The Entirely Unreasonable Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Andrew

Just now, The Fish said:

That may have been the case this window, but I think in the summer we'll not have the same stink of an American holidaymaker about us. We'll obviously have to pay a Newcastle tax, but away from the Wood purchase, I don't think we've spent above and beyond on any of our January buys. 

Burn for £15m, Targett on loan, Trippier for £15m, and one of the most highly rated young midfielders on the planet for £30m? That's not largesse, that's measured.

Nah I agree, I think they've done well to not have the piss taken out of them, but it sounds like Lille and Seville kept suggesting they were happy then kept upping the price, and maybe the Wood thing played a part in that. 

They resisted though - even on the final day they probably could have got Lingard if they'd offered the idiot money Man United wanted, but they weren't prepared to have their kegs removed. 

Just now, Xa9as said:

Chris Wood is never worth £25M like, so would agree with whatever was said there. We have massively over paid in my eyes. 

Fine have him in, but I'd rate him at most a £15M player. Wrongside in terms of age range, limited skillset, can only play one position and one role, far from prolific in goalscoring.

£15M would have seemed the market rate for him, and that has been proven with Burnley paying that sort of fee for Weghorst. 

Monchi at Sevilla is never letting Carlos go for £40M when he sees us paying £25M for bloody Chris Wood.

We've definitely overpaid. I think Wood would admit that himself. He did actually say that there was an assumption no one would ever trigger the clause.

But it was a weird set of circumstances, there was a slight panic, and they went for it. 

If he scores the goals that keep us up, it'll all be immaterial. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohhh_yeah said:

1409414688305-wps-42-NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE

Is this one of those where is the ball things? If so it's a trick and it was floated back across the box harmlessly out of frame.

19 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Chris Wood is never worth £25M like, so would agree with whatever was said there. We have massively over paid in my eyes.  

Fine have him in, but I'd rate him at most a £15M player. Don't mind him here for that sort of fee for 18months or so being second/third choice. Wrongside in terms of age range, limited skillset, can only play one position and one role, far from prolific in goalscoring.

£15M would have seemed the market rate for him, and that has been proven with Burnley paying that sort of fee for Weghorst. 

Monchi at Sevilla is never letting Carlos go for £40M when he sees us paying £25M for bloody Chris Wood.

Thing is we haven't overestimated his worth to the tune of £25m. We've seen a striker, who is available from a relegation rival, at a price we can afford, with a clause that the move would be expedited. 

If your house is on fire, and someone is selling a hose for £100 and you can afford it, you buy the fucking hose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

1365233727_Screenshot_20220201-084830_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.72d479f50b2e99220b9fc5b1844aa8c1.jpg

Canny. 

Weird that because this season we’ve ruined football but for the 14 years before nobody was arsed? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

“Once they paid that for Wood, they fucked their negotiating stance,” says an agent. An executive at a European club Newcastle dealt with, meanwhile, says: “When they paid that for Chris Wood, we knew they had more money than they said they did. We weren’t going to let them take the piss out of us.”

From a long article about NUFC's window on the article. Sounds like stumping up for Wood made other clubs think they weren't getting enough. Might have contributed to the failures to get Botman/Carlos, although I can't remember whether we'd already walked away from Botman by then. 

We're not going to let you take the piss - what kind of amateur operator says that? You sell a player if the price that is offered is acceptable to you, regardless of how much money the buying club has. To not do that is to cut off your nose to spite your face. Of course that's not an actual quote from someone in a decision making position, rather someone low enough down the pole to talk to a journalist and try to big note themselves.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

DOF and CEO to come within the next month you would think. Which is also pretty exciting for a club that's had fuck all structure for years. 

It won't happen until the question of relegation has a firm answer.

Just now, OTF said:

We're not going to let you take the piss - what kind of amateur operator says that? You sell a player if the price that is offered is acceptable to you, regardless of how much money the buying club has. To not do that is to cut off your nose to spite your face. Of course that's not an actual quote from someone in a decision making position, rather someone low enough down the pole to talk to a journalist and try to big note themselves.

Aye - and given that we seemingly walked away from a lot of those deals, the reality is that clubs like Man Utd have actually shot themselves in the foot. They could have had £5 or 6m for a player who they won't use and will lose on a free at the end of the season. And now? They're paying the wages of a player they won't use and will lose on a free, possibly to us, at the end of the season.

If we stay up, they're the fools in that picture.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Xa9as said:

Aye, if he even bundles one in off his cock on last day at Burn-leh to keep us up the £25M will be worth it. 

Hope I'm proven wrong, but I've never rated him playing at Burnley and far from enamoured to see him playing for us. Will wish him the best, and he can hardly do any worse than he did against Watford/Leeds. 

Howe seems to fancy playing with a big lump with no pace up front anyway - had Yann Kermogant in season Bournemouth went up, brought Glen Murray from Palace first season up, Afobe too... 

Easy to say, but you'd think £25M could have been better spent for a forward; Immobile/Lazio, would that sort of money get Morelos from Rangers or Mitro from Fulham. Blackburn would have had to sell on Ben Brereton for far less, Origi from Liverpool?

I’m not having Wood being called immobile compared to fucking Mitrovic :lol: the kid plays like he’s got a fridge on his back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

5ft 4. That is fucking insane that he's made it as a top division footballer. 

Tbh I know one lad who’s a similar height and growing up he was miles ahead of most players, often the best on the pitch but aye - the top flight is a different story. 

Even the brilliant short players tend to be 5ft 7 at the shortest 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xa9as said:

Aye, if he even bundles one in off his cock on last day at Burn-leh to keep us up the £25M will be worth it. 

Hope I'm proven wrong, but I've never rated him playing at Burnley and far from enamoured to see him playing for us. Will wish him the best, and he can hardly do any worse than he did against Watford/Leeds. 

Howe seems to fancy playing with a big lump with no pace up front anyway - had Yann Kermogant in season Bournemouth went up, brought Glen Murray from Palace first season up, Afobe too... 

Easy to say, but you'd think £25M could have been better spent for a forward; Immobile/Lazio, would that sort of money get Morelos from Rangers or Mitro from Fulham. Blackburn would have had to sell on Ben Brereton for far less, Origi from Liverpool?

We've had to pay a premium because of the convenience of the deal to get him in for Watford and Leeds games. Wood wasn't arsed leaving Burnley for a relegation battle, because he's already in one and we're just as shit anyway, and Burnley couldn't negotiate because of the clause.

Morelos from Rangers? No ta, he's got a similar goal return to Wood, but is playing in a farmers League.

Mitro is a Psychopath AND would have cost north of £30m given he's leading a title push

Brereton Diaz was quoted around the £28m mark, so add the Newcastle tax, you're talking £38m for a fucking meme. What Mickey Mouse club would spend 4x the worth of a player because he's got an amusing story, or a catchy song?

Wood is a bang average Premier League striker who won't even be first choice when Wilson returns to fitness. But if he helps us get to safety, he's worth the £25m pocket change we just fished out the sofa.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2