The Entirely Unreasonable Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Andrew

It’s not unlikely. We’re 4th favourites to go down and have significantly improved relative to the three below us in the league. It’ll be difficult because of the lack of margin for error and the dreadful start we’ve had but we’re currently justifiably seen as being odds on to stay up

Edited by Alex

Man U were taking the piss with the relegation clause etc., but surely the Greenwood situation has influenced their decision to keep Lingard at least somewhat. I suppose we won't know until we see if Lingard gets any game time. 

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Bruno - 10

Trippier - 9

Burn - 7

Targett - 5

Wood - 5

Staveley and co - 8

what’s everyone else saying? 

Bruno - 10

Trippier - 10

Burn - 8

Targett - 5

Wood - 4

Staveley and co - 7

14 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Man U were taking the piss with the relegation clause etc., but surely the Greenwood situation has influenced their decision to keep Lingard at least somewhat. I suppose we won't know until we see if Lingard gets any game time. 

Martial and Van De Beek loans didnt help our cause either. I can understand why they kept him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I think people are being a bit harsh on Wood. We'd be absolutely fucked if we didn't have someone to lead the line at the minute. 

This Wood will score us goals if the service to him is good not just Shelvey hoofing it up the field and yelling run!

I think when Wilson is back fit play the two up top and they will bang in loads of goals. Just have a feeling they will compliment each other.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I think people are being a bit harsh on Wood. We'd be absolutely fucked if we didn't have someone to lead the line at the minute. 

Agreed, we needed him early in the transfer window. Although he didnt do much against Watford or Leeds he was still a focal point. Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he settles in. Hope everyone can get behind him as we will be relying on the lad for next 4 or 5 games at least. 

• Like 2

He was noticeably better against Leeds I think. Hopefully this trip away will have allowed him to settle in fully, and Trippier etc have been practicing finding his head in the box and getting to know where he likes the ball played in general. If Guimaraes is half the player he looks, and lets be honest even if he is it might take him time to adjust, then that extra control in midfield should allow us to create chances more consistently. 

• Like 2

I don’t mind Wood at all, I think if he’s given good service he will score goals or do enough to bring others into the game, my only worry there is the way we play doesn’t really give us much opportunity for that second bit as he’s often so isolated. Hopefully Bruno is the spark in CM that allows us to maintain possession higher up the field in a manner like Cabaye did. 

Fraser is the one that doesn’t contribute much in that front three. He works hard which is all I can ask if you don’t bring much else, but that’s where Lingard would have really helped. Manchester United’s demands were absurd though and I do agree with others that even though it’s affordable for our lot it was just taking the fucking piss tbh.

I’m hopeful we have enough to survive. As I said earlier we’ve basically changed the whole defence and got the exact type of CM we were fucking screaming out for, the combination of that really transforms how effectively we can carry out Howes tactics. I think because we’ve not signed another forward it’s hard to see where the goals come from but I think we will see an uptick in chances created going forward. 

I’ve heard Howe wants to stick with Lascelles as “he’s the captain” I personally hope that’s not the case as similarly to Clark he’s painfully error prone, but we have to wait and see on that. 

I was worried earlier in the window but I feel they’ve done well overall, I do feel they got a little caught up on some players and hopefully they’ve learned from that going forward. Not getting another CB is my main concern but they’ve improved 4 of the starting 11 and given us very strong cover/back up for another position, for a tough window to do business in they’ve done well. Really fucking hope we stay up now as the summer will be very interesting if we do. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Didn't realise Targett was Villa's player of the season last year. We've managed to replace 3/4 of our back line so hopefully we see us a bit tighter at the back 

2786EDAF-D3BD-494E-B585-D0ACC59D0EA3.jpeg

Allegedly his link up play with Grealish was unreal. Let’s hope he picks it up with our midfield

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Bruno - 10

Trippier - 9

Burn - 7

Targett - 5

Wood - 5

Staveley and co - 8

what’s everyone else saying? 

Trippier higher than Bruno. I hope Bruno hits the ground running, but I think its expecting a lot . Trippier is a blooded english player who knows the league. 

A 5 for wood is a bit harsh, he'll score some goals for us.

42 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Their decision to let Van De Beek go to Everton was the decider for me. 

23 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

He was noticeably better against Leeds I think. Hopefully this trip away will have allowed him to settle in fully, and Trippier etc have been practicing finding his head in the box and getting to know where he likes the ball played in general. 

FYI Wood has been away with New Zealand on national duty, so unless Trips has been moonlighting!!!

TBH it’s footballing basics, get down the wing, past the defender and cross it onto big Chris’ bonce, GOAL!

I'm quite optimistic about both Burn and Targett, they seem like very down to earth lads who will fit straight in and work well with Howe. It will be very interesting to see who lines up in defense against Everton, particularly who is tasked with marking Calvert-Lewin and who picks up Richarlison.

As much as we'd probably start Schar or Fernandez over Lascelles I can see Lascelles being selected again in his normal right sided centre back position with Burn playing his natural left sided. Once the game starts though Lascelles often plays that almost sweeper role where he falls almost in behind not marking anyone in particular (why he has inflated aerial duel stats IMO because he's winning half contested headers based on his positioning).

They will need some help in marking Richarlison before he gets to the box, that will also be interesting to see if someone is tasked with that or whether it will be based on where Richarlison positions himself. So much to learn in our next game.

Edited by OTF

Half the outfield side replaced in the January window is nothing short of 10/10 imo. Expectations may have escalated on the final day given we were still in for another one or two. But honestly that is a tremendous window.

• Like 1

It’s been a tremendous transfer window and sets us up perfectly for the rest of the season. Yes, it’s disappointing we missed out on Ekitike and Lingard but I reckon we’ve got enough to survive the drop.

We knew trying to sign players in January was always going to be challenging, and let’s just say this about the summer:

1. We’ll be starting from zero. Players will not be looking at coming to a club in a relegation battle.
2. Clubs are more open to selling players during a summer.

What we need now is everyone behind the club for the remainder of the season, no matter what. Whatever you think of Lascelles, Krafth, Ritchie, etc.  - the important thing is we have unity and survive relegation. THEN watch what we go and do in the summer…

• Like 5

Wood seems to be getting a lot of stick based on the square root of fuck all. Not to go all Fish on you but this season Burnley have created about 1 chance a game…what’s a striker supposed to do with that?

He’s not a glamour signing and he may appear dear but I reckon he’ll come good. (And it’s not my money lol)

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wood seems to be getting a lot of stick based on the square root of fuck all. Not to go all Fish on you but this season Burnley have created about 1 chance a game…what’s a striker supposed to do with that?

He’s not a glamour signing and he may appear dear but I reckon he’ll come good. (And it’s not my money lol)

Agree he's getting a bit of a rough deal. If he was called Cristoforo Allardici they'd be much more receptive.

Trippier, Wood, Burn…. Howe has possibly identified set pieces as the way to make up for our shyness in front of goal from open play. Burn doesn’t have much of a goal record but he’ll maybe be used as a decoy runner etc…. Very decent window overall, am eagerly awaiting @The Fish  thoughts for the first time in my 13 years posting on here, was wondering why he was MIA yesterday?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Trippier for me.

Lacelles should not continue...even as the fukin tea lady mate! Decent transfer window that, defence should be a lot better, still think we needed 1 more up top as don;t see Wood as anything more than a back up squad player , scoring  goals will still be an issue but I think we have done enough business to get to 17 th.