spouses (self included),and seven grand kids, and we all know when it’s “scone day”, and if anyone takes more than their allotted scone allowance their is absolute, all out, mildly pissed-off war :lol:

They are the best cheese scones I’ve ever had, am ever likely to have, and I’ve told her if she doesn’t give me the recipe in her will, I’ll have her revived just so that I can kill her again. 

worthy of both a laughy face and a heart symbol that post!  :)

• Haha 1

Fondu, you cretins - on a potato, piece of bread or mars bar. Not suitable for sexy shenanigans as it can get hotter than lava.

Special love to burger companions, feta , Kasseri and Kefalotiri.

There's a secret place in Jesmond that you can get this stuff "unpasturised" oooooo (well, it was secret, still I started telling everyone and their aunt)

Edited by scoobos
If Im going to use big clever words, I should learn to spell the fuckers first.
  • Like 1