Renewable Energy

Asprilla

I’m sure that most of us would love it if the world could run on “free” clean energy.

I’ve heard that it actually takes a lot of rare earth materials and other less than “green” byproducts to make clean energy.

Nuclear is clean but not renewable and also vulnerable to all kinds of attacks/accidents.

On a related note, one thing that strikes me as odd is why electric cars don’t have removable batteries.

Waiting for an hour or two to charge a car is a pain in the arse.

Theoretically if they were limited to a few standard sizes you could just get the battery replaced at the station and carry on.

Presumably there’s a good reason why this can’t happen?

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Renewables are already the cheapest form of energy. It’s imperative we make the transition, it’s also cost effective. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/06/15/renewable-energy-is-now-the-cheapest-option-even-without-subsidies/?sh=a46f7455a6b2

So what’s the hold up?

Is it just a case of needing new infrastructure or are the other forces preventing it?

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Scotland produces about 90% of its electricity through renewables.

So does it export most of its North Sea oil or do they just not produce as much any more?

45 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I’m sure that most of us would love it if the world could run on “free” clean energy.

I’ve heard that it actually takes a lot of rare earth materials and other less than “green” byproducts to make clean energy.

Nuclear is clean but not renewable and also vulnerable to all kinds of attacks/accidents.

On a related note, one thing that strikes me as odd is why electric cars don’t have removable batteries.

Theoretically if they were limited to a few standard sizes you could just get the battery replaced at the station and carry on.

45 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Have you seen the size of a battery pack in a car? 

A9149A30-CE4E-4555-8901-27B2D57FA723.jpeg.c848cc66de0a3eadc609b5df08a3227d.jpeg

Also, you can add 200 miles to a car in 20mins now

6 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

So what’s the hold up?

Is it just a case of needing new infrastructure or are the other forces preventing it?

we subsidise the fossil fuel industry. It takes investment to change the energy source. Heating homes for example is a very expensive transition - it’s not as simple as switching energy supply. Old gas boilers have to be replaced etc.

Making the switch will also affect livelihoods but that can’t be the argument for not making the transition because climate change will destroy far more - particularly in the global south. The transition will also create jobs and wealth but it requires investment and political will, which has been absent so far thanks to the influential fossil fuel lobbyists. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Have you seen the size of a battery pack in a car? 

A9149A30-CE4E-4555-8901-27B2D57FA723.jpeg.c848cc66de0a3eadc609b5df08a3227d.jpeg

Also, you can add 200 miles to a car in 20mins now

is that right? That’s pretty good…

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

we subsidise the fossil fuel industry. It takes investment to change the energy source. Heating homes for example is a very expensive transition - it’s not as simple as switching energy supply. Old gas boilers have to be replaced etc.

Making the switch will also affect livelihoods but that can’t be the argument for not making the transition because climate change will destroy far more - particularly in the global south. The transition will also create jobs and wealth but it requires investment and political will, which has been absent so far thanks to the influential fossil fuel lobbyists. 

Aren’t there subsidies for green energy too though?