Howe's Midfield General's v Brentford's Plummeting Palpitation Pastry Plebs

wykikitoon

I could be wrong but I think the total needed for staying up is going to be lower than 36 this season. I'd say it's going to be 34, maybe even 32. Watford and Norwich for a start are incredibly unlikely to amass the 15 and 17 points respectively to reach 34 in their 12 remaining games. Then it's just a case of who's going to join them. The way Brentford's form is going can you see them getting 10 points in 11 games? Maybe Eriksen will give them a boost, but who knows. As for Leeds maybe they'll get a manager bounce if Bielsa is sacked as is looking likely, but there's no guarantee, and then you still have Everton and Burnley down there who have more games in hand, and Burnley are looking to be a building a run of form, but Everton really need to look over their shoulders regardless of games in hand, and a perceived better on paper squad than those below them and immediately above them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I was watching the True Faith post match reaction thing, and the lad in the ground was saying Joelinton was the last player to leave the pitch, and he just stood in front of the fans for a good 2 to 3 minutes by himself getting his name sung and loving life. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I could be wrong but I think the total needed for staying up is going to be lower than 36 this season. I'd say it's going to be 34, maybe even 32. Watford and Norwich for a start are incredibly unlikely to amass the 15 and 17 points respectively to reach 34 in their 12 remaining games. Then it's just a case of who's going to join them. The way Brentford's form is going can you see them getting 10 points in 11 games? Maybe Eriksen will give them a boost, but who knows. As for Leeds maybe they'll get a manager bounce if Bielsa is sacked as is looking likely, but there's no guarantee, and then you still have Everton and Burnley down there who have more games in hand, and Burnley are looking to be a building a run of form, but Everton really need to look over their shoulders regardless of games in hand, and a perceived better on paper squad than those below them and immediately above them. 

Burley won't be relegated. Look at their for and against. They're the best team below us currently form wise, they're hard to beat for a team down there and they've been on the improve in attack.

Everton don't like a fight but have enough talent to keep clear. It's Brentford and Leeds that need to worry with not long to turn things around. In particular Brentford.

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I was watching the True Faith post match reaction thing, and the lad in the ground was saying Joelinton was the last player to leave the pitch, and he just stood in front of the fans for a good 2 to 3 minutes by himself getting his name sung and loving life. 

ASM would have been slaughtered for that sort of behaviour.

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

ASM would have been slaughtered for that sort of behaviour.

Not if he ran his arse off in attack AND defense for 90 minutes first. And even if he didn't he'd not be slaughtered for it given we won.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OTF said:

Burley won't be relegated. Look at their for and against. They're the best team below us currently form wise, they're hard to beat for a team down there and they've been on the improve in attack.

Everton don't like a fight but have enough talent to keep clear. It's Brentford and Leeds that need to worry with not long to turn things around. In particular Brentford.

everton could very easily be in the bottom 3 by tuesday night. 

I reckon there's a reasonable possibility they'll stop there, or by god I hope so.

think you're right about burnley, leeds might well get a new manager bounce, maybe brentford a lift from eriksen?

or maybe I'm letting me heart rule me head a bit?!

• Like 1

Just now, thebrokendoll said:

I reckon there's a reasonable possibility they'll stop there, or by god I hope so.

think you're right about burnley, leeds might well get a new manager bounce, maybe brentford a lift from eriksen?

The thing working against Everton is their imbalanced squad lacking hard workers with physicality. They got outmuscled by Shelvey and had no answer to it.

I haven't looked at their games but if they're mid table sides with not much to play for they may pick up some points.

• Like 1

Just now, OTF said:

The thing working against Everton is their imbalanced squad lacking hard workers with physicality. They got outmuscled by Shelvey and had no answer to it.

I haven't looked at their games but if they're mid table sides with not much to play for they may pick up some points.

if they drop in to the bottom 3 this week, march is massive for them, particularly the latter part with a home game against us and finishing the month away to watford.

if they're in the bottom 3 going in to april I desperately hope that's where they stay.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

One thing about Leeds etc, they've been in a relegation scrap before.  Frank Lampard's Everton haven't to my knowledge and that could be key.

I don't get all this 'Everton have a strong squad' talk. Viduka, Martins, Owen,  Ameobi and Caroll was our front line alone. They still have to play: Tottenham(a),  Wolves (h), us(h), Watford (a) West Ham (a), Manchester United(h),  Palace(h), Liverpool,(a) Chelsea(h), Leicester(a), Brentford(h),  Arsenal(a). I think Watford may get something off them. They could get something off us. They should beat Brentford but Brentford may start to turn things around. Maybe even something against Palace. I think Everton are done for this year. Most of their points came at the very start of the season. I think they would have been better sticking with Rafa. I think it is toxic. When they played us, they wanted none of it. When are Philips and Bamford back? That will make a huge difference.

19 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I don't get all this 'Everton have a strong squad' talk. Viduka, Martins, Owen,  Ameobi and Caroll was our front line alone. They still have to play: Tottenham(a),  Wolves (h), us(h), Watford (a) West Ham (a), Manchester United(h),  Palace(h), Liverpool,(a) Chelsea(h), Leicester(a), Brentford(h),  Arsenal(a). I think Watford may get something off them. They could get something off us. They should beat Brentford but Brentford may start to turn things around. Maybe even something against Palace. I think Everton are done for this year. Most of their points came at the very start of the season. I think they would have been better sticking with Rafa. I think it is toxic. When they played us, they wanted none of it. When are Philips and Bamford back? That will make a huge difference.

They'll be back for their upcoming match against Villa apparently (Philips and Bamford, that is). 

22 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Bamford coming back is bigger than Philips IMO.

I think the improvement in our defence enabling us to push up the pitch is what Philips offers Leeds. I think both have been a massive miss to them. I also want to ses Everton go down. I am just buzzing as we still have Wilson, ASM and Trippier to return for us at different points in time. Anyone know what is happening with Fernández? 

9 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: 

42828AC0-8D11-4ECC-9B35-8262F2B898DF.jpeg

Love how Dan Burn finds himself next to Ryan Fraser all the time. If it wasn't for Trippier standing on Burn's other side I'd say he was behind it.

Edited by OTF
  • Haha 2

I'm still on the cautious side of the fence I think. We've done absolutely brilliantly against the sides we needed to put to the sword, the defence all of a sudden looks organised and each player knows their job. Im a Krafth critic but even he played well yesterday both defending and going forward. 

I'd have said our midfield 3 have been the biggest difference to our fortunes as all 3 are unrecognisable from who they were during the first months of the season, but that would be an injustice also to the likes of Fraser and Murphy who have been tireless in attack.

Top and bottom of it, is that from front to back and inside out this club has been transformed from the poisonous void it was back in September to something which the fans and players now believe in. Howe and his team have been integral to that, as much as the new owners have. I'm trying to temper any excitement until we are mathematically safe as it only takes a few poor results to get sucked in but it's difficult not to be excited when you see what has been done in just a few months. 

• Like 7