The Entirely Unreasonable Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Andrew

Without a doubt Gabriel Barbosa is a bet that for the future could have turned out well, but no certainty. Less for a team that needs immediate performance like ours, after having failed at Inter and Benfica.

I am not a big fan of Wood either, but you have to admit that he is playing well, doing what is asked of him and the team is winning 3 in a row. I think we all counted on the guy not going to score a goal in every game, but the most important thing is that he left Burnley without their reference above (which automatically put them out of the fight for permanence) and has boosted ancillary players like Fraser and Saint Maximin a lot (Is it a coincidence that they are both having their best games in these last 3-4 games?) because they are much freer. Not to mention the team's offensive game, because he has to have someone always fixing him from a set piece and that the other day, for example, earned us the Lascelles goal against Everton.

Personally, I can't think of many more options of players who want to come to the team at that moment, for 25 million, and who can add from the first moment. Weghorst himself might have been one, but the last dutch man we have in the front was Luuk De Jong........ Perhaps another Piatek (before going to Fiorentina). Also Arthur, the player who is supposed to start for Vlahovic in Fiorentina (but he comes from a minor league like Benfica and who knows if it will not be a new Afonso Alves from Boro).

What I would have done, if it had been known from the first day that Wilson's injury was so bad (something I suppose they did know) was try to bring in a player on loan from the MLS, Japan or the Chinese League, who can help until March 1, when their championship starts. Someone to help Wood upstairs in case something happens to him, like Josef Martinez (Almirón's best partner ever), Leandro Damiao, Valentín Castellanos or Joveljic. Or even if you are looking a striker diferent with more movements, Carlos Vela. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

If Fulham had let Mitrovic come here, which is a massive ‘if’, you’d have been looking at £50m or so, given the circumstances. No thanks 

That move could have been made with a view to the future. I explain. If we manage to stay this year, it is evident that a new project will begin in June. A project in which, really, Wood should not have a place. In fact, the ideal would be to sign a better striker than Wilson for a good pasture and not let Wilson have 100% of the team's offensive impact, because he has been missing many games due to injury for several years.

I think that Mitrovic could have an impact on this team for the future when we take the next step and we are to go above the Top 10. Wood No.

For what you have spent 25 million on Wood and not on Mitrovic, but surely in a couple of years you will have to sell Wood (without recovering almost anything from the investment) and sign another striker for another 30 million. And there you have Mitrovic's 50. XD.

But come on, I don't think Fulham would have let Mitro go.

I don’t rate him at this level anyway. He might prove me wrong but he’s had quite a few chances and not done much at PL level. Much better options out there come the summer if we stay up. 

• Like 1

I think Diego's right that Fulham would have demanded £50m for Mitrovic, but if we're even discussing a £50m striker signing, we shouldn't have Mitrovic on the board.

Nunez, Schick, etc.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think Diego's right that Fulham would have demanded £50m for Mitrovic, but if we're even discussing a £50m striker signing, we shouldn't have Mitrovic on the board.

Nunez, Schick, etc.

Agree too

• Like 2

new contracts for schar and shelvey apparently in the offing. two players who clearly raised their game since howe came in, but are they players to take us to the next level? 

I’m glad Schar is getting a deal, he’s looked reborn under Howe. Shelvey, I can take or leave but if it’s a year extension to his current deal, that’s about right, I’d say. If this is how his performance levels are going to maintain, he’s worthy of a spot in the squad. Even if Bruno and whoever comes next eventually usurps him 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Schar is understandable as he's out of contract in the summer but Shelvey has another season to run. I wouldn't be in a rush to get him signed up.

This I'd agree with. I'd want to see far more prolonged consistency out of of Shelvey before we start offering him another contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The cynic in me suspects this might also be part of the reason Shelvey has improved... maybe they thought it was worth it to get performances out of him to keep us up.

he's got form for that tbf. 

as long as it's a short-term deal (one year extension or thereabouts) with no guarantee of first-choice football then i don't mind him stopping for a bit. decent enough squad player but he's not the future, is he?

• Like 1

Definitely happy about Schar getting a new contract as he's looked decent since Howe's come in and even quite assured in the last two games with Burn beside him.

Shelvey not as much but I think this new regime is an opportunity for "anustart" for everyone so meh I hope he continues to impress because he has played very well in recent weeks.

These are both players who could serve as solid squad players in the next few years so why not.

13 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Definitely happy about Schar getting a new contract as he's looked decent since Howe's come in and even quite assured in the last two games with Burn beside him.

Shelvey not as much but I think this new regime is an opportunity for "anustart" for everyone so meh I hope he continues to impress because he has played very well in recent weeks.

These are both players who could serve as solid squad players in the next few years so why not.

I know a few anus tarts

• Haha 4

Its just a rumour, but last days in Spain some media have said Newcastle are in talks with Newcastle people. 

I do not know what to think. On the one hand, I find it hard to believe, because Oblak has always been very critical of the situation of the Atleti board of not strengthening the team by signing great players because he wants to win titles immediately (and he would not have that in Newcastle).

But on the other hand, it seems clear to me that Oblak wants to leave Atleti and that there are really no teams that give him the chance to win titles where he has a place because they all already have a 'good goalkeeper'.

By the way, this year Oblak is at a horrible level.

30 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Its just a rumour, but last days in Spain some media have said Newcastle are in talks with Newcastle people. 

I do not know what to think. On the one hand, I find it hard to believe, because Oblak has always been very critical of the situation of the Atleti board of not strengthening the team by signing great players because he wants to win titles immediately (and he would not have that in Newcastle).

But on the other hand, it seems clear to me that Oblak wants to leave Atleti and that there are really no teams that give him the chance to win titles where he has a place because they all already have a 'good goalkeeper'.

By the way, this year Oblak is at a horrible level.

Newcastle are in talks with their own people?

• Haha 1