Eddie Howe

Tom

2 hours ago, OTF said:

The journalists are not interested in any sort of progress or resolution but rather they're searching for an inflammatory sensationalist headline. 

Absolutely this. If having a relationship with Saudi is such a concern where have all these questions been when the multitude of government, military and commercial deals took place and why aren't they, even now, directed at any of the authorities who actually have the power to do something about it?

And then there's organizations like Amnesty International ffs. Is this what the sum total of their efforts comes down to when dealing with Saudi atrocities? Asking the operational manager of an indirectly associated company thousands of miles away to condemn them? It achieves nothing, it's a pathetic attempt at getting into the headlines. How about call out some of the real power figures in this manner as well? 

Here's a guy who actually just trying to do his job and do it right and he's become an easy target for fashionable bashing by people trying to look good in today's political climate. I think it's absolute rubbish. He is a public figure with responsibilities, yes, but they are limited to the team. If a player said something inappropriate I would expect Howe to say and do something about it, but not for people he has zero control over. 

• Like 4

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10616249/Minister-investigate-assurances-Newcastle-United-gave-Premier-League-Saudi-role-club.html

:lol: I’m sure the Government will be getting right to this, the same government who pretty much backed the deal. 

In fact, here’s the opinion of the Minister they’ve told to look into it:

“The UK’s relationship with Saudi Arabia is really important,” said Huddleston

“Saudi Arabia is an important partner of the UK in investment, intelligence and culture. We welcome Saudi Arabian investment. Many, many jobs in the UK are dependent on our relationship with the Saudis but we take the opportunity to talk frankly and openly with Saudi Arabia. We can have frank exchanges because of the nature of our relationship.”

:lol: I wonder if he’s schedule sent the email response “After looking into the matter I have no concerns about the support received by the PL” or has he just put it into his drafts? 

I think people are also misunderstanding the issue that held up the deal, they used the ask of having MBS submit to the O&D test as a way to block the deal due to the piracy stuff. They didn’t play this angle because he would fail it, they did it knowing he’d never submit to it. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Craig said:

Journos are clearly under orders from their editors to continue pressing the point.

🖕 This bit, Chelski and Abramovich is an oligarch story, the government/Oligarch situation is getting a bit warm, deflect deflect deflect.

Am certain the Nazinin Ratcliffe release is a similarly nicely timed thing, could have been done years ago if Government was willing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Let's not forget, as CT says, that the majority of this country want the return of the death penalty too (eye for an eye - i.e. murder results in death). We're not particularly "far ahead" on that metric of civilisation. 54% at the last survey done in 2021.

Always think that question gets a visceral response but if the respondents were forced to actually consider it they'd change their mind.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Always think that question gets a visceral response but if the respondents were forced to actually consider it they'd change their mind.

I've said it before, but my "favourite" point of interest with it is that the overlap in the venn diagram of people who voted Brexit and those who favour the death penalty is larger than any other considered metric, including opposition to immigration. More Brexiters support the death penalty than oppose immigration.

And I'm not sure this is a demographic that changes their mind.

I'll be quiet now anyway.

28 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've said it before, but my "favourite" point of interest with it is that the overlap in the venn diagram of people who voted Brexit and those who favour the death penalty is larger than any other considered metric, including opposition to immigration. More Brexiters support the death penalty than oppose immigration.

I think it's a group of people who believe having an opinion trumps having actual expertise/insight.

• Like 1

In the interest of full transparency, and this is a shameful admission, I used to work for a company owned by S*m*n J*rd*n.

I have no issue in reporting he was a cunt.

It was also accepted as common knowledge that while it wasn't a sportswashing company there was some laundering going on, allegedly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Anyone who thinks capital punishment works should be strung up. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m in favour of capital punishment for suicide bombers 

It took me longer than I care to admit to appreciate that this was a joke :lol: 

• Haha 4

Just now, Rayvin said:

It took me longer than I care to admit to appreciate that this was a joke :lol: 

It’s also a genuine view expressed on here (LeazesMag) 

• Haha 7