The Entirely Unreasonable Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Andrew

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Wood seems to be getting a lot of stick based on the square root of fuck all. Not to go all Fish on you but this season Burnley have created about 1 chance a game…what’s a striker supposed to do with that?

He’s not a glamour signing and he may appear dear but I reckon he’ll come good. (And it’s not my money lol)

i think he will score goals if the team is set up to play to his strengths. Unfortunately I don’t think playing as a lone striker for a manager who likes his forward players to press suits his style. I would have given him more than 5 if he’d been signed as a striker to bring off the bench.

He needs midfield runners closer to him. Hopefully Bruno’s athleticism will help there. I think we’d get the most of of him if he had a strike partner playing off him, which is why it’s disappointing not to add another forward in this window. He also need early balls into the box so hopefully that something Howe can drill into ASM. He needs to stop fannying around on the ball every time and hit the big man.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Trippier, Wood, Burn…. Howe has possibly identified set pieces as the way to make up for our shyness in front of goal from open play. Burn doesn’t have much of a goal record but he’ll maybe be used as a decoy runner etc…. Very decent window overall, am eagerly awaiting @The Fish  thoughts for the first time in my 13 years posting on here, was wondering why he was MIA yesterday?

He was at the training ground providing our version of Wee Phillie. 

• Haha 2

The only way Lascelles loses his place is if he gets injured.  Howe wants to keep dressing room harmony and changing a captain part way through a season will not help that.  So fingers crossed someone does his ACL for him.

49 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Trippier, Wood, Burn…. Howe has possibly identified set pieces as the way to make up for our shyness in front of goal from open play. Burn doesn’t have much of a goal record but he’ll maybe be used as a decoy runner etc…. Very decent window overall, am eagerly awaiting @The Fish  thoughts for the first time in my 13 years posting on here, was wondering why he was MIA yesterday?

Recording a 'bumper' transfer edition of Newcastle Natter. (After watching half an hour of SSN's transfer deadline show yesterday for the first time in years he couldn't do a much worse version!)

• Haha 3

If I compare the window to a match, yesterday morning felt as though we were 3-1 up at home to Man City. By the the time we announced we were done, it felt like 3-3

Its fantastic to have an ambitious club again but the lack of a striker soured it for me.

We’ve created enough chances to win games this season and constantly don’t. It’s all well and good improving the defence, but any team can still get a goal in a game.

Also leaves us one injury away from no striker.

I don’t like feeling a sour puss but even a good nights kip hasn’t improved me. 

Still bed wetting here :( 

• Like 1

Having watched Bruno's YouTube reel (I know) I think there may be an occasional role - if he's named in the 25 - for Gayle - just until Wilson's back. He's the only player we have apart from Wilson I'd vaguely trust with a one on one resulting from a through ball expert. 

24 minutes ago, NJS said:

Having watched Bruno's YouTube reel (I know) I think there may be an occasional role - if he's named in the 25 - for Gayle - just until Wilson's back. He's the only player we have apart from Wilson I'd vaguely trust with a one on one resulting from a through ball expert. 

That's a good point actually, ASM will make runs, and I guess Fraser will also, but you need someone central who can challenge the defensive line of the other team. Perhaps a chance for Miggy to come in and play centrally behind Wood? It's nice to have options, though it would have been nicer if we'd also purchased a more dynamic forward as well as Wood.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

269846788_Screenshot_20220201-085433_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.f57ee701f80cc586fc7077b64c39d7bf.jpg

That was the plan going into the window apparently. 

That’s interesting. We obviously missed out on a few of our first choice targets but it’ll  interesting to see if that points to a change in system with Bruno playing alongside Shelvey in a two. Makes sense if Howe’s idea going forwards is to get a central attacker playing closer to Wood. Just a shame that player will likely be Almiron or Joelinton instead of Lingard. 

“Once they paid that for Wood, they fucked their negotiating stance,” says an agent. An executive at a European club Newcastle dealt with, meanwhile, says: “When they paid that for Chris Wood, we knew they had more money than they said they did. We weren’t going to let them take the piss out of us.”

From a long article about NUFC's window on the article. Sounds like stumping up for Wood made other clubs think they weren't getting enough. Might have contributed to the failures to get Botman/Carlos, although I can't remember whether we'd already walked away from Botman by then. 

wood was the only real panic buy, which it had to be given the situation going into the watford game. it doesn't really feel like we overpaid for the rest, though that will hinge on whether bruno lives up to this reputation. 

Tbh as long as we unsettle the players the clubs will cave in eventually. 

In January this is obviously harder to do. In the summer window we can take the piss if we stay up.

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

“Once they paid that for Wood, they fucked their negotiating stance,” says an agent. An executive at a European club Newcastle dealt with, meanwhile, says: “When they paid that for Chris Wood, we knew they had more money than they said they did. We weren’t going to let them take the piss out of us.”

From a long article about NUFC's window on the article. Sounds like stumping up for Wood made other clubs think they weren't getting enough. Might have contributed to the failures to get Botman/Carlos, although I can't remember whether we'd already walked away from Botman by then. 

That may have been the case this window, but I think in the summer we'll not have the same stink of an American holidaymaker about us. We'll obviously have to pay a Newcastle tax, but away from the Wood purchase, I don't think we've spent above and beyond on any of our January buys. 

Burn for £15m, Targett on loan, Trippier for £15m, and one of the most highly rated young midfielders on the planet for £30m? That's not largesse, that's measured.