Planning permission

Smooth Operator

Having a loft conversion done, had the plans drawn up, having a structural engineer to design the steel work that needs to go in, but then there's planning permission. Wasn't gonna get it in advance of the work being done.

I think I started a thread along these lines a while back but what I was wondering if anyone knew is if I have the plans all done and the structural work designed and then at a later date I had to prove to the council what was up there (therefore applying for planning permission in retrospect, if anyone grasses us up tbh) would this be enough? Is having plans and a design of the structural steel work gonna be enough for it to be granted at a later date or would I still be running a risk of having to rip it all out?

It's a risk I know but I like risk!

Aye, not worth risking. If you get the work done and they refused planning permission then you wouldn't be able to sell it on as an approved loft conversion which would affect the sale value.

Also, my understanding is that if you're not altering the outside appearance of the house, you don't need planning permission. You just need to meet building regulations and get the designs approved. Might be wrong like, but that's what the builder that came out to mine told me.

Aye, not worth risking.  If you get the work done and they refused planning permission then you wouldn't be able to sell it on as an approved loft conversion which would affect the sale value.

Also, my understanding is that if you're not altering the outside appearance of the house, you don't need planning permission.  You just need to meet building regulations and get the designs approved.  Might be wrong like, but that's what the builder that came out to mine told me.

101832[/snapback]

I think Local Authorities are pretty strict on Loft Conversions though, he's have to get the plans submitted and ok'd whatever happens. Something to do with how much room, support, and light there is up there if it's going to be used as a lived in room. I learnt this on Property Ladder, although I do spend the best part of an hour staring at Beeny's knockers so I may have misheard.

Aye, not worth risking.  If you get the work done and they refused planning permission then you wouldn't be able to sell it on as an approved loft conversion which would affect the sale value.

Also, my understanding is that if you're not altering the outside appearance of the house, you don't need planning permission.  You just need to meet building regulations and get the designs approved.  Might be wrong like, but that's what the builder that came out to mine told me.

101832[/snapback]

I think Local Authorities are pretty strict on Loft Conversions though, he's have to get the plans submitted and ok'd whatever happens. Something to do with how much room, support, and light there is up there if it's going to be used as a lived in room. I learnt this on Property Ladder, although I do spend the best part of an hour staring at Beeny's knockers so I may have misheard.

101834[/snapback]

:lol:

Titnotism.

101832[/snapback]

101834[/snapback]

Dunno mate, I think you still have to get the plans approved, but you don't need planning permission. I think the difference is in the cost and time it takes for you to get them back. I know when I was doing mine the bloke told me if I got Velux instead of dormer windows in, I wouldn't need planning permission because I wasn't significantly altering the external appearance of the house.

He might have been talking cobblers like.

101832[/snapback]

101834[/snapback]

Dunno mate, I think you still have to get the plans approved, but you don't need planning permission. I think the difference is in the cost and time it takes for you to get them back. I know when I was doing mine the bloke told me if I got Velux instead of dormer windows in, I wouldn't need planning permission because I wasn't significantly altering the external appearance of the house.

He might have been talking cobblers like.

101842[/snapback]

It's Beeny's tits man, no-one knows what's going on.

Might be wrong like, but that's what the builder that came out to mine told me.

101832[/snapback]

Saw you coming tbh

102019[/snapback]

Through the cracks in the loft floorboards? :icon_lol:

Might be wrong like, but that's what the builder that came out to mine told me.

101832[/snapback]

Saw you coming tbh

102019[/snapback]

Saw me coming and tried to save me money? That was very kind of him. :icon_lol: