The Entirely Unreasonable Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Andrew

Wood was a panic buy, we all know he wasn't worth 25m. But we needed a striker immediately and our owners paid the price to get one in. We'd have been signing Kuqi or Agbonlahor on a free two weeks after deadline day if we'd still had the fat fuck in charge. 

Don't judge him on the price tag as it's irrelevant in this case. Judge him on his performances (fine) and how well the team has performed with him playing (exceptionally.) 

• Like 3

The Villa game was his best yet. Our defenders seemed to play it up to him much more than previous games finally - it was particularly effective playing it long to him from free kicks in our half when he had players around him anticipating the flick on. He still seems a little isolated in open play and could do with a goal for his confidence judging on his finishing so far 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I like him.  I'm desperate for him to score to shut the dickheads up. 

Agreed. Getting a goal will naturally settle the nerves, but the job he does in the air slips under the radar. As for the value, he's worth what anyone is willing to pay for him which was £25m. It wasn't just the addition to our squad, it was the weakening of Burnley's. Shithousery of the highest order, but who cares.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Craig said:

Agreed. Getting a goal will naturally settle the nerves, but the job he does in the air slips under the radar. As for the value, he's worth what anyone is willing to pay for him which was £25m. It wasn't just the addition to our squad, it was the weakening of Burnley's. Shithousery of the highest order, but who cares.

Exactly, something that is missed by the majority of pundits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Also wasn't it Merson (once again opening his drug riddled mouth without thinking first) saying we needed Prem ready players and not Carlos or Botmon and then saying how he thought Weighorst was a great buy.

I have to say, that I like more Weghorst than Wood. 

But at the time of the signing, I also commented that signing Wood meant automatically relegating to Burnley, because even if they later signed the Dutchman... They were losing their reference player, and if another came along, they would have to adapt him and that is not easy. Much less in a situation like yours.

6 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I have to say, that I like more Weghorst than Wood. 

But at the time of the signing, I also commented that signing Wood meant automatically relegating to Burnley, because even if they later signed the Dutchman... They were losing their reference player, and if another came along, they would have to adapt him and that is not easy. Much less in a situation like yours.

Yeh, I was trying to point out the moronic Merson saying we need people with PL experience whilst totally ignoring Weghorst has none.   

9 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Wouldn't have wanted him here even in the Ashley era tbh, certainly not for £25M. Suited Burnley too a tee, and his success has come through that mutual fit with Dyche-ball. At PL level, he's mediocre at best at a few things, but not excellent at anything. Burnley fans weren't sad or cut up about him going, a lot seemed to think his talent was on an ever quickening ebb anyhow - same fans who couldn't give a fuck about losing a regular starter in Hendrick to us on a freebie, and look how that turned out. 

Obviously not his game, but he's total shite at dribbling past a player, or threatening behind. Premier League defenders, even the worst of them or any CB having a bad day are more than happy to go challenge 30 odd arial duels with someone like Chris Wood. Even if he wins 20 out of 30, how many are dropping to the feet of a Newcastle player or into space that can open up an attack? 

His technique is questionable regarding balls played into him, and doesn't have the strength, pace or power that can overcome that. Yes, he's 6ft odd and stronger than our current alternative in Gayle, but he's not so physically imposing to worry any CB that's playing in the league like. Add in the fact he just isn't a goal pig or someone that defenders are going to be worried with their movement in the area. Numerous times Fraser on Sunday crossed, or looked to play a ball, Wood was nowhere near the box or at best wasn't between the width of the goal. 

As with every signing ever, and any player that ever plays for Newcastle - I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, but really disappointed in the signing. Despite our untold riches, £25M is no small fee for us - struggle to think many other clubs fans happy at his signing. Even a side like Brighton who always seem to lack that focal point to attacks, and a side that I'd imagine Howe would want to be evolving to play like - they wouldn't be wanting Wood turning up for £25M. Wouldn't get a game at Leeds, Watford maybe, Everton not ahead of DCL, wouldn't get a game ahead of Toney at Brentford.

Ultimately we're going to have to improve on Wilson in next couple of windows. If we're ever going to be troubling the top end of the table that the investment would merit, we're needing a forward player that's scoring 20+ a season. Wilson I don't think is capable of that due to his fitness, and Wood just hasn't the ability. 

Stefan Mitrovic GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Xa9as said:

Wouldn't have wanted him here even in the Ashley era tbh, certainly not for £25M. Suited Burnley too a tee, and his success has come through that mutual fit with Dyche-ball. At PL level, he's mediocre at best at a few things, but not excellent at anything. Burnley fans weren't sad or cut up about him going, a lot seemed to think his talent was on an ever quickening ebb anyhow - same fans who couldn't give a fuck about losing a regular starter in Hendrick to us on a freebie, and look how that turned out. 

Obviously not his game, but he's total shite at dribbling past a player, or threatening behind. Premier League defenders, even the worst of them or any CB having a bad day are more than happy to go challenge 30 odd arial duels with someone like Chris Wood. Even if he wins 20 out of 30, how many are dropping to the feet of a Newcastle player or into space that can open up an attack? 

His technique is questionable regarding balls played into him, and doesn't have the strength, pace or power that can overcome that. Yes, he's 6ft odd and stronger than our current alternative in Gayle, but he's not so physically imposing to worry any CB that's playing in the league like. Add in the fact he just isn't a goal pig or someone that defenders are going to be worried with their movement in the area. Numerous times Fraser on Sunday crossed, or looked to play a ball, Wood was nowhere near the box or at best wasn't between the width of the goal. 

As with every signing ever, and any player that ever plays for Newcastle - I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, but really disappointed in the signing. Despite our untold riches, £25M is no small fee for us - struggle to think many other clubs fans happy at his signing. Even a side like Brighton who always seem to lack that focal point to attacks, and a side that I'd imagine Howe would want to be evolving to play like - they wouldn't be wanting Wood turning up for £25M. Wouldn't get a game at Leeds, Watford maybe, Everton not ahead of DCL, wouldn't get a game ahead of Toney at Brentford.

Ultimately we're going to have to improve on Wilson in next couple of windows. If we're ever going to be troubling the top end of the table that the investment would merit, we're needing a forward player that's scoring 20+ a season. Wilson I don't think is capable of that due to his fitness, and Wood just hasn't the ability. 

So who should we have signed?  Remember you need to name players who would want to come, whose club would sell, and would be available at that moment for 25m or less. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ewerk said:

Wood is lucky we’ve won three on the bounce or he would be coming in for a lot of shit.

Alternatively:

Wood has performed an important role which has assisted the team in winning three games on the bounce.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

So who should we have signed?  Remember you need to name players who would want to come, whose club would sell, and would be available at that moment for 25m or less. 

You read it all, didn’t you 😂😂😂😉

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Alternatively:

Wood has performed an important role which has assisted the team in winning three games on the bounce.

I'm not sure just how important his contribution has been. I'm not saying he's been dogshit but the fact that we're winning has taken a lot of pressure off him to score.

Chris Wood is good for one thing and that is scoring in and around the six yard box. He's not able to take men on, he's not able to drop deep and link up play. But personally I was never expecting him to do that. He's limited as a footballer but has a knack for scoring close to goal and is pretty decent at that.

He's not a great player but neither is he a bad player. He's simply the best we could sign at short notice with PL experience. I've nothing against him and I'm sure the club aren't planning to have him anywhere near the first XI next season.

12 hours ago, Xa9as said:

Is this what you mean?

65adm5.jpg

• Haha 4

On 15/02/2022 at 13:53, Xa9as said:

Gabriel Barbosa.

Couldn't cut it in Europe at Inter or Benfica, would have been a shocking useless signing to bring in to a club in a relegation battle.

• Like 1

As if Fulham would let Mitro go until they're promoted anyway.

Wood is a good fit for the remainder of the season and offers something that we don't have from any of our other players. As an option next season as well he will be useful. People baulk at the price but that's what was required to get fast business done in the window with a player who's a known entity in the league.

• Like 4

On 15/02/2022 at 02:53, Xa9as said:

Gabriel Barbosa. 

Football Manager nonce  :cuppa:

If we hadnt signed Wood in the week between the Cambridge game and the Watford game we'd have either started ASM or Dwight Gayle up front v Watford. We needed a striker who would hit the ground running v Watford.  In these circumstances, the signing was logical if not inspired. It was a "needs must" signing. If you think we were going to have a perfect transfer window with our novice owners and no DoF then am not sure I can help you. You've picked out Wood as a player of limited ability? Well done you, the rest of us weren't under any misapprehension about him either but you're the only silly fucker still wanging on about him a month later after we've won 3 and drawn 1 with him in the side...

• Like 5