Eddie Howe

Tom

36 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

We’re about as high in the league as we conceivably could be, the other surprise is Arsenal being above us and not Liverpool. We’re six points behind and the two above us both have a game in hand. We were top for three months the season we signed Bellamy & Robert. That was a challenge for the title, this is a challenge for the top 4 only iyam :cuppa:

I just get annoyed when people - particularly clueless pundits - completely rule certain teams out just because they’re not historically successful. It happened throughout Leicester’s title-winning season.  

Man City will probably win it because they have the best squad. I don’t expect us to win the title but we are definitely in the race as things stand. Let’s see what happens in January. We have team spirit, momentum, unity, a brilliant coach and money to spend. We’re also playing with a freedom that comes when you are performing massively ahead of expectations. And we don’t have the European games 

• Like 3

Top 6 is now a solid aim. We are going to go through a rough patch and it's how we respond. Scousers are gonna pick up form at some point and I think arsenal may have a dip in form. But tbh I think they won't drop lower than 2nd. They fully deserve where they are. 

I mean even now it’s fairytale stuff, but if you think of the extra points we should have had and some of the stats out there, meanest defence etc, then we certainly do have a chance. 

A return of Izak, a sprinkle of dosh in January and our superb fitness all stand us in good stead. 

It’s on man :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I mean even now it’s fairytale stuff, but if you think of the extra points we should have had and some of the stats out there, meanest defence etc, then we certainly do have a chance. 

A return of Izak, a sprinkle of dosh in January and our superb fitness all stand us in good stead. 

It’s on man :lol: 

Who are you and what have you done with CT?

• Haha 1

WC and Europe might fuck things around in our favour.  I’d like to see a statistical comparison of % of players at the World Cup for the top ten teams. Correlated with European involvement.  On my desk by 2pm.  

• Haha 4

It's dare to dream stuff for sure.

There'll be two crucial periods in the season that we'll have to get through for top 4 to be properly on for real for me. First is how we start post-WC combined with how the window shapes up. Losing momentum is a real possibility. Avoid that and we can get up and running again and push the pace. Then comes the point at which the dream becomes a potential reality. Last 5-10 games when it's pressure for real to secure top 4.

I think that is totally doable. 

I don't think doing a Leicester is possible. Obviously, wouldnt it be amazing to be wrong? But didn't Man City shit the bed that season and drop out of it? That won't happen. And they're fuckin properly scary. Arsenal could collapse. But Man City is much less likely. We'd basically have to maintain our current form to even have a chance. That actually seems impossible.

But top 4 is on like donkey kong. Then it really gets interesting from next season. We'll be after them for real then.

This is an amazing time for us. I'm driving the missus mental trying to get her to be as amazed as I am by the last 12 months. Whatever happens its a brilliant ride we're in for. 

• Like 1

I think the World Cup could be a good turning point for our team.

We have many players who are not going to go to the tournament and are going to stay training and recovering, continuing to train and understand how the team works.

They will only go to the World Cup: Pope, Trippier, Schar, Fraser and Bruno safely. Maybe Wilson can go. And maybe Botman can go.

Instead, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, Man City or Tottenham will have between 10 and 15 players called up for the World Cup approximately.

We have a very good run of games, I think it would be important to make 2 or 3 friendlies in this time that we can win and we can recover the physical tone of Saint Maximin, Isak and company.

• Like 2

It definitely makes sense that we'll be advantaged by having rested players. But I don't think it necessarily works that way in practice. For instance, Howe was asked a few games back about resting Wilson periodically to manage his injuries. He basically said he wouldn't even consider it as a lot of the time players simply need to play to maintain their edge. (Paraphrasing) 

I tend to agreet with Howe's approach of continuity over rotation. I think there's too much made of rotation and sometimes it's better to keep a good thing going. Not saying we won't benefit from rested legs compared to other teams with half their squad at the WC, particularly at the back end of the season when fatigued really builds up. I think though it isn't as simple as saying we'll benefit from the rest and others will suffer and that's that. 

I sure hope those at the club don't assume as much because who knows how players will react after this weird ass WC. Maybe some come back fired up, others dejected and in need of a rest. Who knows. But as for our squad players getting rested up. That's great but sometimes too there's no substitute for matches. Time will tell. I hope the rest does us good and all the clubs above us come back with some strange desert based chronic fatigued type funk and we start on Boxing Day like we're making up for lost time. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

They will only go to the World Cup: Pope, Trippier, Schar, Fraser and Bruno safely. Maybe Wilson can go. And maybe Botman can go.

That'll be news to the entire country of Scotland.

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

50/1 to win it in Bet365. It’s dropping by the minute 

Best odds though. I think 50/1 is probably more across the board. Actually the bookies think Man City have won it already. Mad we’re even entertaining the possibility re: ourselves though

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ewerk said:

That'll be news to the entire country of Scotland.

I’ve just read that and thought  “well if Diego is saying Scotland actually did qualify that’s more than good enough for me!!” 😃 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Haha 7

I mean Diego has provided a narrative with some solid reasoning but there is an absolute open goal here for Fish to whip up some Venn diagrams and solid statistics.  By 2pm.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Best odds though. I think 50/1 is probably more across the board. Actually the bookies think Man City have won it already. Mad we’re even entertaining the possibility re: ourselves though

You can get 70s if you go through an exchange but the best odds currently are 50/1 across sportbooks. Coral, Boylesports and Ladbrokes have brought us in to 40/1. We're the clear 3rd favourites.

3 hours ago, trophyshy said:

WC and Europe might fuck things around in our favour.  I’d like to see a statistical comparison of % of players at the World Cup for the top ten teams. Correlated with European involvement.  On my desk by 2pm.  

V.Likely %= Percentage of their squad that is very likely going to the World Cup.

Possibly %= Percentage of their squad that could possibly go to the World Cup in total.

image.png.274c84a52daab226224e39f67e3cb178.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I’ve just read that and thought  “well if Diego is saying Scotland actually did qualify that’s more than good enough for me!!” 😃 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Once FIFA get word Scotland will be added as the 33rd team.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Top 6 is now a solid aim. We are going to go through a rough patch and it's how we respond. Scousers are gonna pick up form at some point and I think arsenal may have a dip in form. But tbh I think they won't drop lower than 2nd. They fully deserve where they are. 

top 4 is a solid aim. there is no reason why it shouldn't be given what we've seen after a third of the season. there's only man city really who look a different class, with their squad depth, coach and freakishly good centre forward.  we have to play arsenal too but none of the other teams competing for the champions league places particularly scare me.

before the season started, the consensus was that top 8/9 would be good progress, but i would be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 6 after this start. our issue remains the lack of depth, but we will buy one or two more in january, i'm sure. and howe's ability to improve players we previously felt weren't good enough means it bothers me less than it once did.

challenging for the title is probably beyond us but i'm going to enjoy it as long as we are up there. the freedom we're playing with i mentioned in my last post is so important but it might conversely be the thing that stops us. if we're still in the mix for the run in, the players will get nervy. this will be a new experience for most of them. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

V.Likely %= Percentage of their squad that is very likely going to the World Cup.

Possibly %= Percentage of their squad that could possibly go to the World Cup in total.

image.png.274c84a52daab226224e39f67e3cb178.png

Probables 

Bruno

Schar

Trippier

Pope

Possibles 

Wilson

Joelinton

Botman

Burn

Anyone else? 🤔

18 minutes ago, OTF said:

Once FIFA get word Scotland will be added as the 33rd team.

Btw, aren’t there going to be 48 teams in the next one? Fucking mental