Eddie Howe

Tom

I don't think he should win Manager of the Year, but if we were to rank the PL manager's performances, he must be top 5, right?

Klopp and Guardiola are both in with a shout of a season of multiple trophies. But they've had years and millions to make it happen.

Moyes has turned West Ham from a bit of a joke into a serious top half team, who could win a European title. But he built upon the work he did last season.

Vieira and Frank have quietly done very well at Palace and Brentford respectively. But both are bottom half and could be overtaken by Eddie Howe's beautiful black and white bastards.

Howe has worked wonders with a team that was among the favourites for the drop, no win in 12, disjointed, disorganised, unfit, unmotivated collection of individuals. They're now a squad that's within a shout of top half, is well-drilled, fit, driven and enjoying themselves. 1.45PpG, 40% Win percentage. Get that over 38 games and in an average PL season it'd get you 8th.

• Like 4

If Klopp wins the quadruple, it’s hard to look past him but I’m not sure the likes of Vieira or Frank could have done what Howe has done from the position we were in. I would throw in his transfer business as being the best all season too tbh. I don’t see many others you could make the argument for really. Conte has got a ramshackle Spurs looking lethal but he had plenty to work with

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Conte has got a ramshackle Spurs looking lethal but he had plenty to work with

He wont next season when Harry Kane is in black and white.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, scoobos said:

He wont next season when Harry Kane is in black and white.

Playing Kane in that deeper role with Son & Kulusevski ahead of him has been a bit of a revelation. I doubt he'll be going anywhere in the summer.

"It was knocking on 11.30pm after a 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace night as Eddie Howe stood in the shadow of the Sir Bobby Robson statue at St James' Park posing for pictures with the gaggle of fans who had waited behind to greet the Newcastle manager."

"He was pretty much the last person to leave the stadium - having earlier led Newcastle to their sixth home win in a row. It was the first time any Magpies team had achieved that feat since 2004 - when the club was then led by the legendary Sir Bobby himself."

"Spending time with the fans who had waited in the cold for two hours just to say hello was also the sort of thing the former England boss would do."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12595303/how-eddie-howe-has-transformed-newcastle-and-restored-hope-at-st-james-park-reporters-notebook

• Like 3

28 points from a possible 39 is just unreal.

That'd average out at 82 over the course of a season. In 1995/96 we ended up with 78. 

• Like 3

I remember typing on here (probably around 2009) that nothing (for me) would ever compare to the ride under Keegan, but my god, this is getting close.

Years of misery and shit football followed by a takeover, a new messiah and a turnaround of biblical proportions.

He is just such a class act and getting everything right. He even has a mad sidekick :lol: 

I know the official line about future progress etc, but given we are currently 9th with the limited squad we have, you can’t help but think great things are coming next year.

The bloke is simply magnificent and the ride so far is a fairytale.

Wonderful times :) 

• Like 4

Tindall is fucking hilarious like. Utter caricature, fairly certain he gets more orange each game. He must have been right in his fucking element when they went to Dubai. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I remember typing on here (probably around 2009) that nothing (for me) would ever compare to the ride under Keegan, but my god, this is getting close.

I know it’s exciting given the shite we’ve had for over a decade but get a bit of perspective. We’re not challenging for the title, we’re not playing European football… yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I know it’s exciting given the shite we’ve had for over a decade but get a bit of perspective. We’re not challenging for the title, we’re not playing European football… yet.

In fairness to CT the utter happiness in the Keegan times happened well before the European stuff and title challenges.

From day one the time was magic. That match against Bristol City man.

"Geordies are back! Geordies are back! Hello Hello"

Edited by Dougle
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Neither were we at the start of Keegan reign.  I’m just highlighting the similarities of the overall situation. 

The preceding doom and gloom, the initial challenges, the turnaround, the feel good factor and optimism. 

Feels very similar to me so far. 

• Like 4

good read from post 1,619 on red cafe's general football forum with input from supporters of numerous clubs. loathe to give credit to an everton fan but hat doffed to silent witness who states a very reasoned case on wor beheadie. surprisingly there's no input from any mackems, you'd have thought their considered opinion that howe is a talentless, shite sympathiser for the murder of millions of babies would've enhanced the conversation!

anyway, if you can be arsed....

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-lets-talk-about-eddie-howe.442511/page-41

• Like 1

I knew all the stuff about how well we've done since the turn of the year, but I didn't realise that stat they put up on MOTD last night:

If the season had started when Howe took over, we'd currently be 5th in the table. :lol:

That's got to put the shits up some of the teams above us, especially considering the adjustment period at the start which we won't have at the start of next season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If the season had started when Howe took over, we'd currently be 5th in the table. :lol:

This is why he should be manager of the season if we finish strongly. That's incredible as it still took a while for his influence to translate to results and of course he had two months before the squad could be strengthened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

This is why he should be manager of the season if we finish strongly. That's incredible as it still took a while for his influence to translate to results and of course he had two months before the squad could be strengthened.

It's also the perfect retort to any div saying he's only got the same points as Bruce last season. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If he kicks on next season we might struggle to keep him tbh….incredible job he’s done. 

Cant see him walking away if we’ve kicked on. Surely he’ll want to see how far he can go with his team.

I think he’ll be here for years IF his family can settle when they move up. That’s the biggest danger. Sons are 11 and 9 ish and got to be very hard for an 11 year old to ditch all his long time pals.