The Entirely Unreasonable Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Andrew

8 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

We're overloaded on players that can play left back, and Lewis is the one that doesn't fit. He's shocking anyway.

Targett - first choice... 

Burn/Manquillo.  - Burn can cover there, Manquillo too. Manquillo stays in 25 as he's back up to Trippier too. 

Ritchie/Dummett - Ritchie stays because Howe loves him, Dummett stays as he's better than Lewis and doubt any club would ever touch him through him breaking every 5min.

For what it's worth I'm happy to never see Lewis kick a ball for us again. Embarrassing stuff from Lewis if he's been told he's not in the squad and decides to stay. He's 24, should go out on load and play some games, even in Championship - 6 months of football and playing well it's not beyond imagination he'd come back for pre-season and be given another shot, or at worst get himself a decent club to move. 

He's not young anymore, but at 24 it's far too early in his career to be spending 6months not kicking a ball - especially on the back of 6 games this season, and 18months of playing shite anyway. 

i thought he looked much improved before he picked up his latest injury. i'd send out krafth, hayden and clark ahead of him - probably ritchie too. i don't see how any of those get a kick for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

I think they’re all probably more versatile than Lewis. Doesn’t reflect well on him that he didn’t go on loan and likewise that Howe was willing to let him go. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Think Hayden and Clark are out the 25 anyway, certainly Clark. Happy enough for none of them to kick a ball again for us, but don't really see it makes much difference if its Lewis or Ritchie not included. Neither of them are good enough for PL, and shouldn't be near the starting XI. Howe will like Ritchie and value him being around the group. 

Saw a clip of Hayden on some tinpot Podcast a month or so ago bemoaning the fact of players coming in, and players expected to just up and leave at a moments notice from the club. Can see him exactly the character to sit on his arse and collect every penny he's owed. 

Shit hitting the fan for a lot of players that should have been moved out after our first season back up. There was a tweet going round a week or so ago about when we played Villa in Championship - about 7 of the starters still playing for us, where as not a single Villa player still at the club.

I haven’t completely given up on Lewis yet. There have been glimpses. Ritchie has been a good servant but his time is up. Agree about Clark and Hayden. 

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Wasn't Hayden reluctant to come here on account of having to leave London? Moving yourself and your family is part of the game, one they're handsomely rewarded for.

Wasn't Hayden's kid unwell? Which meant he was less keen to drag them away from the support network they had down south?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xa9as said:

Don't know, never heard that. Was a good signing for us in the Championship, but even when Rafa had him on a tight lease in the PL he was average at best. Had his good games, but never standalone aside from the rest of the side performing well in games. Never look at Isaac Hayden a think he's having a good game above and despite everyone around him being dickheads. Wish we could have kept hold of Mikel Merino.

There are moves out of the club available to all these guys. They have agents, and they cannot have been oblivious all months to the fact that they are not going to be playing or there is potential of them missing out on the 25. Agents should have been talking out on their availability. If they wanted to go abroad, there are surely clubs that will take a player that's played in the PL for 3/4 seasons. 

I find it impossible to believe there aren't deals on wages to be made that can at least get them out on loan. None of them are going to be on huge money, only really Hendrick on £50K but credit to him he's had enough about him to go out and play.

Think Rafa would have moved him on going into 19/20 if he had stayed - ironically of the back of him actually being very good for a few months at end of 18/19 at LWB. That'd been time to move Ritchie on. Never had the pace to play in the PL as a winger.

Bruce gave him a new contract like the fat cretin he was off the back of Ritchie not being the worst, despite it being clear to everyone his time was up. Think it was also Bruce that blocked his move back to Bouremouth last January despite Ritchie happy to cut his deal and it all lined up. 

Lewis looked miles off it since he turned up here for me. Just always seems petrified and is weak as piss. Remember him having a good game, going to say against Burnley? But that stood out to me the first time I'd ever see him not be tossed around like a ragdoll by his winger, and him actually be positive in possession. He's 24 now, don't think there is much more un-tapped potential to be gained from him. Happy to never see him play again, and us to rejuvinate the squad and cull those with the losers mentalities/hearts of fleas. 

We were taken for a ride from Norwich much like the Murphy deal - albeit he's improved a bit, but still not good enough imo. Lewis looked decent in a Norwich side that played attacking stuff. In reality, he wasn't half as good as Max Aarons, and was a mainstay in a Norwich defence that couldn't defend and shipped goals. Ben Godfrey, also a mainstay in that side hasn't set the world alight at Everton, and despite Aarons reputation still hasn't been taken. Cantwell has only just got a move, and that's to the Championship, and has been piss-poor since not getting a move after relegation by all accounts.  

I think with Lewis, as with Murphy, you have to look at who coached them and how the teams were set up.

I don't think Lewis is a midtable/top half left back which is surely what we should now be aiming for. But I don't think he's as bad as some have made out. 

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

On behalf of Team Moist,

golden-shower-bathroom.gif

( the things I had to scroll past to find that, btw :lol:

a quick scroll of your recent internet history? 

@wykikitoon - i take it i can welcome you back to team wet sheets. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ragnick have said that they did not reach any agreement for Lingard with any club. That the player wanted to leave (although at the beginning of the market he did not want to) but that they did not reach agreements with anyone. In addition, with what happened with Greenwood, from the board they had told him that they preferred that he stay.

I think some of it is down to Lingard trying to be a bit too clever keeping his options open. If he’d wanted to come here earlier in the window I think it could’ve been agreed. Possibly without the daft dee Man Utd tried to extract from us as time ran out. He only seemed to commit to want to come here when other options didn’t materialise. Then they’d already released players and you had the Greenwood situation which complicated matters. I’m not having a massive go at him or anything as I can certainly see why he played it that way, but it ultimately helped scupper the deal. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ewerk said:

Wasn't Hayden reluctant to come here on account of having to leave London? Moving yourself and your family is part of the game, one they're handsomely rewarded for.

Isn't Hayden out with a knee injury right now ?

7 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

The arrogance of Spurs is something that never fails to amaze me. And it's endemic, they've been like this as long as I've been following football and no doubt decades before too. 

The media go on about our 'sense of entitlement', it's nothing compared to Spurs. All they've had, or ever had is money - the volumes of which should have funded far more success than it ever has.

• Like 3