Eddie Howe

Tom

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Exactly. Because of the nature of contemporary football, Howe cannot be as influential on the club, the city as Keegan was. That's not a criticism of Howe. 

As an aside, neither am I convinced Howe has the ability to deliver the kind of actual success to be as transformative as Keegan was, in purely footballing terms.

will be interesting next season, assuming we stay up.

moyes has been pretty transformative at west ham in a 2 year period and in an era where we're told such things shouldn't be feasible and without the funds howe could have at his disposal.

only takes a couple of players to transform a team, as robson proved with bellamy and robert. 

i see a title challenge next year.  ;)

Just now, thebrokendoll said:

moyes has been pretty transformative at west ham in a 2 year period and in an era where we're told such things shouldn't be feasible and without the funds howe could have at his disposal.

only takes a couple of players to transform a team, as robson proved with bellamy and robert. 

As did Keegan with Venison, Beresford & Bracewell in 92. The transformation was massive, and immediate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's your second point I have issue with. I believe he does have the potential. Whether that potential is realised remains to be seen.

I think he's a far better team manager than most people give him credit for. I emphasise the point team manager. Keegan to me was a club manager, as too were the likes of Bobby Robson and, looking beyond NUFC, Graham Taylor also. Football is totally different to the days when they were at their prime though. The structure at the club will have Dan Ashworth overseeing all footballing matters with Howe being entirely focused on the men's first team. That won't lessen the impact of what Howe will be able to deliver, it just allows him to do so without distraction from elsewhere. 

Even Keegan got things wrong. The disbanding of our reserve team was an ultimately shit decision and set us back years in terms of youth development. 

Happy to be proven wrong on Howe's potential, but I think he has a level that the owners will want to blow past.

I think he's a very good manager, certainly capable of taking a struggling side, to comfortable midtable, playing good football on the way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

True enough. I'd love to see the kind of football Howe can get us playing with the kind of players that'll now be available to him. 

I’d say, as long as Howe has us steadily climbing the table over the next few years while Ashworth sorts the dreck out at every other level, he’ll be comfortable in his job for a while yet. It’ll only be when the club should convincingly be challenging for Europe and having cup runs that the real pressure on him will kick in and that’s when you can start judging him alongside the likes of Keegan and Robson who delivered consistent quality at the top end. For now, Howe looks a world above shite like McClaren, Bruce and Carver and that’s what matters for us in the short term.

• Like 5

FWIW, I think Howe is a good coach and he’s definitely capable of finding a system that has a good balance and allows his best players to see a lot of the ball and plays to their strengths. I tend to think top class managers have it in their locker to be reactive in big games and, on a broader scale, consistently build squads through the peaks and transitions when they’re at clubs for a while. Howe certainly did that at Bournemouth (until they hit their ceiling at the end) and only time will tell if he can manage that here and build a squad that’s capable of getting high up. He certainly has the budget for it but you so often see managers get given money and spunk it on shite because they can’t think past mediocrity. Bruno and Trippier are a good start but the summer should be massively transformative if his ambition for the playing side matches the owners.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

far be it from me to be a tell tale, but....

fish reckons you know nowt about the history of our club.

If it was anyone else I’d be mildly irked, but Podcast Percy can lick my taint. :lol:

• Haha 8

Not interested in the critisism of the  playing style this season.

I want to wait until Eddie Howe gets the players he wants in the Summer before passing judgement. I think he will manager for a long time to come. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ken said:

There is an overanylising no idea element that supports every club. Then there are idiots.

:lol:

Which camp are you putting Fish in? 

This must be how Julius Caesar felt. Here I am, building a dry sheet empire, only for ambitious arseholes to turn on me.

I'm expecting Gemmil to Marc Antony this shit.