Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

He also very regularly says both things “Paqueta 100% happening” “Paqueta 100% not happening”, then he will delete the one that turns out wrong, and retweet the one that was right, he also tweets ambiguous things like “big progress on targets mentioned here today”. I will say some of the things he mentions align with things I sometimes here (in my role as least arsed itk ever) but they could also be public knowledge. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Howay said:

There’s sadly a chance he’s right, I’d heard Nickson was really arguing that bit Edwards mentioned about him not playing in a position we need and that we should spend elsewhere. Personally I think it’s a massive need, our midfield is painful - complete lack of creativity and chance creation, cannot retain the ball, I still think CM/attacking mid is a massive priority. 

Bruno playing more regularly with a mobile striker ahead of him will, I think, improve the creativity in midfield.  But we definitely need someone else better than Frazer/Miggy to really take advantage of that.  So I can see where they would be coming from saying that we don't necessarily need someone like Paquetta desperately at the moment. 

Have we ever really been linked with Paquetta btw?  Or is it just because he's Bruno's mate?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

Bruno playing more regularly with a mobile striker ahead of him will, I think, improve the creativity in midfield.  But we definitely need someone else better than Frazer/Miggy to really take advantage of that.  So I can see where they would be coming from saying that we don't necessarily need someone like Paquetta desperately at the moment. 

Have we ever really been linked with Paquetta btw?  Or is it just because he's Bruno's mate?

Some of our scouts really want Paqueta (like the one I know), but Nickson has been strongly arguing against it. We’ve spoken to Lyon a lot about him but have always been miles apart on price. 

I agree we need forwards, but I still maintain our midfield is dogshit and we can’t just rely on hoping Bruno plays the entire season. Our possession stats are completely crap and it’s caused by Shelvey, Willock, Longstaff losing possession and wayward passes. I also think Joelinton is a fairly poor passer of the ball in that his range of passing is almost non existent (I do really like the other things he brings to the team). 

Just now, Howay said:

Some of our scouts really want Paqueta (like the one I know), but Nickson has been strongly arguing against it. We’ve spoken to Lyon a lot about him but have always been miles apart on price. 

I agree we need forwards, but I still maintain our midfield is dogshit and we can’t just rely on hoping Bruno plays the entire season. Our possession stats are completely crap and it’s caused by Shelvey, Willock, Longstaff losing possession and wayward passes. I also think Joelinton is a fairly poor passer of the ball in that his range of passing is almost non existent (I do really like the other things he brings to the team). 

I mean after arguing for years that our midfield is absolutely dogshit, I'm not about to say that I now think it's quality just because of one signing.  Like you say, it's hoping for a lot to expect Bruno to be fit all season, and it's maybe also a bit much to expect Joelinton to keep playing the way he has.  I'm not personally convinced that any of our other midfielders are good enough to be first choice even where we immediately want to be, let alone looking further ahead.  I guess I'm just saying that I can understand why they might look at and think forwards are the players who can help us make the biggest forward move (I mean this is nearly always the case with any club and is why attacking players come at a premium).  I'd certainly like to see both though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Howay said:

But Ciggy Longstaff

8 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I mean after arguing for years that our midfield is absolutely dogshit, I'm not about to say that I now think it's quality just because of one signing.  Like you say, it's hoping for a lot to expect Bruno to be fit all season, and it's maybe also a bit much to expect Joelinton to keep playing the way he has.  I'm not personally convinced that any of our other midfielders are good enough to be first choice even where we immediately want to be, let alone looking further ahead.  I guess I'm just saying that I can understand why they might look at and think forwards are the players who can help us make the biggest forward move (I mean this is nearly always the case with any club and is why attacking players come at a premium).  I'd certainly like to see both though.

Agree, wasn’t meaning you were saying our midfield was good btw I saw your post as more saying the forwards are priority and the midfield can be serviceable if it comes to it but you want improvements in both. I was just meaning imo the forwards and CM are almost equal priority to me (with the front line edging it), I’d absolutely love Paqueta in but I also think that we probably need a proper DM more - like Sangare or Bissouma. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

But Ciggy Longstaff

:lol: 

What did he say on that? I thought it had been fairly public for a long time that a deal was in the works? Maybe I’m wrong and your man nailed it, as I say it’s possible that he does know someone through someone like I do (I assume he would then actively ask whereas I just get messaged now and again when the lads excited or pissed off about something :lol:but it’s hard to tell as like AH says he largely just repeats things that are in public and very quickly changes his tune if one reporter says something contrary to his posts. 

Edited by Howay

40 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

This can only be good news.. Eddie Howe’s nephew makes me nervous #jordanibe20mill

Aye Howe’s nephews opinions on players are largely unambitious. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Howay said:

He also very regularly says both things “Paqueta 100% happening” “Paqueta 100% not happening”, then he will delete the one that turns out wrong, and retweet the one that was right, he also tweets ambiguous things like “big progress on targets mentioned here today”. I will say some of the things he mentions align with things I sometimes here (in my role as least arsed itk ever) but they could also be public knowledge. 

He is a dickhead looking for twitter likes and idiots to follow him.

I did quote this no-nothing in January because he was a joke and he was a laugh particularly because Wykiki had a man crush on him and took his word for gospel :lol:

• Like 1

I think we’re only a Paquetta or a Christian Eriksen away from a very good midfield. Bruno, big brilliant Joe 7 + a new playmaker as first choice with Shelvey, Willock and Longstaff as our reserves is canny enough. 

• Like 2

Sign Riechedly Bazoer from Vitesse on a free transfer. Solid midfielder who has the ability to playmake, tackle, hit the long ball and can carry the ball. Needs a big club to motivate him and players like bruno who have more clout around him. I got on the forum to let you guys know this guy can play in our midfield.

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think we’re only a Paquetta or a Christian Eriksen away from a very good midfield. Bruno, big brilliant Joe 7 + a new playmaker as first choice with Shelvey, Willock and Longstaff as our reserves is canny enough. 

We will get the players that are required under Howe. I had faith in him from the beginning it will follow through with me. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season