The F1 2022, MotoGP and Other Sports That Go Vroom-Vroom Thread

Craig

Well we haven't had one of these for a good 11 years it seems so why the hell not. I know it's not everyone's bag but some of us enjoy it. 

Looking forward to this season - massive unknown thanks to the rule changes but I'm hopeful the young Brits Norris and Russell to take to the stage. 

Less said about the tail end of 2021, the better. Utterly farcical and something needs to change.

Who said I 'didn't mind Allardyce' :lol: Pack in with trying to change the narrative. I said he wasn't as bad as McClaren and Bruce - and I stand by that. 

As for F1, yep I do. And I don't believe I'm the only one on here. 

Fell out of love with F1 for a good few years, but we got back into it via the truncated 2020 season (and not only because there was bugger all else to watch at the time... though partially that), then obviously last year was properly entertaining - dodgy finale included. Unlike a few years back, the various rule tweaks aimed at making things more exciting on track feel like they're also a bit less arbitrary now, which helps as that's definitely one of the reasons I got bored of it - that and single-driver dominance, I suppose. It's still not the same as in the days when engines and other parts would randomly blow up for no good reason (reliability is boring!) and the main drivers were interestingly flawed, but I'm generally on board with it.

I used to have no time for Hamilton, but I've grown to like him as he's got older and grown up, partly thanks to his activism winding up the kind of people who deserve to be wound up. And on the other side of the coin, the Verstappens make for a fine pair of villains. And Drive To Survive on Netflix - despite having a diabolically bad title :lol: - has been useful for fleshing out the personalities of the ameobas who make up half the pack these days.

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Wtf is going on here. 

Yeah we fucking know you hate it (apart from the Senna film). Move along ginge ... nothing to see here B)

28 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Fell out of love with F1 for a good few years, but we got back into it via the truncated 2020 season (and not only because there was bugger all else to watch at the time... though partially that), then obviously last year was properly entertaining - dodgy finale included. Unlike a few years back, the various rule tweaks aimed at making things more exciting on track feel like they're also a bit less arbitrary now, which helps as that's definitely one of the reasons I got bored of it - that and single-driver dominance, I suppose. It's still not the same as in the days when engines and other parts would randomly blow up for no good reason (reliability is boring!) and the main drivers were interestingly flawed, but I'm generally on board with it.

I used to have no time for Hamilton, but I've grown to like him as he's got older and grown up, partly thanks to his activism winding up the kind of people who deserve to be wound up. And on the other side of the coin, the Verstappens make for a fine pair of villains. And Drive To Survive on Netflix - despite having a diabolically bad title :lol: - has been useful for fleshing out the personalities of the ameobas who make up half the pack these days.

I love Drive to Survive. Actually shows their human and humorous side. Steiner is fucking hilarious "he broke my fucking door! I'm going to fucking sack his arse!"

I'm in for any F1 MotoGP or indeed cycling talk.

Hoping for Verstappen to get put firmly in his place this season, him being gifted the championship was an utterly disgrace, and his overtake or crash behaviour is shocking

In MotoGP going to be lost without the Doctor, hope Marquez doesn't win every race and will be pulling for Jack Millar

In cycling  I'm desperate for the Manx Missile to race the Tour

@TomCan we please change the title of this to: If it has wheel and you can race it, I’m in! 2022 edition.

48 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

In MotoGP going to be lost without the Doctor, hope Marquez doesn't win every race and will be pulling for Jack Millar

I hope Jack does well but unfortunately I think he is destined to be a number 2 rider his whole career. Good enough to win the odd race or finish consistantly in the top 5 but like Shelvey he doesn’t have the right head on his shoulders for the talent he has.

I think MM is on the way down, watch that bite me on the arse, as it looks like the fear has started to take hold and his luck has run out. He will be great as always on anti clockwise tracks but that right shoulder still allegedly has problems and who knows if Honda have finally made a bike that anyone but 2018 MM can ride?!??

I’m looking forward to seeing how Remy Gardener does on a large bike. He’s got so much talent, more than his dad and unlike his dad he isn’t distracted by where he can put his cock. Hopefully he has a great year on the KTM and a more competitive team comes in for him for 2023.

Hoping for Sam Lowes to finally have a big season and win Moto2. Last year he started really well but then got swamped by Remy and R Fernandes. Not sure if the compeition will be as strong this year.

Also hoping for a good season of SpeedwayGP as the last couple have been fucked with the plague. Having most of the races in Poland just gives the local lads to much of an advantage.

• Meenzer changed the title to The F1 2022, MotoGP and Other Sports That Go Vroom-Vroom Thread
23 minutes ago, sammynb said:

@TomCan we please change the title of this to: If it has wheel and you can race it, I’m in! 2022 edition.

I hope Jack does well but unfortunately I think he is destined to be a number 2 rider his whole career. Good enough to win the odd race or finish consistantly in the top 5 but like Shelvey he doesn’t have the right head on his shoulders for the talent he has.

I think MM is on the way down, watch that bite me on the arse, as it looks like the fear has started to 

Hoping for Sam Lowes to finally have a big season and win Moto2. Last year he started really well but then got swamped by Remy and R Fernandes. Not sure if the compeition will be as strong this year.

Yeah I would love Sam to do well, he had it won the year before until he broke his wrist.

I've got to be honest Moto3 is my favourite watch. Those kids are nuts

2 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

've got to be honest Moto3 is my favourite watch. Those kids are nuts

Youth, no responsibility, no fear and they all think they going to live forever!

It’s great to watch but I struggle to watch them on turn one of the first lap as it’s like a blood sport.

10 hours ago, Alex said:

My contribution: 

50B5F345-45D4-43FF-95AD-90D54D620E6F.jpeg

My dad knew Jim Clark when they were teenagers in Berwickshire & I knew Steve Hislop when I was a teenager... think the moral here is if you drive cars, bikes or aircraft  very very quickly then it's best to avoid our family :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Mazepin is going to go the same way as Aralkali sponsorship and the Russian GP

Brave and courageous move from Haas given Mazepin Snr's money is their only real revenue stream. Well done.

image.png.d3ad532549e763f5e982642d2ab7571e.png

2 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Urgh. Yamaha looking horribly off the pace in the MotoGP.  Hope I'm wrong because there is no engine development this season

What do you mean no engine development? I'm under the impression that this season they were allowed to again develop their engines after the 20/21 freeze. Hence why Bagnia is talking about using the 2021 engine as he's not liking the new 22 engine.

The problem is that Yamaha don't see it as a priority and they feel it has more than enough power and more would be detrimental to the rideability of the bike, so they will always suffer at tracks like Qatar where brut power helps (or have I misread your statement and you've just said what I've said?).

The Suzuki is looking more competitive, hard to tell with the KTM as they are going to be fucked with night qualifying and not being able to use their preferred harder front tyre. Aprilia is always going to have problems with one great rider Alesh and one sometimes talented but damaged individual.

Ducati for all their progress at the end of last season look like they may have scored an own goal with the new bike and Honda, well Honda are just such an unknown.

I've just agonised for the last hour over who to have in my fantasy team, first there practice sessions of the year have done nothing but confuse the fuck out of me.

Edited by sammynb

On 25/02/2022 at 14:02, Craig said:

Looks like Mazepin is going to go the same way as Aralkali sponsorship and the Russian GP

Brave and courageous move from Haas given Mazepin Snr's money is their only real revenue stream. Well done.

image.png.d3ad532549e763f5e982642d2ab7571e.png

step forward, Rich Energy 

55 minutes ago, sammynb said:

What do you mean no engine development? I'm under the impression that this season they were allowed to again develop their engines after the 20/21 freeze. Hence why Bagnia is talking about using the 2021 engine as he's not liking the new 22 engine.

The problem is that Yamaha don't see it as a priority and they feel it has more than enough power and more would be detrimental to the rideability of the bike, so they will always suffer at tracks like Qatar where brut power helps (or have I misread your statement and you've just said what I've said?).

The Suzuki is looking more competitive, hard to tell with the KTM as they are going to be fucked with night qualifying and not being able to use their preferred harder front tyre. Aprilia is always going to have problems with one great rider Alesh and one sometimes talented but damaged individual.

Ducati for all their progress at the end of last season look like they may have scored an own goal with the new bike and Honda, well Honda are just such an unknown.

I've just agonised for the last hour over who to have in my fantasy team, first there practice sessions of the year have done nothing but confuse the fuck out of me.

This article seems to be saying the engines are sealed for the season. Hope I'm wrong

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/yamaha-shares-quartararos-motogp-engine-frustration/7956333/

As per MotoGP's technical regulations, all manufacturers not running with concessions will have their engines homologated by the FIM and sealed for the first round of the season.

As a result, engine development will be frozen for the entirety of the campaign.

With MotoGP's final pre-season test taking place this weekend, Yamaha would only be able to bring an updated engine to Qatar prior to its homologation, and Quartararo has ruled out running anything

he hasn't been able to test.

Edited by spongebob toonpants

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

step forward, Rich Energy 

I don't think even Haas are that stupid to go back there! :lol:

On 22/02/2022 at 21:45, spongebob toonpants said:

Early season but Cav looking good yesterday

@wykikitoon what do ypu reckon his chances of getting the nod for the Tour

Sorry only just seen this. Jakobson is racing paris nice this week so we shall see. Steppers looking a bit meh so far this spring. imo take him. Hes a sponsors wet dream.