Eddie Howe

Tom

5 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

I've thought Howe would prove to be an amazing appointment from the beginning, but if I'm wrong I'd love Simeone. He gets the hardest man in the west end's approval.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

I've thought Howe would prove to be an amazing appointment from the beginning, but if I'm wrong I'd love Simeone. He gets the hardest man in the west end's approval.

image.gif.a0a6f3a05087288546c0a83be7689b87.gif

• Haha 3

I think you're kidding yourself if you think it'll decrease in the short to medium term. Chelsea are one of the darlings of the media. If they're suffering, they'll want us to as well.

An interview with Yasir Al-Rumayyan and/or other directors would put an end to all this.  Perhaps it needs to be pointed out that nothing changes in Saudi Arabia without more western influence at the top level. The make up of the board should be emphasised;  a woman, Jewish folk... I don't actually beleive any of this will change a thing in Saudi but the club need to get their media/PR department to put a full stop on this.. Maybe at sit down with that sappy twat Dan Roan at the BBC. Something needs to be done because on the face of it Eddie Howe is getting no support whatsoever 

• Like 4

Thread of Howe’s response. Not sure what else they could possibly want or expect after that, I’m sure they will keep repeating it though. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's fucking ridiculous that any of them are facing it tbh. Tuchel had it the other week as well and looked exasperated, and rightly so. 

The fucking media do my head in. All they want to do is have footballing people trip themselves up over political situations to create a story. Utter cunts.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

An interview with Yasir Al-Rumayyan and/or other directors would put an end to all this.  Perhaps it needs to be pointed out that nothing changes in Saudi Arabia without more western influence at the top level. The make up of the board should be emphasised;  a woman, Jewish folk... I don't actually beleive any of this will change a thing in Saudi but the club need to get their media/PR department to put a full stop on this.. Maybe at sit down with that sappy twat Dan Roan at the BBC. Something needs to be done because on the face of it Eddie Howe is getting no support whatsoever 

Spot on. The article that Meenzer recently posted that was an interview with MBS really highlights your point about the importance of western influence if a more progressive SA is what people want, they discuss how Biden is ignoring him and MBS basically says if I don’t look west I’ll just look East. Shut these people out and things don’t improve there, additionally it’s not going to be some overnight thing if we do allow them in it’s going to take a long time. 

Obviously keep pressure/highlighting all of the wrongs they do, as I do think it is important (likely via better channels than sports writers but it is what it is), but this obsession about shutting them out because they’re awful won’t lead to any change within SA. The two ideals can’t really go hand in hand imo, if you don’t want anything to do with them and want them shut out the country that’s an acceptable stand point but people also have to then accept the chances of them changing is significantly narrowed by that - shutting them out doesn’t force change it just means they look to leaderships more accepting of their indiscretions. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

An interview with Yasir Al-Rumayyan and/or other directors would put an end to all this.

Absolutely not. It would be a PR disaster. It’s clear that Saudi values do not align with ours. There’s absolutely nothing that YAR could say, other than a complete admonishment of the Saudi system and rulers, that would satisfy the public.

The Saudis are wrong and barbaric in so many ways. There’s no point in trying to defend the indefensible which is why Howe is staying the fuck out of it and so should the club.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Absolutely not. It would be a PR disaster. It’s clear that Saudi values do not align with ours. There’s absolutely nothing that YAR could say, other than a complete admonishment of the Saudi system and rulers, that would satisfy the public.

The Saudis are wrong and barbaric in so many ways. There’s no point in trying to defend the indefensible which is why Howe is staying the fuck out of it and so should the club.

Agree with this. A soundbite from YAS would benefit NUFC in no way whatsover because it'll never state what the media want to hear. 

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So ignoring it will make it go away? …  it just creates a vacuum iyam that any prick in the media with an axe to grind can pour nonsense into . Eddie Howe needs help. I take your point about how PR can go disastrously wrong (Prince Andrew springs to mind) but he looks like he’s working for Mike Ashley at the moment, sat alone press conferences with no back up. 

I think the mere fact that Howe has engaged with it a bit more today will buy him some respect/leeway from the journalists. If you just refuse to respond, they'll keep on at you because that in itself is a story. 

I think he's done well there today. I don't doubt questions will still come now and again, but he's probably earned himself a bit of a reprieve with today's response. 

They didn't ask him about the 81 executions at the weekend because they wanted his opinion. They asked him because they expected him to refuse to respond. That was their story sorted. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

The questions will eventually go away. This is really only raising its head again because of Russia and Abramovich. Outside of a few journalists on a moral crusade this is largely a non-issue. The club are dealing with it in the right way by sending Howe out and him refusing to comment. You can go two ways, one is to ban questions on the ownership and that isn’t a good look. The other is to do a AMA with YAR and there’s no way he comes out of that looking good. Plus anything he says will still be put to Howe at press conferences.

Mike Ashley got one thing right and that’s when you’re facing criticism just say fuck all.

• Like 1

Again, I think he did well. It’s flared up because of Chelsea, the match and the 81 executions. It will bubble a bit, die down and then flare up. Just the way it will be now.

So much hypocrisy on display though everywhere you look. They have their “laws” and execute people. USA have their laws and execute people. I think we only made it illegal in the late 90’s and the majority of people here want it back.

Im sure as we get the board up and running we will have people who will better talk about these issues.

Frankly it’s an absurd reflection of the world we live in that the Newcastle manager is under more scrutiny re: the Saudi regime than either the Premier League or the PM trying to cement multi-billion pound investment deals with them. I think that Howe does well. At this point I’d have a press officer state at the beginning of press conferences that Howe has given his views on the topic and that any other questions about it will not be answered. The journalists asking the questions have barely got a fucking clue about the subject either, which just adds to the ridiculousness of it all

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4