Eddie Howe

Tom

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

It's not that I don't like data, I enjoy a well written article as much as the next nerd, I just don't like being patronised by a pompous geography teacher 😉

Anyway I thought we were just being light hearted and didn't realise it was annoying you so much, so I'll stop

I Want More GIF

15 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I don’t think stats are nonsense, but saying “mbappe’s xG is 18.674” without any other comparison or context is bollocks. I fully understand it, I just don’t need to revert to stats to make a point or back up an opinion. I don’t mind being proved wrong with stats, but my good friend Dave hasn’t managed to do it yet :lol: Am sure he could, he’s right in some cases that the eyes do indeed lie, but when the best strikers always have a high xG it just reinforces to me that that particular indicator is the indicator of fuck all in isolation 

I think you focus too much on the individual. xG is better for team analysis. Also, a high xG without context isn't the be all and end all, better when you compare it to goals scored or league average or whatever. Saying Mbappe has a high xG isn't saying he's necessarily a good striker, just that he gets a lot of good opportunities. If he's scored 30 goals from 18.674 xG then that's really impressive, if he's scored 5, it's less so. 

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

It's not that I don't like data, I enjoy a well written article as much as the next nerd, I just don't like being patronised by a pompous geography teacher 😉

Anyway I thought we were just being light hearted and didn't realise it was annoying you so much, so I'll stop

I'm not patronising you, I'm condescending to you. 

I'm not annoyed, not really. I enjoy a tete a tete. 

Also, as an aside, the only thing I remember from geography is how an oxbow lake is formed. 

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not patronising you, I'm condescending to you. 

I'm not annoyed, not really. I enjoy a tete a tete. 

Also, as an aside, the only thing I remember from geography is how an oxbow lake is formed. 

Lol me too. Oh hold on...cirques and aretes

Edited by spongebob toonpants

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

This, and I'll stop too, but knowing that it REALLY did annoy him so much is rather tremendous tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Lol me too. Oh hold on...cirques and aretes

That's bullshit for geography nerds. DON'T PATRONISE ME!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Also, as an aside, the only thing I remember from geography is how an oxbow lake is formed

A continuous flow that relentlessly grinds down its surroundings over years and decades, The Fish studied geography at school

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

A continuous flow that relentlessly grinds down its surroundings over years and decades, The Fish studied geography at school

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

comedy dave still has much to learn

I'm endlessly keen to learn, unlike some other people I won't mention. 

Sassy Cartoon GIF

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

steve-bruce.gif

Imagine an alternative universe where the new owners heed the sage advice of merson et al and 'give brucey a chance under the new ownership, see what he can do?' etc, etc. 

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Imagine an alternative universe where the new owners heed the sage advice of merson et al and 'give brucey a chance under the new ownership, see what he can do?' etc, etc. 

They did- just didn’t take them long to “see what he can do”. :lol:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

They did- just didn’t take them long to “see what he can do”. :lol:

No, they were always getting rid, just kept him while they got a new man in and kept the media happy by giving him his 1000th game. I meant imagine if they'd kept him to this point in time and would we now have a shot at maybe making a good run at the play off spots?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

sadly the merson et al included our lion of gosforth.  :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Imagine…

image.png.69799e2abfc82c55711548c139905adf.png

• Like 2