30 years ago today

Craig

I'm in that 10 years older group and I think you're right - that probably was the sweet spot. Another 10 years would have included the 70s Wembley visits but I think it was easier to get around the country a little later. 

Apart from the Pardew 5th blip I can't believe we've been shit for a good fifteen years. 

• Like 2

Agree with everything that everyone has said, what a man.

He is hands down the best thing to have happened to Newcastle in my entire time supporting the club.

Had the privilege of meeting him once, he was such a lovely bloke and was so generous with his time. He seemed totally unaffected by fame, a genuine man of the people.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

No other NUFC fan age group other than maybe those ten years older could've picked a better time to support us in my opinion. Ten years older would've been still young lads on the piss when Beardsley, Waddle, Terry Mac and KK were ripping it up and I'm a bit jealous of them but we still got the phenomenal football of KK, the transformation of shit to sublime, the terraces and of course the days/nights on the piss in our youth in the 90s in a buzzing town. Even NUFC fans who saw us win stuff would've lived in more austere times away from SJP. I feel sorry for the young'uns who missed out. My favourite time of supporting us without any shadow of a doubt was 92-93 promotion season and the 93-94 finishing 3rd in the shiny new PL. Talking to other fans and them saying we'd be ok to stay up and laughing in their faces before we went on to beat them was a fond memory, (Villa fans standing out for this). :lol:

I think that's the core group of this forum and IMO that's why we get 'it' and get each other.  I am not a full blown mag like you guys.  I am from Leeds born into it.   But thankfully my uncles and cousins got me into it.  I grew up on a council estate in Leeds and I am not ashamed one bit about that.  I am proud of my roots.  I am proud I my mam is from the NE and have a great family up there.  I am proud my dad is Irish and have roots there.  But even better my uncle said lets go to SJP before bellend Rd :lol:  Them times at school growing up telling them about a Mackem called Bracewell signing for us and them not understanding was ace.  I had my own clique.  It was mega.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

His autobiography is one of the best I have read.  Such a great glow reading it.

I got it at Christmas 2019 and still haven't read it. I think I've been subconsciously putting it off during the pandemic because it'd have been too depressing reading about happy days during the doom and gloom of the Covid end times. :lol: Might finally be time to rectify that...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I got it at Christmas 2019 and still haven't read it. I think I've been subconsciously putting it off during the pandemic because it'd have been too depressing reading about happy days during the doom and gloom of the Covid end times. :lol: Might finally be time to rectify that...

It would have been uplifting reading it then IMO. I did a ride out with my mate through Armthorpe then Scunny etc last year and feeling so connected to him. Legend 

• Like 1

by virtue of being an old cunt I can recall, although faintly, wynn davies, pop robson, tony green. these were players I think I remember more so because they were  me old man's heroes and although I'd  been getting towed along to matches from the late '60s I don't really think I 'got it' till I'd started senior school and was getting the bus in to town with me mates and standing on the leazes end. this coincided with the signing of malcolm macdonald. I idolised the bloke, I fucking loved the songs about him, I loved watching him, I loved bouncing about the terrace in me size 6 dr martens when he scored a goal

was devastating when he was sold to arsenal.

so later in the 80s I was lucky to watch waddle, beardsley, gascoigne and later still andy cole, les ferdinand and be present to see the vast, vast majority of shearer's goals hit the back of the net,. but there's not one of them can live with keegan in my eyes.

he got this this club, the city and the supporters in a way that even the local lads above don't in my opinion.

keegan is a fucking newcastle legend and I don't expect him ever to be beaten so as the greatest in my lifetime.

love the bloke.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Totally forgot I’ve got a (signed, no less) copy of his autobiography from that talk he did at the Sage. I’ve just read The Autobiography of My Mother by Jamaica Kincaid, which is comfortably one of the most depressing things I’ve ever managed to finish so it should make a canny antidote to that 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

by virtue of being an old cunt I can recall, although faintly, wynn davies, pop robson, tony green. these were players I think I remember more so because they were  me old man's heroes and although I'd  been getting towed along to matches from the late '60s I don't really think I 'got it' till I'd started senior school and was getting the bus in to town with me mates and standing on the leazes end. this coincided with the signing of malcolm macdonald. I idolised the bloke, I fucking loved the songs about him, I loved watching him, I loved bouncing about the terrace in me size 6 dr martens when he scored a goal

was devastating when he was sold to arsenal.

so later in the 80s I was lucky to watch waddle, beardsley, gascoigne and later still andy cole, les ferdinand and be present to see the vast, vast majority of shearer's goals hit the back of the net,. but there's not one of them can live with keegan in my eyes.

he got this this club, the city and the supporters in a way that even the local lads above don't in my opinion.

keegan is a fucking newcastle legend and I don't expect him ever to be beaten so as the greatest in my lifetime.

love the bloke.

That's my experience exactly, and my viewpoint and feelings to the letter

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

That's my experience exactly, and my viewpoint and feelings to the letter

at the risk of getting all maudlin here, saint james' park is and always will be (despite the efforts of the fat cunt who owned us and who knows even our new owners in the future) precisely that.

likewise the leazes and the gallowgate will never be anything else. for us, we saw the old stand become the west stand and then the milburn and that's all good. similarly, the popular side became the new stand and later just simply the east stand. I would be delighted if it became the keegan stand me, it's the least the bloke deserves for dragging this club from the brink of the third division to playing quite comfortably the most exciting football I've ever seen within a few years.

he was the catalyst for transforming the ground, world record signings and I don't doubt for a second the foundations he laid in the '90s are the reason we could be about to start a new prosperous future.

fuck knows where we'd be now if he hadn't of rocked up again 30 years ago.

:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

This?

I have searched but I found more than one. 

9781509877232.jpg.0703897cdeed72b214f05384fd76050d.jpg

Yeah, that’s the one but I think that’s the paperback cover. 

2 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

at the risk of getting all maudlin here, saint james' park is and always will be (despite the efforts of the fat cunt who owned us and who knows even our new owners in the future) precisely that.

likewise the leazes and the gallowgate will never be anything else. for us, we saw the old stand become the west stand and then the milburn and that's all good. similarly, the popular side became the new stand and later just simply the east stand. I would be delighted if it became the keegan stand me, it's the least the bloke deserves for dragging this club from the brink of the third division to playing quite comfortably the most exciting football I've ever seen within a few years.

he was the catalyst for transforming the ground, world record signings and I don't doubt for a second the foundations he laid in the '90s are the reason we could be about to start a new prosperous future.

NUFC submitted plans for a 55k seater stadium on the Town Moor in 1995….we were struggling to get 20k 3 years earlier. He just instinctively knew the potential of the club. You’re absolutely spot on, without him knowing & recognising our potential then acting on it in the most decisive way imaginable  we wouldn’t have been anywhere near the club capable of attracting the richest people on earth (poison chalice though it is) Man City were attractive via osmosis from those arseholes in Salford; not that they’d admit it, Chelsea was just location location location…..Keegan landed us the prize, such as it is, 30 years ago….

• Like 7

16 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

Seconded. I detest the 'NEWCASTLE UNITED' sign on the leading edge of that stand as we all know it's in the Sports Direct typecase. Take it down and replace it with a more subtle 'The Keegan Stand' with a couple of club crests either side of it. Truly fitting.

• Like 1

Absolute all time legend who should be involved in the club now ,I remember going to a fans  Q&A night at Howdon social club couple of months after he signed as player absolutely brilliant night and he must have signed an autograph for every person after it finished.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJS said:

Smoggie twat wasn't he? - never failed to get pathetic attempted digs in at us during that ten minutes that Boro were doing better. 

Can’t remember Paul Frost being a smoggie but I do recall Pam Royle having the sort of mullet that wouldn’t have looked out of place on a mid 80s West German footballer 

Edited by Alex

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Can’t remember Paul Frost being a smoggie but I do recall Pam Royle having the sort of mullet that wouldn’t have looked out of place on a mid 80s West German footballer 

He was definitely a smoggie. 

• Like 1