Eddie Howe

Tom

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

I think all this “Eddie is doing ok, let him face it, it’s working”  is bollocks tbh. Completely agree we shouldn’t try to shut down questions but I think the people at NUFC who actually did did the deal in the first place should be answering for it, not an employee.  At any other corporate entity we’d be getting annihilated for letting this situation continue.  Who knows what EH thinks of being put in this position but if he’s deep down uncomfortable with it all who knows what it could lead to. He’s utterly compromised and the press know it. We as a club are going to have to face it head on at some point and that can only come from the owners. I think they (and the Premier League) should answer questions. If they want to manage the situation , get the right journo etc that’s fine. But avoiding it and using EH is bullshit. And Id further add, fuckin typical. 

I totally get what you're saying but I do think that no matter how well the interview went, it would just end up giving more amunition to those wanting to use it to have a go at us through Howe.  It then just throws up more questions that he's in no place to answer.  But in all of this Stavely and co should be ensuring that Howe isn't struggling with this.  As long as he doesn't feel that he's being hung out to dry then I do think this is the quickest way for it to pass.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The Saudis don't want cultural progress. The status quo is working quite well for them at the moment. If you start making significant strides forward then it ends in a Saudi democracy and that doesn't suit the ruling class.

Of course they don't but that stage of their history is WAY in the future, as was ours.

Let's not forget, as CT says, that the majority of this country want the return of the death penalty too (eye for an eye - i.e. murder results in death). We're not particularly "far ahead" on that metric of civilisation. 54% at the last survey done in 2021.

So our owners get into bed with medieval murdering bastards for their money and then show extreme moral cowardice by not answering pertinent questions at the outset  and let a new employee deal with it all?  Can people not see that they’re acting abominably on this issue which in many ways backs up what people say about the current regime at NUFC? 

Did we think Ashley was less of a cunt for never talking to us? I get that the media are fuckin hypocrites, I get that other fans are opportunistic fuckin arseholes,  but we’re all sticking our heads in the sands here. This should’ve been addressed the week they bought the club, instead of a cosy sit down with those wankers at Sky. I didn’t like the look of Staveley/husband and Jamie Reuben from the outset but I’m a sucker too, I want us to progress as a club but iyam they’ve utterly failed at the first tricky hurdle, worst still they’ve let EH deal with it seemingly on his own. Let’s face it folks, they’re wankers and we called Ashley every blue bastard under the sun for acting in a similar manner. If EH is happy with this I’m plainly talking shite, but ffs, am fucked if I’m making excuses for them. They should front up . Then the focus moves from us and EH to precisely where it should be. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So our owners get into bed with medieval murdering bastards for their money and then show extreme moral cowardice by not answering pertinent questions at the outset  and let a new employee deal with it all?  Can people not see that they’re acting abominably on this issue which in many ways backs up what people say about the current regime at NUFC? 

Did we think Ashley was less of a cunt for never talking to us? I get that the media are fuckin hypocrites, I get that other fans are opportunistic fuckin arseholes,  but we’re all sticking our heads in the sands here. This should’ve been addressed the week they bought the club, instead of a cosy sit down with those wankers at Sky. I didn’t like the look of Staveley/husband and Jamie Reuben from the outset but I’m a sucker too, I want us to progress as a club but iyam they’ve utterly failed at the first tricky hurdle, worst still they’ve let EH deal with it seemingly on his own. Let’s face it folks, they’re wankers and we called Ashley every blue bastard under the sun for acting in a similar manner. If EH is happy with this I’m plainly talking shite, but ffs, am fucked if I’m making excuses for them. They should front up . Then the focus moves from us and EH to precisely where it should be. 

What is there to say? What exactly is it you want them to say?

I mean it's not as if they're delegating it to him, it feels more like the press are specifically targeting him - presumably because they have higher access but also because he's the more obvious face of the team. I assume they could target Staveley but they'd simply be told that business is business. They're asking Howe specifically because he's an actual human being who has chosen to be associated with this - rather than a member of the elite who view us all as ants anyway.

No one at the club is going to come out and say anything bad about the regime.

That said, I applaud the spirit of the comment. You're right in essence, but no one is going to do anything about it. Howe is just an easier target than Staveley for the press though, IMO.

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What is there to say? What exactly is it you want them to say?

That’s not the point I’m making. The focus needs to be changed on to those responsible for the deal. You’re right, it’s indefensible. But let them deal with it…

That’s not the point I’m making. The focus needs to be changed on to those responsible for the deal. You’re right, it’s indefensible. But let them deal with it…

Why do you expect them to? How often do you get Saudis on the political programs doing that? Why the hell would they do it for some football journalists for the North East?

Staveley has given plenty of interviews. Has she been asked? Would it make an ounce of difference if she had?

For all you know they may well have offered to join the presser. He did say he had spoken to them regarding the issues. Personally I’m not sure it would be a great look having her sit next to him and pass tough questions to her.

Maybe Eddie decided the same.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why do you expect them to? How often do you get Saudis on the political programs doing that? Why the hell would they do it for some football journalists for the North East?

Staveley has given plenty of interviews. Has she been asked? Would it make an ounce of difference if she had?

I expect them to answer the questions currently being aimed at the manager, you know, take some responsibility…. 

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

For all you know they may well have offered to join the presser. He did say he had spoken to them regarding the issues. Personally I’m not sure it would be a great look having her sit next to him and pass tough questions to her.

Maybe Eddie decided the same.

Yeah I mentioned that,  if EH is ok with all this (and let’s face it, he’ll hardly be earning pennies) then what I’m saying is irrelevant. It’s a poor look though and it really shouldn’t be him

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I expect them to answer the questions currently being aimed at the manager, you know, take some responsibility…. 

“This is not the Saudi state, it is the Public Investment Fund. I knew there was only one investor for Newcastle and knew this would never be the wrong relationship for the fans and us.”

There you go. That's what Staveley said two weeks ago. Happy now?

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah I mentioned that,  if EH is ok with all this (and let’s face it, he’ll hardly be earning pennies) then what I’m saying is irrelevant. It’s a poor look though and it really shouldn’t be him

Under Ashley we said every manager (with the exception of Keegan) knew what they were getting into. Howe is no different. He knows who his employers are and the scrutiny that comes with the job.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Under Ashley we said every manager (with the exception of Keegan) knew what they were getting into. Howe is no different. He knows who his employers are and the scrutiny that comes with the job.

That scrutiny is wholly unfair IMO.

Probably wrong on this but this is my understanding of the situation.

We are owned by an investment fund which has nothing to do with state policy I.e. the way wars are fought, or executions are carried out. 

Obviously everyone knows there are close ties but the premier leagues own tests showed we weren’t own directly by the state that lay down these policies. 

So why the fuck is a football manager being asked about state policy in a foreign country?

If for example I was employed by the American embassy working in England, would I be expected to answer questions on the USA’s foreign policy? 

• Like 5

Journos are clearly under orders from their editors to continue pressing the point. 

What is indisputable is NUFC were the most recent, and most scrutinised purchase to be approve by the PL's 'Directors & Owners Means Test'. If the media have issue with our ownership then questions should be directed in the PL's direction.

• Like 3

Whether the owners have addressed the issue or not is not going to make a skerrick of difference to the questions Howe has to field. The journalists are not interested in any sort of progress or resolution but rather they're searching for an inflammatory sensationalist headline. They will continue to have direct access to Howe through pre and post match press conferences and the like so Howe's approach is the best one, keep it cordial but give them nothing and stay consistent on that. They'll eventually realise they're not going to get what they want.

• Like 4

Here's a side thought, my own belief.

What is it with all this stuff at the moment, our entire way of life is underpinned by the absolute horrors of extreme globalisation and company externalities. E.G.  selling weapons to horrible entities - producing our electrical goods in chicken farm esque facilities, animals suffering like you wouldn't believe on the grand conveyor belt of "Modern" food production, so we can have our fucking 99p burgers. All our waste and recycling being sent to those that will take the least money for it - etc etc etc .exploitation  is everywhere .  

All this is just "look over there" and not "look at what WE are doing". By buying fuel for our excessive consumption we are bankrolling everything.

You can't buy a pair of jeans at asda for 4 quid and not realise someone is getting fucked somewhere..

It's good news, but that lass who's been released from Iran - after we repay the debt we had sanctioned and refused to pay - because we have to buy oil from them from December onwards.

Britain and US announce ban on Russian oil as economic vice tightens on Putin’s regime | Evening Standard - Effective december.. Big whoop.
Cheery thoughts eh.

Edited by scoobos
added final rant about Banning oil meaning from december.
  • Like 1